2018 Youth Spring Turkey Hunt Contest Official Thread-Deadline is April 29

letinmfly

Once again this year I will be running the youth spring turkey hunt contest, with the help of Paula and Wooly as judges.  If any of the members take a youth out and they are successful please take the time to participate in the contest.  Lets grow this contest and get the youngsters involved!! 

This thread will serve as the official rules and entry thread for the youth hunt.  This year there will be three judges... Wooly, Paula and myself.  We will judge the contestants based on the following rules...

1. The youth hunter or mentor must submit a picture of the youth or of the two of them with their harvest.

2. A brief story of the hunt, preferably written by the youth, must be submitted.

3. You must post both your picture and story on this thread only!!! PLEASE DO NOT START ANOTHER THREAD FOR THE CONTEST ENTRY!!

4. The deadline for submitting your entry is 12:00am ( midnight ) on April 29.  So if you harvest a bird make sure to enter it on this thread before then!!

The winner will be chosen based on a combination of best picture and story submitted.  The size of the bird WILL NOT be taken into account, although we encourage that you post the birds stats.  As far as the judges are concerned all birds harvested are a trophy!!

There will be some great prizes given away this year and we wish everyone a safe and successful hunt!!!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Ok. This is Dom's story...

The night before the season, me, my brother and uncle roosted a few jakes, Tom's and hens. The next morning we set up about 80 yrs from them.  They all flew down to the bottom of the hill where we couldn't see them, but they gobbled alot.  About a hr went by, and we heard a bunch of gobbling just over the hill. My uncle told me to call get ready, and a few minutes later, 8 Jake's were only 20 yrd away. I had to wait to shoot because they were too close together. Everytime I'd get ready to shoot, my uncle would stop because he wanted to make sure I didn't shoot 2. The longer I waited the more nervous I got.  My uncle kept telling me to calm down and breathe.  Finally one Jake stepped away from the others, and I shot. He went down. Buy the time we got to him, he stopped flopping.  I had my first turkey.  I was very exciting. 

He weighed 13# and had a 3 3/4” beard.  

IMG_20180421_071228856.jpg

• Like 12

Once again this year I will be running the youth spring turkey hunt contest, with the help of Paula and Wooly as judges.  If any of the members take a youth out and they are successful please take the time to participate in the contest.  Lets grow this contest and get the youngsters involved!! 

This thread will serve as the official rules and entry thread for the youth hunt.  This year there will be three judges... Wooly, Paula and myself.  We will judge the contestants based on the following rules...

1. The youth hunter or mentor must submit a picture of the youth or of the two of them with their harvest.

2. A brief story of the hunt, preferably written by the youth, must be submitted.

3. You must post both your picture and story on this thread only!!! PLEASE DO NOT START ANOTHER THREAD FOR THE CONTEST ENTRY!!

4. The deadline for submitting your entry is 12:00am ( midnight ) on April 29.  So if you harvest a bird make sure to enter it on this thread before then!!

The winner will be chosen based on a combination of best picture and story submitted.  The size of the bird WILL NOT be taken into account, although we encourage that you post the birds stats.  As far as the judges are concerned all birds harvested are a trophy!!

There will be some great prizes given away this year and we wish everyone a safe and successful hunt!!!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

Are you picking the winners? I’ve got some stuff to mail out just let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Was looking forward to reading more youth hunt stories too Paula. Seeing and hearing about the young hunters, always makes me smile! Their youthful excitement is so refreshing! 

With my grandson playing on three baseball teams, we just weren't able to get out this year for youth season. That and another medical procedure for me a couple of weeks ago.  But we will be getting together for regular season hunts, whenever his schedule allows, in May. We're both looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, letinmfly said:

Dom congrats on being this years winner. I’ll get your prizes mailed out to you next week as I’ll be away hunting this week.  

Due to lack of interest in this contest this will be the last year I will be holding it. 

Thanks you for holding the contest this yr.  Can't believe Dom was the only one to share.  Last yr there were several. Sad to hear you won't be holding it again next year, but I don't blame you. I know of a couple other youths that we're not successful this youth season, and I share the bounty with them as well as Dom.  

I'll post a pic of Dom and the package. Good luck hunting this week. Looks like nice weather is finally arriving. 

• Like 2

Congrats Mowin & Dom! I know its over now, but I wasnt sure what was happening here with nobody entering. I would have entered my step son, but he had hunted with his dad and id have to do my best to relay the story here lol. He missed a big bird Saturday and was rewarded with a jake at 10 steps while laying behind his decoy, Sunday. It happened so fast. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2

Congrats Dom and mowin!

I asked Haley to send me her story for the contest, but she never got it to me. I ended up being super busy over the weekend, so I didnt get after her on it.

Thanks for running the contest, I hope this isnt the last year for it though. Ill PM you soon, maybe we can come up with some ideas to generate more interest.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Congrats Dom and mowin!

I asked Haley to send me her story for the contest, but she never got it to me. I ended up being super busy over the weekend, so I didnt get after her on it.

Thanks for running the contest, I hope this isnt the last year for it though. Ill PM you soon, maybe we can come up with some ideas to generate more interest.

If I can help to make a next year youth contest happen, let me know.

• Like 1