Scared?

G-Man

So on comparing the past two years harvest. It seems most change has occurred with bow dropping harvest no. And crossbow picking up the difference. One could assume that some biwhunters have switched toncrossbow for those.2 weeks and simply taken their harvest with the crossbow.. other than that the harvest is about the same

20180403_151505.thumb.jpg.0485fea4028771e5d747a9011f74b2e5.jpg

What does the "*" mean next to Bowhunting and Muzzleloader?  

Not sure that you can infer bow hunters foregoing a harvest until the xbow season.  I'd be more inclined to believe that there are more rifle hunters buying xbows who don't bow hunt.  Not sure how the stats could prove or disprove that theory though.

Edited by Jdubs

Because some think the xbow season, especially full inclusion will eventually shorten the overall bow season do to a increase in harvest. 

Hence, their "scared"

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

I wonder if DEC views less than 10,000 as statistically significant given the likely sampling errors involved in the inexact way they collect data.  I didn't do well in statistics in college (mostly because I never showed up for class with all my important extracurricular activities) but I would question its significance.

• Like 1

One of those 11,758 is mine! :biggrin:

If it wasn't for the abbreviated x-bow season, I would have killed a big fat ZERO deer last year!

The only part that scares me is seeing the season after season fly by without full inclusion opportunities.

Some of us aren't getting any younger and got nothing left to prove any more with vertical archery equipment....... :(

Been there, done that.., time to move on.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Just guessing that it's a harvest report based on tag allocations.

Your probably correct.I'm a Dummy but some where road kills need to be documented as well.

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

Interesting chart but what I find most interesting is the last two years across the board are significantly lower than the previous 5 year averages.

Which is why there are no deer now.. shot to many back then

46 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Which is why there are no deer now.. shot to many back then

Based on last years season I would have to agree but after this week I am beginning to think they are either getting smarter or I am getting dumber. This week behind our house on two different nights we counted 28 & 27 at once after not seeing any since October, Just about every day this week there has been at least seven at a time.

The other interesting part of the chart is the Older buck harvest increase. Tells me that maybe less bucks are being born OR hunters are being more selective.

Edited by Steve D

4 hours ago, Dom said:

Your probably correct.I'm a Dummy but some where road kills need to be documented as well.

This is just the hunting portion of take.

When they incorporate deer car collisions, farm issues, carrying capacity/biologists, etc.....what DEC terms stakeholders......they use that total input to set tag numbers to reflect that info. Since they basically only have general hunting, DDP, DMAP permits to control population and general hunting is the biggest factor for take off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Take a ride on some country roads and you will see deer all over the place . 

I know but I'm sick of hearing people.say there are no deer.  I can fill.every.tag every year here if I wanted

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

Based on last years season I would have to agree but after this week I am beginning to think they are either getting smarter or I am getting dumber. This week behind our house on two different nights we counted 28 & 27 at once after not seeing any since October, Just about every day this week there has been at least seven at a time.

The other interesting part of the chart is the Older buck harvest increase. Tells me that maybe less bucks are being born OR hunters are being more selective.

I think people are more selective,  and are afraid to shoot doe because it may screw up my chance at that monster buck.. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, G-Man said:

So on comparing the past two years harvest. It seems most change has occurred with bow dropping harvest no. And crossbow picking up the difference. One could assume that some biwhunters have switched toncrossbow for those.2 weeks and simply taken their harvest with the crossbow.. other than that the harvest is about the same

20180403_151505.thumb.jpg.0485fea4028771e5d747a9011f74b2e5.jpg

What's a bi whunter? Is that someone who hunts with either?  Lol

16 hours ago, mowin said:

Because some think the xbow season, especially full inclusion will eventually shorten the overall bow season do to a increase in harvest. 

Hence, their "scared"

I'm a pretty staunch anti-crossbow guy, and I've never heard that argument once. 

16 hours ago, wooly said:

One of those 11,758 is mine! :biggrin:

If it wasn't for the abbreviated x-bow season, I would have killed a big fat ZERO deer last year!

The only part that scares me is seeing the season after season fly by without full inclusion opportunities.

Some of us aren't getting any younger and got nothing left to prove any more with vertical archery equipment....... :(

Been there, done that.., time to move on.

It would be interesting to know what portion of the archery deer were taken during the open xbow season. I know mine was. Those 2 weeks are some of the best weeks in the woods. Also some hunters may lower their standards knowing that time is running short.

Not trying to make any argument, just curious how those numbers and success rates factor into the rut activity. I can't remember the stat but I want to say it's something high like 80% or up of all gun kills are opening weekend. 

17 hours ago, Belo said:

i don't understand the title "scared?"

He is trolling those against crossbow legislation.

I'm not scared and surely not surprised. I don't think anyone is surprised by the number and it will continue to go up when you can hunt with a implement that is basically a gun during bow season. poking-with-stick-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by chas0218

I think every hunter should be required to kill a doe with an atlatl before they can hunt for a buck and then they can use any implement they want.  It will ensure survival of the species and probably no injuries from hunting accidents at all.  This idea is soooooooo good, I should nominate myself for DEC commissioner.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm a pretty staunch anti-crossbow guy, and I've never heard that argument once. 

It would be interesting to know what portion of the archery deer were taken during the open xbow season. I know mine was. Those 2 weeks are some of the best weeks in the woods. Also some hunters may lower their standards knowing that time is running short.

Not trying to make any argument, just curious how those numbers and success rates factor into the rut activity. I can't remember the stat but I want to say it's something high like 80% or up of all gun kills are opening weekend. 

That's the main argument I hear when talking to "anti crossbow" archery hunters.  Read it numerous times in more than one forum including this one. 

What other reason would the anti crossbow guys be scared of? Now im only using "scared" because thats the title of this thread. Concerned fits better.

Edited by mowin

17 minutes ago, grampy said:

I'm a huge advocate for full inclusion of crossbow.

But killed my deer with a compound bow, during the two week crossbow season. The deer is no less dead, no matter what tool I used to get the job done. 

grampy, that's sort of a ball of wax right there. Arguments could be made that it may have been wounded with a bow and not a crossbow. That a novice crossbow hunter could have over-estimated the abilities and wounded. I'm not sure those kinds of statements can ever be made. We have no idea how a deer may have reacted to a clunk made by hitting your crossbow limb or drawing a compound if we are comparing the 2 weapons.