Scared?

G-Man

3 minutes ago, mowin said:

That's the main argument I hear when talking to "anti crossbow" archery hunters.  Read it numerous times in more than one forum including this one. 

What other reason would the anti crossbow guys be scared of?

I've been on this site for a long time. I've been in just about every crossbow argument thread and I've never once heard that we fear the season will be shortened because crossbow hunters will kill too many deer.

the reasons why we are against it? Well, I don't have the energy this morning to rehash them all. But trust that they've been covered eleventy billion times. 

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

I've been on this site for a long time. I've been in just about every crossbow argument thread and I've never once heard that we fear the season will be shortened because crossbow hunters will kill too many deer.

the reasons why we are against it? Well, I don't have the energy this morning to rehash them all. But trust that they've been covered eleventy billion times. 

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one... 

10 minutes ago, Dom said:

I do believe that road kill should still be on this chart,where as the state issues tag's to all police departments.

i'm sure you can find road kill statistics somewhere. This is a hunting harvest chart. To provide numbers of legal hunters with tags, I see why you might want to see the numbers and compare, but this isn't the place for it. Easy enough to make the graphic though if you can find the data. 

On 4/3/2018 at 3:53 PM, mowin said:

Because some think the xbow season, especially full inclusion will eventually shorten the overall bow season do to a increase in harvest. 

Hence, their "scared"

That is a new one for me also.  What the anti-crossbow minority of bow-hunters really fear, and a few (like Belo) have openly admitted, is that more people will be able to compete for the same deer and/or the same hunting spots.  Never before did they have to worry about those who lacked the time, dedication, or strength to master a vertical bow.   The thought of all the additional elderly, handicapped, women and children has them shaking in their boots now.    That is just some short-sighted thinking.  Anything that can help get more people into hunting will help stem the tide of the dwindling hunter numbers.  In the long run, keeping and recruiting more folks to the sport is in the best interest of all of us.  

Before any anti-crossbow bowhunter can claim not to be in the minority, I will again reference the poll several years ago, in the bow-hunting section of this very forum, that was showing support for full-inclusion by more than a two to one margin at the time it "mysteriously" went away.  We will probably never know why that poll disappeared. Was there someone who's "agenda" it did not fit ?   Since then, it sounds like even more have switched sides and now support full inclusion.   Could that be because everyone grows old ?          

Some one better than me should male a pole to see how many bowhunters also own a Crossbow. ,

And then one who supports full inclusion.  

Personally everyone I know that owns a crossbow also owns a bow. I can't think of any one I know that just owns a crossbow.  So I assume that much of the increase in crossbow and corresponding decrease in bow harvest is the guys shifting to crossbow for the two weeks. 

Edited by G-Man

im probably the only guy in NY that likes everything the way it is.  I love the long bow season, like the 2 weeks of crossbow during the rut, then a liberal gun season and a late muzzle just in case I had a tough year.  (I hunt all southern these days) .   I hope they just leave it alone. If they do crossbow for the whole bow season there is no way i dont use it, but i also like using my bow.  But i would think the deer take increasing during crossbow would have to be an increase in hunters cause if a bowhunter wants to take a doe they would anyway regardless of what they are using - therefore the numbers wouldnt have such a jump.  Crossbow must be bringing in additional hunters or additional hunting hours.  I know of a couple of older guys that cant really operate the bow as well anymore and have gotten crossbows and just hunt those two weeks before gun.  And both of them took deer with it last fall.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Took a walk 2 days ago and saw over 30 without leaving the property.  

I've seen 30 plus inthe field just south of me. But that neighbor insisted there were no deer and he had to hunt elsewhere.. lol. 

Every year is different as food sources and cover can change.. the field next to him was all brush and was a good bedding area for years.. the land was leased and it was cleared and put into winter wheat..the deer move and patterns changed is all. 

I love hearing I've hunted the same stand for 30 years!! The deer just aren't There! I then ask well what have you done to your woods)..the woods have matured and the brush draw you hunted is now mature forest.. ..

• Like 3

8 hours ago, maddie said:

x2 a member from deer search said it best # of calls for verticle bows 2-3 a week # of calls for xbow 30-40 per week

As a member of Deer Search and United Bloodtrackers, I can honestly say that those numbers seem way off base. Over many years, consistently, we've seen that bowhunters with vertical bows, make up the majority of sorties in a given season.

Just sayin.....not to argue. But based on my own experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

I love hearing I've hunted the same stand for 30 years!! The deer just aren't There! I then ask well what have you done to your woods)..the woods have matured and the brush draw you hunted is now mature forest.. ..

My Dad has hunts the same stand he has used for 30 years. He is 400 feet from my south property line. We used to hunt that property too. However, a few years back, the owner gave a family from Cobleskill permission to hunt it. We used to put 1 or 2 guys in there. Now, there are 7 people hunting 50 acres of forest and cover on opening weekend of the regular season. Deer traffic patterns have dramatically changed. A great stand that resulted in many deer killed is now dead on opening day. The deer are around but all traffic from the south is cut off by a high density of hunters, and lots shooting, often multiple shots. We don't go in there until after they clear out after the opener.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wolc123 said:

That is a new one for me also.  What the anti-crossbow minority of bow-hunters really fear, and a few (like Belo) have openly admitted, is that more people will be able to compete for the same deer and/or the same hunting spots.  Never before did they have to worry about those who lacked the time, dedication, or strength to master a vertical bow.   The thought of all the additional elderly, handicapped, women and children has them shaking in their boots now.     

you were fine before that last part. I have been open and honest that I have dispute with elderly and handicapped. Woman and children can shoot a bow like the rest of us. But yes, archery is a peaceful season generally without as many clowns. Xbow brings the gun only hunter into the archery woods. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

Some one better than me should male a pole to see how many bowhunters also own a Crossbow. ,

And then one who supports full inclusion.  

Personally everyone I know that owns a crossbow also owns a bow. I can't think of any one I know that just owns a crossbow.  So I assume that much of the increase in crossbow and corresponding decrease in bow harvest is the guys shifting to crossbow for the two weeks. 

there are a few on this site. 

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

im probably the only guy in NY that likes everything the way it is.  I love the long bow season, like the 2 weeks of crossbow during the rut, then a liberal gun season and a late muzzle just in case I had a tough year.  (I hunt all southern these days) .   I hope they just leave it alone. If they do crossbow for the whole bow season there is no way i dont use it, but i also like using my bow.  But i would think the deer take increasing during crossbow would have to be an increase in hunters cause if a bowhunter wants to take a doe they would anyway regardless of what they are using - therefore the numbers wouldnt have such a jump.  Crossbow must be bringing in additional hunters or additional hunting hours.  I know of a couple of older guys that cant really operate the bow as well anymore and have gotten crossbows and just hunt those two weeks before gun.  And both of them took deer with it last fall.  

i'm fine with the way it is too. In no hurry to eliminate the 2 week crossbow season. Not a super fan of the long gun season. But I can generally get behind the system we have. 

Edited by Belo

23 hours ago, chas0218 said:

He is trolling those against crossbow legislation.

I'm not scared and surely not surprised. I don't think anyone is surprised by the number and it will continue to go up when you can hunt with a implement that is basically a gun during bow season. poking-with-stick-smiley-emoticon.gif

Well Belo is telling us there last tow weeks of bow are where it is at for killing the most deer because of rut activity. ( I agree).. That is where this evil cross bow that is basically a gun was forced in, right? But the number for total take in bow season didn't go UP. Actually with bow and that evil crossbow sitting in the prime killing time, the total take in that period went down from 2016. I haven't looked it up but I'd bet it's down from 2015 as well.