Scared?

G-Man

I never bow hunted, but did choose a crossbow.  Why?  Well, two reasons.  First, by all accounts it only seems a matter of time before full inclusion arrives.  Second, I have a ton of experience with shoulder fired weapons.  For me, the xbow is a much more natural weapon choice.  I worked through the steep learning curve of archery hunting this past season, but fully expect that experience to result in some dead deer this season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Just Lucky said:

I can not speak for long bows and recurves, but it really doesn't take more than a weekend to learn and shoot a compound effectively with all that technology has to offer.

Archery hunting for deer is much more than mastering a bow..........

• Like 5

4 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I bought a crossbow to use for the two week period just to stay on an even keel with the other deer hunters . Why use one of my compounds when I can take the easy way . 

There you go, fasteddie nailed it.......... 

In a nutshell that's what many are looking for;  the "easy way out".  The crossbow keeps them hunting with little practice and dedication but gives them a deadly weapon that kills as good as any other weapon inside of (so nobody bitches) 30 yards. 

Being in the woods those 10 days gives them the opportunity to have as good of an opportunity at a buck as the guys toting their vertical bow.  Like an "even keel"........... :)

I understand the bum shoulder/ failing health angle and could be at that point some time myself sooner rather than later and I'd probably pick one up too. 

For now I'll stick with my gear and a looooooong season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

In a nutshell that's what many are looking for;  the "easy way out".  The crossbow keeps them hunting with little practice and dedication but gives them a deadly weapon that kills as good as any other weapon inside of (so nobody bitches) 30 yards. 

Being in the woods those 10 days gives them the opportunity to have as good of an opportunity at a buck as the guys toting their vertical bow.  Like an "even keel"........... :)

I understand the bum shoulder/ failing health angle and could be at that point some time myself sooner rather than later and I'd probably pick one up too. 

So if it's about the "easy way out", what's the split on compound bow hunters vs longbow hunters?   

• Like 1

i like hunting withe the bow, i like hunting with the crossbow, i like hunting with the gun.  I like hunting.  

make the laws whichever way i will be out there.  I like them the way they are!  get to do a little of everything.  But I will say i will take the most effective weapon prob every time that is avail.  So during crossbow I take the crossbow and not the bow. But whatever is open i would be hunting regardless.  In all honesty if they opened gun up in bow season i would be using it and I just love bow hunting!!!!!!

I have to say would like to see inclusion with crossbow for anyone that buys a senior license and anyone that is considered a youth and drop the big game/archery age.  That way younger folks can archery hunt that cant pull bow back yet.  Then there is no need for a special youth gun weekend and they can hunt and learn the whole bow season.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I'm 67 and don't see the argument for allowing "seniors" and handicap only full inclusion. Either it is archery equipment or not.  If it is, then it should be allowed for all. If not, it should not be allowed in archery. If "non archery" equipment is to be allowed, why is it crossbow only and not guns? After all - they are old and/or handicapped.:rolleyes:

Also love the  "I'm against full inclusion because I want to keep using my bow but would most likely go the easier route if allowed."  Shake my head that grown hunters need someone telling them to keep using their preferred choice.:rofl:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, SteveB said:

........why is it crossbow only and not guns? After all - they are old and/or handicapped.......

That's an interesting question. We're worrying about the elderly being deprived of the bow season because of their unfortunate infirm condition. Why do we insist on putting any restrictions on their ability to have their choices as to what to use and when to use it. Just some more exclusionary thinking......right?

11 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Archery hunting for deer is much more than mastering a bow..........

Right, and you need to master the same skills to be consistently successful with a crossbow. Shooting the actual weapon is actually a pretty small percentage of the skill set required.

For me, learning to be a good archery hunter has made me a better hunter in all seasons, as I try to apply the same type of tactics during gun season as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

My point to Chas (and he's blind with his hate of cossbows)  was that there were a lot of guys that picked them up. some where bow hunters (like me for the first time this year) some were gun hunters.  And it had NO impact on the total harvest numbers during bow. So the "sky is falling" crew are safe for another year

I disagree bow numbers were down but crossbow went up.. now are they being taken by former bow hunters who switched to crossbow for those 2 weeks? Or by new hunters to the sport in general, or by gun crossovers.. 

This to me is of utmost importance as gun target spots are not crossbow / bow spots and death by hemoraging is different the death by shock.. I find it very disconcerting that the bow course is not required.. if in fact the amount of crossbow hunters have no experience with bow.and bow techniques.

11 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I know more bow hunters that pick up their bow shoot a dozen arrows and go hunting.. once your pins ,peep and kisser buttons are set ..they are no different. And how many actually practice during season.???? It starts the 1st of Oct and they shoot their deer the 12th of nov!! A month and a half of no practice!!! Most bow hunters are Hippocrates when it come to they don't need to practice they do the same thing every fall!!!

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, SteveB said:

I'm 67 and don't see the argument for allowing "seniors" and handicap only full inclusion. Either it is archery equipment or not.  If it is, then it should be allowed for all. If not, it should not be allowed in archery. If "non archery" equipment is to be allowed, why is it crossbow only and not guns? After all - they are old and/or handicapped.:rolleyes:

Also love the  "I'm against full inclusion because I want to keep using my bow but would most likely go the easier route if allowed."  Shake my head that grown hunters need someone telling them to keep using their preferred choice.:rofl:

I think i fall under that and see your point.  But i also just like the different seasons.  I would never want to see an any implement season from Oct 1- Dec 6.   And I would be honest and I would take a gun because if the 30 point buck is at 50 yards I want to have the gun cause I would kick my ass all the way home if i had a bow in my hand when i had the choice. Although i have 2 places i hunt that are bow only so i would still use it for sure.  If I am allowed to take a gun to a knife fight I probably will.  Esp when all the neighbors have as well. I dont need someone to tell me what to use but I also dont want them telling the neighbors they can use whatever they want and then limiting myself to the bow. My spots are surrounded by other hunters esp in the gun season.  During bow there isnt hardly anyone next to me hunting.  its not so much about the implement I use than it is about the solitude of bow season.    

And i have a couple of older buddies that gave up on bow hunting cause of some wore out shoulders and used the crossbow this year and both took bucks. Age and years of paying for your license should give some benefits and just like you said - doesnt mean you cant use the bow.  

But i voted no just cause I really like the setup the way it is now.  And dont want to see full inclusion of crossbow turn into muzzleloader etc. Cause I can see it turning into a primitive weapons season real easy. But if it goes from a sharp stick to a bazooka I will prob hunt with whatever the season allows.  Just will need a muzzle break for the bazooka.   

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I disagree bow numbers were down but crossbow went up.. now are they being taken by former bow hunters who switched to crossbow for those 2 weeks? Or by new hunters to the sport in general, or by gun crossovers.. 

This to me is of utmost importance as gun target spots are not crossbow / bow spots and death by hemoraging is different the death by shock.. I find it very disconcerting that the bow course is not required.. if in fact the amount of crossbow hunters have no experience with bow.and bow techniques.

I agree it should have to be a bow hunter education course. But if someone believes that the crossbow is such an easy weapon and a chip shot to hunt with I would have expected to see the harvest numbers really jump if it were an influx of gun hunters providing this take increase. Since the TOTAL bow and crossbow harvest stayed basically level the last two years, it makes me believe that the increase in crossbow take and corresponding decrease in vertical bow take is linked by vertical bow hunters picking up the crossbow. (generally speaking)

• Like 3

plus would think the overall deer take is just higher during crossbow cause its the best time of the year regardless of implement.  And yeah most every guy i hunt with switches to crossbow when it opens.  Mostly cause its something else to hunt with and they are kinda fun to hunt with and different. 

• Like 2

i know more vertical bow hunters that pick up a crossbow the last two weeks than gun only hunters getting into crossbow.  if you're a gun only hunter there's a big learning curve to setup differently to get in closer than you're used to. that's probably the biggest hurdle i've seen with gun hunters i know switching to them.

i noticed the same setup issue when going from compound that i'm good with to a limited skills with a traditional bow.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

plus would think the overall deer take is just higher during crossbow cause its the best time of the year regardless of implement.  And yeah most every guy i hunt with switches to crossbow when it opens.  Mostly cause its something else to hunt with and they are kinda fun to hunt with and different. 

I agree but there are still many more bow hunters in the woods that same two weeks just like the years before. If it were gun hunters going into the crossbow in big numbers and accounting for the the crossbow take I would think the regular bow take numbers would have remained relatively the same and the cross bow take would have gone up. I know that is a simplistic view and there is a 100 reasons when "statistically" that may not be the case, but it sure makes sense to me. 

8 hours ago, G-Man said:

I know more bow hunters that pick up their bow shoot a dozen arrows and go hunting.. once your pins ,peep and kisser buttons are set ..they are no different. And how many actually practice during season.???? It starts the 1st of Oct and they shoot their deer the 12th of nov!! A month and a half of no practice!!! Most bow hunters are Hippocrates when it come to they don't need to practice they do the same thing every fall!!!

I love anecdotal arguments. It's as though there is anyone of us that expand their tiny realm of known bowhunters to include everyone, everywhere. Not a lot of credibility in those kinds of statements. It probably says more about the kind of people that you hang around, than anything about the general bowhunter population. But I will say that if we spend all our time and energy hacking on each other, the likely result is that people will quickly assume that neither weapon is a humane hunting weapon. Is that the impression you are trying to push?

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I love anecdotal arguments. It's as though there is anyone of us that expand their tiny realm of known bowhunters to include everyone, everywhere. Not a lot of credibility in those kinds of statements. It probably says more about the kind of people that you hang around, than anything about the general bowhunter population. But I will say that if we spend all our time and energy hacking on each other, the likely result is that people will quickly assume that neither weapon is a humane hunting weapon. Is that the impression you are trying to push?

I know many hunters in Ohio where it is either or all season and the majority own both bow and a crossbow.. quick hunts they grab the crossbow..all day sits they take their bow.. I would bet money over 75% of crossbow hunters also own and use a bow. The only thing I am pushing is the fear of more hunters is moot as most are bow hunters who would be out there anyway...

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

And xbow hunters will shoot even less after their scopes are dialed in!! 

The fact that for most xbow shooters practicing with those screaming bolts isn't that much fun because the drawing process involved is a PIA.  I've seen them drawn and monkeying around with that rope looks like a blast..... :(

BUT, from the tree stand (or should I say blind as that's probably where most users will use them?) it's no big deal I guess.     

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

The fact that for most xbow shooters practicing with those screaming bolts isn't that much fun because the drawing process involved is a PIA.  I've seen them drawn and monkeying around with that rope looks like a blast..... :(

BUT, from the tree stand (or should I say blind as that's probably where most users will use them?) it's no big deal I guess.     

Yep they aren't as easy as made out to be..and actually many crossbow users practice all season because they can't unlock so they carry a block to shoot into.. where the compound user who practices all year one season comes just takes off his arrow and walk into camp or get in his truck...and next time off is hunting  not practicing.. so they may go several.weeks not releasing an arrow... 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Not really...I unload mine at a target every time i get done hunting with mine. Not good to keep them limbs stressed.  And to try and re-cock up in climber is a whole different kind of PIA.

Edited by Four Season Whitetail's

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

monkeying around with that rope looks like a blast..... :(

In all the excitement after killing that 43" chest-girth buck last year with my crossbow, I lost that silly rope pulley thing.   I made up a couple of t-handles with short lengths of chain and metal clips and they work a lot faster for reloading.  My cheap, entry-level crossbow is only 150 pound draw though, so the direct pull is not that bad.  It was tough on the fingers, until I made those t-handles.  

Edited by wolc123

23 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

In all the excitement after killing that 43" chest-girth buck last year with my crossbow, I lost that silly rope pulley thing.   I made up a couple of t-handles with short lengths of chain and metal clips and they work a lot faster for reloading.  My cheap, entry-level crossbow is only 150 pound draw though, so the direct pull is not that bad.  It was tough on the fingers, until I made those t-handles.  

Those 150 pound bucks does that to some people.