gramp's Reloading Journal

grampy

On 4/13/2018 at 7:48 PM, rachunter said:

I'm not sure how true it is but I've read that flowrecent lights and cell phone can throw off a digital scale.

i like these little caliber specific manuals https://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/reloading/reloading-manuals-videos/pc/104792580/c/104761080/sc/549335880/loadbooks-usa-caliber-gauge-specific-reloading-manuals/704597.uts?slotId=4

A good set of check weights is an almost indispensable part of any kit. Tiny pieces of brass don't lie about their weight. They're relatively cheap, very reliable, and when something's wrong while weighing charges they let you know.

And you shouldn't have a cellphone anywhere near you when reloading. It's an unnecessary distraction. I'm "old school" on this. Reloading is a rewarding hobby, but it demands some discipline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Finally got my first round done today! It's been a long road getting here. Took months of reading, and getting everything I needed together.20181230_162523.thumb.jpg.f74a1c7558e315dd62b5d918c767f1df.jpg20181230_162409.thumb.jpg.45c90ae2fdcf25c2317e3d31708ea270.jpg270 140g. Silvertips (sent to me by Dinsdale. Thanks again Dan.)

CCI #200 primer

52.0 gr. H4831

Case length 2.540

Over all length 3.252 to match up with the Federal Premium Nosler BT'

Really took my time setting the bullet seating die. That was one of the things I was worried about getting right. Good to go now, and I'm familiar with how to adjust it.

All the case prep work is fun, and I have my own steps down for that.

Took notes on everything and followed my manuals all the way through. The first steps of any journey are usually the hardest to take. I took my fist steps on my handloading journey today. It will be easier now. And a long learning curve. But I'm up for it! Hope this journey Ieads me to a deer killed with a round I made up myself.

Next step will be at the range to test various powder charges. Will keep detailed notes.

Would really like to thank everyone who gave tips and advice up to this point. No doubt I'll have many more questions as I get deeper into handloading. But I finally got started!20181230_162500.thumb.jpg.4f534208cd2fa67f05425e7a69cb7665.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, grampy said:

Finally got my first round done today! It's been a long road getting here. Took months of reading, and getting everything I needed together.20181230_162523.thumb.jpg.f74a1c7558e315dd62b5d918c767f1df.jpg20181230_162409.thumb.jpg.45c90ae2fdcf25c2317e3d31708ea270.jpg270 140g. Silvertips (sent to me by Dinsdale. Thanks again Dan.)

CCI #200 primer

52.0 gr. H4831

Case length 2.540

Over all length 3.252 to match up with the Federal Premium Nosler BT'

Really took my time setting the bullet seating die. That was one of the things I was worried about getting right. Good to go now, and I'm familiar with how to adjust it.

All the case prep work is fun, and I have my own steps down for that.

Took notes on everything and followed my manuals all the way through. The first steps of any journey are usually the hardest to take. I took my fist steps on my handloading journey today. It will be easier now. And a long learning curve. But I'm up for it! Hope this journey Ieads me to a deer killed with a round I made up myself.

Next step will be at the range to test various powder charges. Will keep detailed notes.

Would really like to thank everyone who gave tips and advice up to this point. No doubt I'll have many more questions as I get deeper into handloading. But I finally got started!20181230_162500.thumb.jpg.4f534208cd2fa67f05425e7a69cb7665.jpg

Nice looking bench, and yes it is addicting and fun. 

• Thanks 1

Nice setup Grampy!!  Started Reloading the .270 about 1963 with my uncle and dad. It was fun working up loads and finding the right one. Those days are gone now but the memories linger. I still reload for the model 70's and enjoy as much today. Have fun reloading but most of all be safe. Again a great setup you have Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Last night I spent some time at the bench to get our hunting ammo done.

270, Nosler BT 140g and some 140g Silvertips. We are good to go. This recipe shot very well on the range tests.

This year, for the very first time, a buck will fall from a bullet I made up. Been waiting for this for quite awhile! All the time, and effort, put into this reloading stuff has been worth it. I really enjoy the tedious aspect, and being precise. 20191014_232606.thumb.jpg.a0bc1665a115893eb2d4f35b3ba962ed.jpg20191014_232626.thumb.jpg.8e7f4e6e6c20274a80d46256a4ca3672.jpg20191014_203324.thumb.jpg.ebb93526ea05887aabea89cc620b374f.jpg

• Like 9

I understand your just starting . And they are just picture of your setup.  Something I was taught  and have read multiple times and should be followed. No powders ... primers  or components  other than what your loading at the moment  on or near the bench. 

One lesson I learned the hard way is never put multiple loads  in the same box.  

I was working up a load for my revolver. I had 3 different charges  one grain of powder difference  in each . All below max .  

While at the range a friend of mine accidentally  knocked my bullet box over. Mixed up around 50 cartridges. Had to shoot or pull  bullets . I shot them  took them home and started over.

Not dangerous  but a pain in the butt.

• Like 1

I still weigh every charge on my  old Herter's beam balance powder scale...

I find reloading very relaxing and therapeutic...  My M70 .280, which I bought in 1988, has never had a factory round shot through it...  My 7mm08  Mountain Rifle had one box of factory loads during barrel break in...I have never fired a factory load at game with either rifle..

Not that there is anything wrong with factory loads...I could probably find factory loads for all of my rifles that are as accurate, effective and reliable as my handloads...I just get a good deal of satisfaction from  killing game with loads that I worked up and loaded myself...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I still weigh every charge on my  old Herter's beam balance powder scale...

I find reloading very relaxing and therapeutic...  My M70 .280, which I bought in 1988, has never had a factory round shot through it...  My 7mm08  Mountain Rifle had one box of factory loads during barrel break in...I have never fired a factory load at game with either rifle..

Not that there is anything wrong with factory loads...I could probably find factory loads for all of my rifles that are as accurate, effective and reliable as my handloads...I just get a good deal of satisfaction from  killing game with loads that I worked up and loaded myself...

I get a great deal of satisfaction just researching, working up and testing the results of my work. I know for certain, the first one that drops, dead right there, from one of my handloads is going to be a huge high!

From the start, you have been, among some others, a helpful source of information for me Dan. Thanks so much. You and the guys should feel a little bit of the high too. Because you all helped make it happen!

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

I understand your just starting . And they are just picture of your setup.  Something I was taught  and have read multiple times and should be followed. No powders ... primers  or components  other than what your loading at the moment  on or near the bench. 

One lesson I learned the hard way is never put multiple loads  in the same box.  

I was working up a load for my revolver. I had 3 different charges  one grain of powder difference  in each . All below max .  

While at the range a friend of mine accidentally  knocked my bullet box over. Mixed up around 50 cartridges. Had to shoot or pull  bullets . I shot them  took them home and started over.

Not dangerous  but a pain in the butt.

Safety is always formost on my mind. Only one step at a time. And priming is done at a small table behind me. 

All the loads in that box, two separate rounds are all the same, and easily identifiable. Test rounds are always kept in separate containers. Thanks for the advice. I still have a lot to learn!

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I don’t reload, but want to and am just at the point where I’m reading and watching YouTube vids to get a better idea of just how it’s done.
I like your setup and good luck with the home brew deer medicine!

That is exactly how I started Jerry. Then started piecing together the bench and what I needed, over time. I read a LOT too. And of course got great help from the guys here! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

@grampy I can't tell from the pictures but are you using the Breech lock quick change bushings? They are a HUGE help when you are switching dies but a tad pricey. 

https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-quick-change-bushings.html

Bob, they are the Hornady quick change bushings. So easy to change back and forth. I even mark the sides to line up the same way each time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grampy said:

Bob, they are the Hornady quick change bushings. So easy to change back and forth. I even mark the sides to line up the same way each time.

Grampy, I just got into reloading myself, and it's great to work up my own loads. Have the Hornady starter kit to work with, and it is just fine and dandy. Getting good advice from friends on the in's and outs and have had good results downrange.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, grampy said:

Last night I spent some time at the bench to get our hunting ammo done.

270, Nosler BT 140g and some 140g Silvertips. We are good to go. This recipe shot very well on the range tests.

This year, for the very first time, a buck will fall from a bullet I made up. Been waiting for this for quite awhile! All the time, and effort, put into this reloading stuff has been worth it. I really enjoy the tedious aspect, and being precise. 20191014_232606.thumb.jpg.a0bc1665a115893eb2d4f35b3ba962ed.jpg20191014_232626.thumb.jpg.8e7f4e6e6c20274a80d46256a4ca3672.jpg20191014_203324.thumb.jpg.ebb93526ea05887aabea89cc620b374f.jpg

Dave

Why two different bullets?  Just curious.

14 minutes ago, Merlot said:

Grampy, I just got into reloading myself, and it's great to work up my own loads. Have the Hornady starter kit to work with, and it is just fine and dandy. Getting good advice from friends on the in's and outs and have had good results downrange.

As you can see, I started with a basic Hornaday kit, that I bought from a forum member. Then built around it. It seems to fit my needs, and I can interchange with Lee and other dies just fine. 

I could have bought cases of factory ammo for what I have invested in handloading. But the enjoyment I have gotten so far researching, working, testing, and hopefully killing a deer with a round of my own making, is worth every penny invested! And the little bit of added accuracy isn't bad either!

• Like 3

On 10/16/2019 at 12:34 PM, grampy said:

As you can see, I started with a basic Hornaday kit, that I bought from a forum member. Then built around it. It seems to fit my needs, and I can interchange with Lee and other dies just fine. 

I could have bought cases of factory ammo for what I have invested in handloading. But the enjoyment I have gotten so far researching, working, testing, and hopefully killing a deer with a round of my own making, is worth every penny invested! And the little bit of added accuracy isn't bad either!

There are way worse things we could be spending our money on..

• Like 3