Looking for a compact point/shoot digital camera

Pygmy

My Canon digital camera **** the bed after ten years..Paid $150 for it 10 years ago so I guess it doesn't owe me a whole lot..

I am looking a  lower priced , compact point and shoot digital cameras to replace it...

I am not a photo buff and don't need a lot of fancy features..I just want a small, easy to use  camera that takes decent snapshots..

I see that there are a number of them in the $100 range that get decent reviews..Anybody have experience with the Sony DSC-W800 ?

I'd appreciate any input from y'all....

Just about all your point and shoots in the $100 range are gonna give you exactly the performance your after. Don't worry too much about the MP ratings on those tiny sensor cameras as it wont make much of a difference in what you're planning on using it for. Find one you like, wherever you want to buy it from and just buy it. Todays $100 P+S's are all pretty much the equivalent of yester-years disposable 35mm cameras except your forced to pay extra for many of the useless features they put in these things now.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Dan, why not just use your phone?  Most phones have pretty good cameras now, you always have it with you and the pics are stored on it.  Quality should be as good as any point and shoot.

Doesn't he have a flip phone? I thought he mentioned it in a post a while ago.

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Dan, why not just use your phone?  Most phones have pretty good cameras now, you always have it with you and the pics are stored on it.  Quality should be as good as any point and shoot.

Does my flip phone do that  ??  I don't have one of those new fangled fancy ass things that kids always have stuck in their faces..

Moot point now anyhow..I am accepting bugsnbows generous offer......

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Does my flip phone do that  ??  I don't have one of those new fangled fancy ass things that kids always have stuck in their faces..

Moot point now anyhow..I am accepting bugsnbows generous offer......

Perfect for me hero shot with a turkey.  Lol

• Like 2

That’s very nice of bugsnbows !

I use my iPhone , but point and shoot cameras are better for zooming, low light and storage and battery life of your phone, if you take a lot of pics and videos a P/S will save your phone battery.

My daughter when she hikes out West or eco trips in  places like Coasta RICO  , has a big slr for short hikes and trips,  or when the destination is really picturesque, a p/s for long hikes, phone is saved for phone use .

phone cameras are kinda like a Tasco scope  .

10 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

That’s very nice of bugsnbows !

I use my iPhone , but point and shoot cameras are better for zooming, low light and storage and battery life of your phone, if you take a lot of pics and videos a P/S will save your phone battery.

My daughter when she hikes out West or eco trips in  places like Coasta RICO  , has a big slr for short hikes and trips,  or when the destination is really picturesque, a p/s for long hikes, phone is saved for phone use .

phone cameras are kinda like a Tasco scope  .

And what’s wrong with Tasco Mr Highfalutin?  First time ever typing that word.  Lol

I've got a point and shoot probably a couple kicking around some where. i also have a really fancy dslr nikon that gets used mostly during the holidays and that's it. the entire rest of the year i'm using my S7 smart phone set to HDR. Go figure.

I'm in the same boat as you Dan.  My Cannon came up missing, and I use a slider phone.  I can't justify a "smart phone".  I almost choked on my Miller High Life when my girlfriend told me what she paid for her last phone!  

I mostly use my digital camera to view SD cards in the field, to take pics of stuff for sale, or for hero pics.

Good luck getting a hero pic this spring Moog!  If you wanted to drive a long ways, I could put you on some birds in Central VT.  I'm no Bill Schmitt, but I tag two birds every spring.

• Like 1