School me on portable generators

Five Seasons

What size and brand do you recommend for a house to cover fridge, 13 cubic foot stand up freezer, furnace and led lighting? house is 2.3k and can be run at low temps but enough not to freeze the kids. Furnace isn't mandatory because I can burn wood if it would make a substantial price difference, but would be nice.

Also, what is a fair price for an electrician to install a back feed? 

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

What size and brand do you recommend for a house to cover fridge, 13 cubic foot stand up freezer, furnace and led lighting? house is 2.3k and can be run at low temps but enough not to freeze the kids. Furnace isn't mandatory because I can burn wood if it would make a substantial price difference, but would be nice.

Does anything you want to run have a circuit boards or fancy electronics?

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwj42eaI6qPaAhXETA0KHeosCFIYABAIGgJxYg&sig=AOD64_2Ga1-bZnol21HUd4tbRZKAtFV8qg&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjukuGI6qPaAhWQTd8KHZ6VCFcQ9aACCEU&adurl

generlink  for the record I don't have one I have been liking into putting it in instead of transfer switch - cheaper.  some vids on youtube about them

Edited by f3cbboy

The one I use would be just about right for you.  It is 5000 running watts and 6250 peak.  You can pick one of those up for around $ 500.  It easily runs two full sized fridges, a big freezer, a sump pump, a big screen TV, and a couple lights.   I came home from work an hour early on Wednesday and ran it for the 5th hour of a 6 hour blackout,  that was caused by the high winds.   The power company expected that outage to last up to 12 hours, but they are almost always overly conservative with their repair estimates.    

For hookup, I usually just run extension cords to everything and that works out pretty well.   The first one always goes to the sump pump, and the second one to the big freezer (it still contains about 2/3 of our year's supply of venison at this point).   When the wife and kids pester me enough, I give them a TV and a light or two.  Our woodstove easily heats the house, so I never bother putting power to the gas furnace. 

Our's has a couple wheels and a handle, which make it easy to roll around for yard work and stuff.  I use it throughout the year to power corded weed-trimmers at the far edges of our yard, and for various projects around the farm and woods.  That usage,  an oil change once a year, and stabilized ethanol-free gas, keeps it ready to go at any time.   It has given me zero problems over (10) years of ownership, and has the Brigs and Stratton engine.   It will run about 8 hours on 3 gallons of gas.  Over that (10) years, I only used it about (4) times for actual power outages and none lasted longer than 8 hours.             

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

The problems with the whole-house NG units is that they cost more and are not as handy for other projects.  (4) outages in (10) years does not seem to justify the additional expense and reduced versatility for me at least.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I have a commercial Kohler, bit more expensive than a Generac, but very happy with it. See http://www.kohlergenerators.com/home/home-generators/selector#your-home for sizing. Is your regular heat electric or gas fuel? It looks like they now make residential versions that look more like a Generac than their commercial models. I have no idea on how the residential Kohler model would compare, but I would still take a look at it. .

On 4/5/2018 at 7:23 PM, wolc123 said:

The problems with the whole-house NG units is that they cost more and are not as handy for other projects.  (4) outages in (10) years does not seem to justify the additional expense and reduced versatility for me at least.

It’s a piece of mind thing . When I work nights I leave at 3:30 PM and return around 9:00 AM, power goes out it kicks on and runs whole house. 

There is no way my wife would lug out some gas powered generator and pull start it and keep it fueled .

As far as projects why would I need a generator around my home to do them ?

then again I pay guys to,do my projects anyway .

There seems to be a bit of confusion in the title. A portable generator is either one with a handle, that can easily be carried, or one that can easily be moved around from one job site to another to run tools and a compressor. That's not what you're talking about.

• Like 1

It mostly comes down to how much you're willing to spend to have the convenience of having power during those times of isolated outages!!!

On the other hand, if you should find yourself in a power outage with no back-up plan, you'll pay anything to stay warm and keep appliances running!!!

Although a royal PITA, I've gotten by during the 2X outages in past ~15yrs using a smaller portable generator and manually alternating what the gen's extension cord supplied the power to. Be surprised how little you need to run a refrig or freezer to keep their contents safe. If you don't live in a monstrously large home and it's fairly well insulated, running the furnace ~4X/day keeps temps moderately comfortable. I do consider a power outage an emergency situation, so having all the daily comforts of home available does seem unnecessary to me compared to the $$ of having them! But.. if there were a stay-at-home spouse/partner, small children, a work situation absolutely required my presence or past lengthy outages, I might be able to justify a stationary back-up generator.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

5000 watt will work ,don't need a back feed if you have service disconnect already after meter. Pull disconnect and start generator. Just hook up a 220 plug and feed into that. Will run a whole house. If you have a tractor you can buy a gen for the pto and run off that ..runs longer (especially if its a desiel and can store gen inside so brushes don't rust.

Another option is power inverter to run off your cars motor.. Pull disconnect and run cord to where. You need it

Edited by G-Man

6 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

It’s a piece of mind thing . When I work nights I leave at 3:30 PM and return around 9:00 AM, power goes out it kicks on and runs whole house. 

There is no way my wife would lug out some gas powered generator and pull start it and keep it fueled .

As far as projects why would I need a generator around my home to do them ?

then again I pay guys to,do my projects anyway .

That does make sense, especially as one gets older and less able to do stuff.  My folks have a NG well over at their place and all that they use is free.  It would probably make sense for them to get a top of the line stationary generator and use that most of the time, only using line power (which they pay for) when it is down for maintenance.    That, and a compressed NG vehicle and tractor could virtually eliminate all of their energy costs.   

My biggest "project" usage of a portable generator, besides weed-wacking the outer edges of the lawn (I hate those gasoline powered weed wackers), is working on tree stands and blinds for deer hunting.   It is nice to have an electric drill, saw, air compressor and welder available for those projects, all of which do just fine on a 5000 watt generator.   I have an intense dislike for portable battery powered tools and extra gasoline engines to maintain, so the more plug-in tools I can use the better.  I have grown somewhat dependent on that portable generator and would probably still want one if and when I ever get a stationary unit for the house.   

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

That does make sense, especially as one gets older and less able to do stuff.  My folks have a NG well over at their place and all that they use is free.  It would probably make sense for them to get a top of the line stationary generator and use that most of the time, only using line power (which they pay for) when it is down for maintenance.    That, and a compressed NG vehicle and tractor could virtually eliminate all of their energy costs.   

My biggest "project" usage of a portable generator, besides weed-wacking the outer edges of the lawn (I hate those gasoline powered weed wackers), is working on tree stands and blinds for deer hunting.   It is nice to have an electric drill, saw, air compressor and welder available for those projects, all of which do just fine on a 5000 watt generator.   I have an intense dislike for portable battery powered tools and extra gasoline engines to maintain, so the more plug-in tools I can use the better.  I have grown somewhat dependent on that portable generator and would probably still want one if and when I ever get a stationary unit for the house.   

It's not 1984 ,even professionals use battery operated hand tools .

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

It's not 1984 ,even professionals use battery operated hand tools .

They may but I don't.  My last straw on those was when I tried to use my dad's battery-operated drill to put in a pilot hole and a lag bolt into a hard maple tree to support a blind over at my folks place about 5 years ago.  Naturally, the battery was not up to the task and they had no charged spare at the house.   I found an antique hand crank brace and bit out in the barn and used that to get the job done.    I have a few plug in electric drill motors that are probably from the 1950's and still work as good as they did when new.   Batteries might be handy when you are in a house or shop with some spares and a charger but not so much out in the woods or back in a field.     

22 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

They may but I don't.  My last straw on those was when I tried to use my dad's battery-operated drill to put in a pilot hole and a lag bolt into a hard maple tree to support a blind over at my folks place about 5 years ago.  Naturally, the battery was not up to the task and they had no charged spare at the house.   I found an antique hand crank brace and bit out in the barn and used that to get the job done.    I have a few plug in electric drill motors that are probably from the 1950's and still work as good as they did when new.   Batteries might be handy when you are in a house or shop with some spares and a charger but not so much out in the woods or back in a field.     

It was a joke but i strongly disagree with your review of battery operated tools . 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 2:39 PM, Belo said:

They got solar company's now I think they are starving for business they  set them up for free on your house . No money down and you  just pay monthly like electric bill .

I never botherd to research it more from the time I saw the guy trying to sign people up at the mall one time .

Maybe something to look into if you want something that is totally offgrid . 

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Wolc, battery tools have come a long way. If you get a brushless tool with a 4 amp lithium ion battery, it will be powerful and run for a while. They even have small miter saws that can be run on batteries. You should check them out. Sometimes they will have a demo model at h0me dep0t to test in a wood board.

On 4/5/2018 at 7:11 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

If you have natural gas, just get a generac that will do your whole house and put it on an automatic transfer switch. Buy once cry once. 

yeah but I think they average around $5-$6k. that's a lot compared to a $700 portable and a switch... but I agree the best solution.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 11:30 PM, philoshop said:

There seems to be a bit of confusion in the title. A portable generator is either one with a handle, that can easily be carried, or one that can easily be moved around from one job site to another to run tools and a compressor. That's not what you're talking about.

that is what I'm talking about. a 5 to 6k portable that can be backfed via a transfer switch to run select appliances. Heat is gas, but need to power the furnace. Would never consider using one to power a/c or to run the house like a normal day. Just the essentials. Plenty of people use this method. Cost less, but a pain to refill gas.

as an aside, i wouldn't plan on using this for chores. I always buy gas. Who buys an electric weed trimmer ;)

On 4/7/2018 at 4:27 AM, G-Man said:

5000 watt will work ,don't need a back feed if you have service disconnect already after meter. Pull disconnect and start generator. Just hook up a 220 plug and feed into that. Will run a whole house.

not sure I fully grasp this. 

On 4/7/2018 at 8:24 AM, Storm914 said:

They got solar company's now I think they are starving for business they  set them up for free on your house . No money down and you  just pay monthly like electric bill .

I never botherd to research it more from the time I saw the guy trying to sign people up at the mall one time .

Maybe something to look into if you want something that is totally offgrid . 

i've thought about this too. unfortunately the south facing side of my home is the front. Was it reversed i'd probably go solar. 

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, Belo said:

My wife would not want a portable due to re-fueling issues and we agreed to swallow hard and purchase and have installed a fixed back-up gen and have connected to natural gas presently serving our home. .I will have just the basics hooked up...frig/freezer/furnace/ general lighting/ micro, etc. Oh well...it is what it is.  Good luck with whatever you go with.

• Like 1