For Or Against Full Inclusion

DirtTime

For Or Against Full Inclusion  

105 members have voted

1. 1. For Or Against Full Inclusion

• For
    • Against

1 hour ago, tughillmcd said:

You hold your recurve with your release when the deer isn't looking and hold it while you line up you pin on the animal? 

?

Some guys don't use  them on a compound bow either but what I am telling you is 

we can learn from what already happend compound bows almost made recurves and longbows go extinct. When put in the same season .

So unless you want the same for compound bows  you need a Speacial  season  for it .

And it would be a good idea to have one just for recurves and longbows as well to revive that sport.

Or Else it just becomes a technology War .

Edited by Storm914

4 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I don't see that. as hunters progress in their hunting careers and ability the draw for a more traditional and challenging implement becomes even more attractive. 

Not with out a special season when is the last time you saw a guy hunting bow or xbow in gun season on state land lol 

It is those  special Seasons that get people into it for the most part .

15 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Not with out a special season when is the last time you saw a guy hunting bow or xbow in gun season on state land lol 

It is those  special Seasons that get people into it for the most part .

apples and oranges. When is the last time you saw a guy go from a compound to traditional archery?

• Like 1

For example let say you wanted to promote the sport of spear hunting or  atlatl 

To get people into that sport you would need a special season  for it .

Because most guys are not going to go for a less effective weapon unless there is a reason for it like a special season .

That's why its, good a idea  to have seasons  for each type of weapon and not group everything together .  

It' not about killing deer .

Because if it was they could just make gun season longer or give out more tags in gun  to do the job. 

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

apples and oranges. When is the last time you saw a guy go from a compound to traditional archery?

You did not read what I wrote fully go back I said that already that's the point you introduce a better weapon the crossbow in all of archery most not going to use any bow anymore like what already happen with recurves .

Your not going to kill the bow guys deer your just going to force them into crossbow hunting. 

That is all that Will happen in fact if giving the chance if DEC gave out permits to let hunters use a gun in all of archery for a exstra fee .

Most All of the bows and  xbow will go in the trash lol 

Edited by Storm914

2 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You did not read what I wrote fully go back I said that already that's the point you introduce a better weapon the crossbow in all of archery most not going to use any bow anymore like what already happen with recurves .

Oh I understood exactly what you are saying and I added that as people mature in their skills and want more of a challenge they will also migrate from the crossbow, compound to the traditional. Crossbows wont be the end of traditional archery. Just like they won't be the end of hunting with compounds. I have all 3 now and depending on the day, my mood and my set up it will be a game day decision what i pick up to carry. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Oh I understood exactly what you are saying and I added that as people mature in their skills and want more of a challenge they will also migrate from the crossbow, compound to the traditional. Crossbows wont be the end of traditional archery. Just like they won't be the end of hunting with compounds. I have all 3 now and depending on the day, my mood and my set up it will be a game day decision what i pick up to carry. 

Most guys need a push most just want to hunt longer it is not about the weapon to them .

If gun season was as long as bow most Will not pick up the bow .

It is what it is .

Some will most Will not .

27 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Besides even if someone wanted to  be more challenged and do that most guys don't have the time to do it . Especially without the special season

If you got limited time to hunt chances are you going to go for what ever gives  you the best chance at that deer .

The gun .

Edited by Storm914

18 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

What kind of idiot CHOOSES a less effective weapon when hunting?  Geeze.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

That is exactly what my oldest son did . Matt has 3 or 4 recurves and makes his own footed shafts for his arrows . His younger son who just turned 10 has been shooting a stick bow for about a year . Matt went from compound to recurve about 10 years ago . 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

What kind of idiot CHOOSES a less effective weapon when hunting?  Geeze.

Anyway most guys don't have the time to play around like that even if they wanted to yea I could hunt with a 9m or a 45 acp .

And kick myself when a 10 point shows up at  200 yards lol 

4 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

That is exactly what my oldest son did . Matt has 3 or 4 recurves and makes his own footed shafts for his arrows . His younger son who just turned 10 has been shooting a stick bow for about a year . Matt went from compound to recurve about 10 years ago . 

If you have the time .

Most guys don't 

3 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Anyway most guys don't have the time to play around like that even if they wanted to yea I could hunt with a 9m or a 45 acp .

And kick myself when a 10 point shows up at  200 yards lol 

Storm I have heard the question from many that are considering whether to try traditional: "but can you live with the fact that a big buck may be out of range with the trad bow and would have been in range with the compound?"  If the answer is, I would kick myself, then stick with the compound.  Greater challenge carries with it the likelihood of less success (but that is only if success is measured is inches).  As someone said, it is what it is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

If you have the time .

Most guys don't 

People find time for what is important to them.  Nothing wrong with choosing the easiest most effective weapon either.  That's why I could care less what weapon others choose to use when hunting.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

People find time for what is important to them.  Nothing wrong with choosing the easiest most effective weapon either.  That's why I could care less what weapon others choose to use when hunting.

I would love to get back into using my recurve but do i have the time no so I stick with the compound bow .

I like the simplicity of them for some reason but I just don't have the time to practice with it to the point I can get as good as with my compound bow.

And I dont have enough time to go hunting  to have a shot with a recurve at the limited range I can shoot one good at .

It is what it is .

I envy those that do it tho .

Edited by Storm914

2 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I would love to get back into using my COMPOUND but do I have the time no so I stick with the CROSS bow .

I like the simplicity of them for some reason but I just don't have the time to practice with it to the point I can get as good as with my CROSS bow.

And I dont have enough time to go hunting  to have a shot with a CROSSBOW at the limited range I can shoot one good at .

It is what it is .

I envy those that do it tho .

See how that can work for crossbows too?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

See how that can work for crossbows too?

Thats why im not against a crossbow season or older guys having a exemption.

I also would like a special season just for recurve .

So I could use my recurve and not feel bad about not being able to take a shot because it is out of my range limit  for that weapon 

See what I am saying . 

It is all about time .

18 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

One year ago I did not care one way or another about Xbows, but I just joined NYS Crossbow Coalition, Said I was referred by Doc, Belo and Stormy thanks for getting me motivated guys , although you cost me $120, but that’s just a start I got plenty more $ and time to give .

F8142119-54C9-4BE9-AA0C-14D821C332FA.png

I agree that one should support those organizations that share and fight for their beliefs and values, I am a proud member of NEW YORK BOWHUNTER'S INC.

Al Kranbuhl

001.thumb.JPG.20acc7bed1f349069916e569b6183249.JPG

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Just like they won't be the end of hunting with compounds. I have all 3 now and depending on the day, my mood and my set up it will be a game day decision what i pick up to carry. 

Like I have said in the past...one season from Oct. 1st to whenever, so many tags allotted to each hunter, and shoot them any time during the season with the legal weapon of your choice.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

So I could use my recurve and not feel bad about not being able to take a shot because it is out of my range limit  for that weapon 

See what I am saying . 

It is all about time .

So your "easier" is OK for bow season but others is not. Got it.

29 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Like I have said in the past...one season from Oct. 1st to whenever, so many tags allotted to each hunter, and shoot them any time during the season with the legal weapon of your choice.

Or 2 seasons - one for ALL bows and one for ALL guns.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Or 2 seasons - one for ALL bows and one for ALL guns.

Steveb has it right

how about one long gun season  season a lot don't  really  care right what we all use .

You have one season and everything goes. 

Why make in complicated .

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

For example let say you wanted to promote the sport of spear hunting or  atlatl 

To get people into that sport you would need a special season  for it .

Because most guys are not going to go for a less effective weapon unless there is a reason for it like a special season .

That's why its, good a idea  to have seasons  for each type of weapon and not group everything together .  

It' not about killing deer .

Because if it was they could just make gun season longer or give out more tags in gun  to do the job. 

Great so let stop vertical bow season and only.allow the crossbow in the two weeks it's legal then :)

18 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've got about every style of legal implement and enjoy using them all. If they came out with an atlatl or a spear season I would probably try that too. You could look at the people that are for inclusion as feeling "entitled" but you could look at those opposed as well and see them like the crotchety old geezer that is more interested in what the neighbors are doing than anything else. Or being a person that lets how others are doing something  define their happiness.

I just picked up a crossbow this past season because the deal presented itself and work out well for me. I carried it during that season.  But the previous years I hunted with two friends that hung up their compounds for crossbows. So there I was, sharing the same woods with two of the evil minions. Guess what happened? Not a thing was different than the years previous. We still enjoyed breakfast, had some laughs and they even took a couple deer that we butchered and made sausage. We enjoyed that great food over beers at hunting camp. The sky didn't fall. The God of Traditional archery didn't shoot lightening bolts from the sky.  The seasons came and went and according to the NYDEC and their harvest numbers there really wasn't an impact on the overall archery take. 

Quite a convincing set of arguments. The only question I have about all that is, "When are you going to start advocating that gun hunters not be excluded from the early season"? Expand the opportunities of choice to them too. Don't you see a bit of hypocrisy shouting and screaming about the selfish elitism of bowhunters while you all turn around and argue for the exclusion of gun hunters? Come-on.....You want to champion weapons choices? Don't all those same arguments apply when you willfully exclude guns from the early season? I think they do.

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

See what I am saying . 

It is all about time .

So you can't get enjoyment out of being close using your recurve or long bow unless you have it in a special season?  Why would you feel bad using it at all they give you the choice. 

Just admit your upset someone who may use a weapon with perhaps a further range may shoot "your " deer.. they have separate record books for just this reason. And separate requirements as well. 

Simple scout more put in more effort so when Oct 1 comes you are in position to kill the animal you want. Using your choice of weapon!! 

• Like 1