A new Savage 220

A few weeks ago I was discussing with my Dad(main hunting partner) how I have been reading alot about the accuracy of the Savage 220 20ga. And I was most likey going to make a move on one after spring turkey.

Fast forward to last week we were shooting 3d at S&S in Springville and after ward I had the clerk price a 220 out for me.

My dad became a little more interested and jokingly said I gotta run it by the boss(my mom) but I will most likely grab one too. We have some wide open spaces and hunt a shoutgun only area so the distance and accuracy this gun claims really peaked his interest.

Well low and behold it was my birthday last week and this beauty showed up! I was more than shocked, and this gun will definitely have a little extra sentimental value as I carry adield this fall.

Picked up the bases and rings today along with a few different types of ammo.

Hopefully the weather breaks soon so we can throw a few down range.

Oh and by the way....the boss approved the purchase of two....so he has a matching one as well!

1a4fd0c8b34dbcd889f279cb11dfc2e5.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 9

had one myself and agree with Moog be a little aggressive when you cycle that bolt. That plastic casing needs to be tossed out of there. And they always seem to like a specific brand pending on the gun.  Mine shot the best with the Federals. I tried all of the ones you have there and best groups were by the federal, but always hear of different guns liking the remingtons or the hornady or the federals.  Nice rig and good luck.  I have taken deer out to 130 yards with one   

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Aren’t the Ssts the ones with a bad rap for whistling through with no expansion? 

I've read that too....

I've only shot a handful of deer with mine(6) between 60-125 yds and haven't had an issue of any sort. Just my experience.

• Like 2

I've read that too....
I've only shot a handful of deer with mine(6) between 60-125 yds and haven't had an issue of any sort. Just my experience.

Same here. Been using them for years with no issues. In fact I almost think the opposite they do a lot of damage going through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Aren’t the Ssts the ones with a bad rap for whistling through with no expansion? 

Ive had it happen with SSTs in slug guns many times. It also happens with my ML, as I use either SSTs or TC Shockwaves, which are essentially the same bullet. Accurate as all getout though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Ive had it happen with SSTs in slug guns many times. It also happens with my ML, as I use either SSTs or TC Shockwaves, which are essentially the same bullet. Accurate as all getout though.

same here with the muzzleloader.  i can hold under 6" groups at 200 yrds though.  it weird i've had some not leave much of a blood trail and others it was like you dumped a bucket. same shot placement too with neither one hitting bone. one of them with no blood trail turned the heart into a dozen or so pieces. i think it's just your shooting into a deer and different stuff happens every time.

• Like 2