Roadkill

Cory

I just drove from buffalo to Pittsburgh for a baseball game with the kiddos and I was absolutely shocked on the amount of dead deer on the roads in Pennsylvania. I counted 23 from Erie to the outskirts of Pittsburgh.To me it seems that in NY you really don't see many roadside casualties until the bucks start running the doe. If you drive that way be safe and be alert!

I noticed the same last year around this time when going back and forth to Harrisburg. It got to the point that it freaked my kids out a bit seeing so many dead animals on the road.

I've often wondered how many were collision casualties versus fell off or out of someone's car.

theres so many dead deer on the roads in Pennsylvania cause they get caught in the huge potholes they have!    Its amazing anytime you drive 81 its always being torn up yet its always terrible with holes.  Maybe their highway crews are too busy to pickup dead deer.  Or they havent assembled the team that your governor has .........um sure lol.  (wasnt able to say that straight faced by the way) 

Most Highway Crews don't pick up the roadkill . It is usually sub-contracted to an individual or company . They in turn wait for enough reports to make it worthwhile to go make pickups in their designated area . Otherwise , it isn't profitable . 

An amendment, introduced by Sen. Joe Scarnati, R-Jefferson County, onto a newly signed transportation law, is intended to make sure PennDOT, already responsible for clearing roadkill from state routes, gets it done promptly, said Casey Long, a spokesman for Scarnati.

There was no statute outlining a timetable for deer removal prior.

Pennsylvania is the national leader, by volume, when it comes to deer-involved crashes, amassing 10 percent of the country's total per the latest data. According to a statistic released by State Farm, 126,275 accidents involving deer were reported for insurance purposes from June, 30, 2014 to July 1, 2015.

Only West Virginia, Montana and Iowa, three states with sparse populations, have higher per capita rates of deer accidents.

On 4/6/2018 at 12:23 PM, Steve D said:

Pennsylvania is the national leader, by volume, when it comes to deer-involved crashes, amassing 10 percent of the country's total per the latest data. According to a statistic released by State Farm, 126,275 accidents involving deer were reported for insurance purposes from June, 30, 2014 to July 1, 2015.

Only West Virginia, Montana and Iowa, three states with sparse populations, have higher per capita rates of deer accidents.

Had no clue it was the leader but makes sense... 

Can residents collect roadkill? Seems like lots of states will let you if it can be done safely and/or you call it in. Hey, if it looks fresh enough, better in someone's freezer than going to waste.