Looking for CWD?

This shows how much the state of Ny has vested in seeing if CWD really is in the state. 203,000 killed in the state. 14,000 deer in DEC hands to pull a sample from. 2000 Tested in the whole state? What is that like .000001% testing numbers? Yup really looking out for a Disease. 05df6c6663ce600891dbcd05b950bcf9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2014/11/dec_amends_states_chronic_wasting_disease_regulations_following_discovery_of_it.html

I remember we used to have to take our deer to a collection site for a few years in oneida and madison county cause of some local positive tests in the Verona area - after several years of this they discontinued it because of no positive tests for wild deer taken by hunters.  

It's the wonderful world of statistics. Little, teeny, tiny, levels of sampling size magically expanded out to meet the entirety of whatever it is that they are trying to tally up. All of wild game management is based on that same science.....lol.

Caused from misfolded protein/prion.Transmissible sponge form encephalopathies/ both TSE and CWD are caused from the same avoid eating brain spinalcords eyes spleen tonsils and lymphnodes not likely to be transmitted to humans.

Edited by Dom

I remember people were pissed when they took the deer heads in a bag.  Told us not to eat the meat until testing notification came back.  And if you wanted head back for mounting they would send it to you or to taxidermist.  They sawed the horns off my 3 pointer.  It was a pita.  Had to load deer and go there and wait in line.  And show them on map where you got it. I was there on the second day of the gun opener so it took a while. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I shot a 6 point 3 years ago with cauliflower ear, and sours all over its nose. Started skinning it out and in the center of its back in the meat on the backbone there was a white and yellow spot. Looked like a hard boiled egg cut in half.

I met with dec officer and she issued a new tag. Then told me to take the deer and throw it on land I hunt somewhere. Her response to me about her taking it for testing was she did not want that nasty thing.

I think the deer had some type of wart disease but will never really know.

2 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Its easy, just need to test around deer farms, where else is it going to come from?

Oh you mean the farms that test at 100% compared to the states 0.000001 of a percent?   Yeah i guess that shows how much they really care about it. Yet they talk about banning urine because it may transfer the prion- Which has never been a proven thing.

The way they test, Hunters will be eating positive meat years before they ever find a positive.

3 minutes ago, dmandoes said:

fourseasons ur a deer farmer right? of the 100% that deer farms test,  how many test positive for cwd? 

Depends where your at i guess. States like Pa have them on both sides..Illinois is working towards 1000 cases in the wild but never on a farm. West Virginia has 100's of cases in wild yet none on farm.

Point being that the state of Ny among others preach to hunters and farmers to do everything in their power to keep CWD out yet they test at less 0.00001% of testable animals and then support crap like feeding untested animals to birds and vermin for surveys.

4 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

2000 Tested in the whole state? What is that like .000001% testing numbers? Yup really looking out for a Disease.

Best part of that is if they found one case they would be testing every deer in the state...dead or alive.

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Best part of that is if they found one case they would be testing every deer in the state...dead or alive.

Its already here they just dont test enough in the area where it walks right into the state. Just think if it comes from a farm?  100% testing every deer, Closed borders, Yearly inventory,Double fencing for many...  Thing is now the states are talking of making any property owner that has a case on their property must fence it for 5 years and put it on the deed so future owners know there was disease found on that property.  LOL    Cant wait to see the buzz over that one.  Fair is fair i guess!

4 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Its already here they just dont test enough in the area where it walks right into the state. Just think if it comes from a farm?  100% testing every deer, Closed borders, Yearly inventory,Double fencing for many...  Thing is now the states are talking of making any property owner that has a case on their property must fence it for 5 years and put it on the deed so future owners know there was disease found on that property.  LOL    Cant wait to see the buzz over that one.  Fair is fair i guess!

https://huntingny.com/forums/topic/44724-now-this-is-interesting/?tab=comments#comment-661759

2 minutes ago, Rob... said:

If they read this this site they do. Think man! Think!

They are bigger than this site and there is no way other than DNA to figure one of them out.  Thats like a simple guy like me saying one of my book bucks were not shot with lighted sites on my bow.

Pretty funny though.

Hey 4 seasons are you just bad at math or running a line of crap the numbers come to about 1% checked. You know like no deer have died of CWD remember that one or CWD being sold on are shelves for 30 plus years.

7 minutes ago, Larry said:

Hey 4 seasons are you just bad at math or running a line of crap the numbers come to about 1% checked. You know like no deer have died of CWD remember that one or CWD being sold on are shelves for 30 plus years.

Why dont you do the math for us?  200.000 deer taken in the state not counting the 1000's of road killed and they test 2000?  What % might that be?

I am still waitin for you know it all to show me a case of a of a dead deer confirmed dead from CWD and i can show ya proof of a few different products sold in Ny that may be loaded with the prions.   Next?

Edited by Four Season Whitetail's

Even if you doubled the number of deer killed this year to 400000 it would still be 1/2 of a percent and not the WAG you came up with. As for deer dyeing of CWD all you have to do is Google it. everyone has prion protein, PrP normally exists in a healthy state called “cellular prion protein But it's capable of misfolding. You specifically said CWD.

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

Even if you doubled the number of deer killed this year to 400000 it would still be 1/2 of a percent and not the WAG you came up with. As for deer dyeing of CWD all you have to do is Google it. everyone has prion protein, PrP normally exists in a healthy state called “cellular prion protein But it's capable of misfolding. You specifically said CWD.

Your so full of shit. If you googled it then throw up the link. Show the case where a deer was proven to die from CWD?   Should be a simple task as you say. Help us out.

9 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Why dont you do the math for us?  200.000 deer taken in the state not counting the 1000's of road killed and they test 2000?  What % might that be?

I am still waitin for you know it all to show me a case of a of a dead deer confirmed dead from CWD and i can show ya proof of a few different products sold in Ny that may be loaded with the prions.   Next?

See my post above.  7 deer confirmed 5 at a farm and 2 wild in Verona.  Then they tested 7300 deer in the area with no further positive tests.  That was a few years ago but it did happen. They took all the deer heads in the county for testing.  

10 hours ago, Larry said:

I am sure FSW was just kidding Larry.   Of course 2402 deer tested out of 203,000 deer harvested is 1.18 %, confirmed by my six dollar calculator and sixth grade math.  That number of deer tested is probably adequate provided that the sample is properly selected.  They would want some randomness combined with over sampling in areas that they suspect CWD might pop up.  All that is determined by professional biologists and statisticians ahead of time.  They can't test every deer any more than every rifle cartridge can be tested for quality control.