Shoutout to PayPal

The_Real_TCIII

I bought a gun on GunBroker and paid with PayPal. Long story short the guy disappeared and never shipped it. PayPal refunded my money after a ten day waiting period. I hope they stay on the guy and press charges if applicable. He essentially stole $785 from me

Pretty sure its against paypal policy to deal in any firearms transactions

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-paypal’s-policy-on-transactions-that-involve-firearms-faq585

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Like 1

PayPal is awesome I buy stuff from all sorts of different fishing forums I'm on protects buyer and seller. He actually never even got the money. Unless you sent friends and family (they won't refund you if you did so I know you didn't) he had a waiting period as well to even have access to the money last time I sold something it was 21 days or positive feedback sent PayPal.

People who fear buying or selling stuff online need to not anymore with paypal they protect everyone involved and don't allow any sensitive info to get shared.

Glad it all worked out

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

PayPal is awesome I buy stuff from all sorts of different fishing forums I'm on protects buyer and seller. He actually never even got the money. Unless you sent friends and family (they won't refund you if you did so I know you didn't) he had a waiting period as well to even have access to the money last time I sold something it was 21 days or positive feedback sent PayPal.

People who fear buying or selling stuff online need to not anymore with paypal they protect everyone involved and don't allow any sensitive info to get shared.

Glad it all worked out

Once you are a verified member, payments are received and can be transferred to your bank acct immediately. 

• Like 1

Once you are a verified member, payments are received and can be transferred to your bank acct immediately. 
Damn I've had PayPal for at least 8 or so years and am still not verified I guess. That's B's lol

I'm assuming it's a pretty legit thing to get verified tho so hard to believe that someone who did this was.

2 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Damn I've had PayPal for at least 8 or so years and am still not verified I guess. That's B's lol

I'm assuming it's a pretty legit thing to get verified tho so hard to believe that someone who did this was.

You may be right.  But I thought it’s only a few transactions to get verified.  I don’t recall not being verified but maybe many years ago.  Waiting would annoy me.  They did the same thing on eBay until you sell a certain number of items.  Bet they love the float.  

You may be right.  But I thought it’s only a few transactions to get verified.  I don’t recall not being verified but maybe many years ago.  Waiting would annoy me.  They did the same thing on eBay until you sell a certain number of items.  Bet they love the float.  
Ooo...see that may be my problem is all my selling has been eBay and what wasn't was friends and family transfers from guys I've met....

Guess I never thought it was a eBay thing. And heck yeah free money that gets to sit in their bank for a bit probably collecting interest on top of the fee the collect anyway. Then PayPal takes a percent too

Yea, I though they were anti?
Good on them as I use them fairly often.  Maybe they're seeing the light?????  (doubt it tho!!)
I didn't think you could use them to purchase anything related to firearms.

Guess they changed the policy.

Glad it worked out. TCIII.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Ooo...see that may be my problem is all my selling has been eBay and what wasn't was friends and family transfers from guys I've met....

Guess I never thought it was a eBay thing. And heck yeah free money that gets to sit in their bank for a bit probably collecting interest on top of the fee the collect anyway. Then PayPal takes a percent too

Yep.  That’s eBay not PayPal holding up the payment. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rob... said:

What is PayPal’s policy on transactions that involve firearms?

Personal
Business

We don’t allow PayPal members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working order or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition.

For example, using PayPal, you can’t buy or sell:

• Any firearm, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether they’re for sport and recreation, collectibles, or curio or relic firearms.
  • Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify guns so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items in this category.
  • Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.

Stun gun sales are allowed for U.S. residents, but only if the transaction is permitted by law in both the buyer's and seller's jurisdictions. (PayPal account holders outside the U.S. can’t buy or sell stun guns.) Before they complete a sale, U.S. sellers must make sure that the transaction is legal in both locations.

Related items that you can buy and sell using PayPal include paintball guns, blank guns, and air-soft guns, as long as such transactions are legal in the applicable jurisdiction. All of these items must display the markings required by law, must not be convertible to shoot a lethal projectile, and can’t include blank ammunition.

^^^right off the web site; thought the same thing.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

What is PayPal’s policy on transactions that involve firearms?

Personal
Business

We don’t allow PayPal members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working order or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition.

For example, using PayPal, you can’t buy or sell:

• Any firearm, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether they’re for sport and recreation, collectibles, or curio or relic firearms.
  • Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify guns so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items in this category.
  • Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.

Stun gun sales are allowed for U.S. residents, but only if the transaction is permitted by law in both the buyer's and seller's jurisdictions. (PayPal account holders outside the U.S. can’t buy or sell stun guns.) Before they complete a sale, U.S. sellers must make sure that the transaction is legal in both locations.

Related items that you can buy and sell using PayPal include paintball guns, blank guns, and air-soft guns, as long as such transactions are legal in the applicable jurisdiction. All of these items must display the markings required by law, must not be convertible to shoot a lethal projectile, and can’t include blank ammunition.

Why quote me? I made an observation on the policy I read last a few years ago. Doesn't seem it's changed.

Just as I said, I'm glad it worked out for TCIII.

2 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Why quote me? I made an observation on the policy I read last a few years ago. Doesn't seem it's changed.

Just as I said, I'm glad it worked out for TCIII.

Because I agreed with you? So I posted whats on their website and that makes it relevant to the thread.

Sorry.....it doesn't happen often if that makes you feel better.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Because I agreed with you? So I posted whats on their website and that makes it relevant to the thread.

Sorry.....it doesn't happen often if that makes you feel better.

Yeah, sorry, not many agree with me on here. I do get a bit defensive at times. I apologize. 

• Like 2

I've heard some real horror stories about the punitive measures Pay Pal takes when you violate their firearms policy.  They seem to go to extremes against any firearm transaction.  I was warned about using them years ago by people on gunbroker.com and stopped then. 

I don't know if they even know what I bought. I put in the claim as Item never sent, they said the seller has ten days to respond. He didn't, they said the money would be returned to me. No,further questions. It's possible this isn't the end of it though

• 2 weeks later...

Well lo and behold the guy shipped the gun. I got my money back from PayPal on 4/6. This guy has never responded to paypal or my messages, and ships the gun after the claim was long settled. Hes clearly and idiot. I emailed him yesterday and told him that the gun is at the FFL and he will hang onto it until we get him paid, of course he hasnt replied. Ive used PayPal for several gunbroker transactions. I dont think they know what youre paying for and I hope they dont ask. All they knew from the claim was that I paid for the item and the seller didnt ship it. They ask the seller for his side and since he didnt respond after ten days they refunded me. Im not going to send him funds again until paypal tells me how to proceed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Well lo and behold the guy shipped the gun. I got my money back from PayPal on 4/6. This guy has never responded to paypal or my messages, and ships the gun after the claim was long settled. Hes clearly and idiot. I emailed him yesterday and told him that the gun is at the FFL and he will hang onto it until we get him paid, of course he hasnt replied. Ive used PayPal for several gunbroker transactions. I dont think they know what youre paying for and I hope they dont ask. All they knew from the claim was that I paid for the item and the seller didnt ship it. They ask the seller for his side and since he didnt respond after ten days they refunded me. Im not going to send him funds again until paypal tells me how to proceed. 

call me Mr. Obvious, but can you or the ffl inspect the gun before you send him the payment? you never know...

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

By the way I did not use "Friends and family". As stated above you have no recourse if you do that and the seller doesnt ship. On archery talk its against the rules to ask people to do that, build the fees into your selling price or eat them as cost of doing business

I've bought a few bows from AT and used friends and family ,only from the guys that have a bunch of solid feedback.

1 hour ago, goosifer said:

call me Mr. Obvious, but can you or the ffl inspect the gun before you send him the payment? you never know...

Yes thats done, Mike at Johnsons said its exactly as described. The seller called him in a panic and said he hasnt been paid dont give me the gun, yet he cant reply to me or paypal? The whole thing is weird

• Like 1