Who has spring food plots started

Anyone else been working on food plots this spring? So far I have cleared and seeded 3 spots. I also cleared another spot to seed next week.

I have been working on it for the last 3 weekends. Figure its easier to remove and clear brush now with equipment i have. First time trying so feedback would be great. I am using my new side by side with the snowplow to do the work, and a walk behind sead spreader.

The first pic is red and ladino clover and the others i used antler king no sweat. I also spread triple 15 fertilizer on all of it.

20180407_132330.jpg

20180407_133040.jpg

20180407_133119.jpg

20180407_133139.jpg

• Like 1

I am thankful for the cold weather we have been getting, because I am behind on equipment maintenance.  It did look like the winter wheat was starting to green up a little, prior to this last cold snap.  That fall planted crop is mostly a nurse crop for the white clover and is also the the first place the deer will go after it greens up.   My only spring plantings this year will be 3-4 acres of corn.  I have plenty of leftover seed for that down in the basement and it will get planted sometime between Memorial Day and the Fourth of July.   The ground needs to get  warm enough and dry enough first.   Last year, with all the rain, 4 acres was plenty and the last of it has finally been cleaned up over the last couple weeks.   The year prior, with the worst drought in recorded history, that much only lasted until mid-December.  Fortunately, that was all the way thru ML season which helped make filling the freezers with venison a piece of cake that year.  What we lacked in vegetables, we made up for in meat.    

Ive frost seeded clover plots, and planted a few pear trees, the few days we had a warm up between freeze and snows. Got  a bunch more to do though.

If your spreading clovers and chicory youll be good. But if you didnt kill off everything in the fall, you'll have some weed competition I would imagine.  Not sure whats in antler king no sweat. but most anything besides perennial clovers and chicory wont make it with more freezing nights.. 

9 hours ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

Well I have six apple trees ready to plant and tons of seed ready to hit the ground..

Tgis was Saturday morning at my camp :(

1012BD0C-ED97-4C9E-9E2A-4D2D153EC1C4.jpeg

Where I planted the clover there are also about a dozen apple trees that the deer were hitting last year. I hope to establish a all year food source in this area. Its on my fathers land.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Ive frost seeded clover plots, and planted a few pear trees, the few days we had a warm up between freeze and snows. Got  a bunch more to do though.

If your spreading clovers and chicory youll be good. But if you didnt kill off everything in the fall, you'll have some weed competition I would imagine.  Not sure whats in antler king no sweat. but most anything besides perennial clovers and chicory wont make it with more freezing nights.. 

The no sweat stuff was recommended by the local seed store I bought it from. They said it should work, but I thought the same thing about it not coming up. I hope it does. It was a mix of rye, clover and oats. If it doesn't I will be positive and look at it as a learning experience. 

Freaking driving me crazy, three different bags of seed just sitting and waiting! Still 8 inches of snow at camp. My wife and I went up last Sunday and I am hoping to frost seed two areas. Still not even close I need a good hard rain! Spring turkey in the snow might happen.