Television Disposal In Your Town??

Lawdwaz

Think we got an electronics drop off day coming up down at the town garage soon.

Just gotta hang onto the junk till then.

I know a few country roads where folks just launch them over the guardrail with their old tires and let them pile up at the bottom. :ireful:

I'd throw it to the curb for a day or two some one might take it.
Be careful....in the city of buffalo I have seen the weekend scrappers drive up to a boob tube on the side of the road.....smash the hell out of the glass....reach in and just pull the guts out....I suppose they are grabbing the copper?? Well ling story short that glass shattered into thousands of pieces and was a royal pain for my neighbor to clean up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

At one time Best Buy accepted them, not sure f they still do.  

Otherwise, Towns or Counties will have electronic waste collection days, especially in the spring time.  I’m sure there will be one in your area soon.  

13 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Scrap metal yards pay for them and computers. But it’s the towns responsibility to set up a collection site. Isn’t recycling mandatory up there?

From when I googled “ electronics disposal,Buffalo “, they all pretty much said either no TVs or no residential customers , towns may do it like once a year. 

A) Try a craigslist add , under free items

B )  one night put it out front with a neighbors trash....

C ) smash it up and stuff it in your tote 

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

I was cleaning out a clients rental, and they left 4 older style tv's. I had a 20 yrd can delivered. Put them on the bottom of the can and covered them with the other crap Tennant's left. 

Couple days after the can was picked up, my CC was charged $25.00 for each TV.   

In this area my company is the only one that takes electronics for recycling anymore.  They will take anything but if ypur in Buffalo that isn't gonna help.  We run the Madison  county recycling center.  I would call the local recycling place and they would probably know.

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I always thought it was mandatory. I worked in a town recycling yard here on Long Island for 20 yrs. before I transferred out they started take in all electronics. We even had to set up and certify workers to handle hazardous waste.

i looked it up and found this:

The New York State Solid Waste Management Act of 1988, signed into law by Governor Mario M. Cuomo, required municipalities to adopt local laws or ordinances requiring the separation and segregation of recyclable or reusable materials from solid waste by no later than September 1, 1992.Sep 1, 2017

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

So you have a television to get rid of, how do you do it

If you are in Ontario County:https://ontariocountyrecycles.org/BusinessDirectoryII.aspx?lngBusinessCategoryID=35

Manufacturer's Takeback Program

Did you know that under the New York State (NYS) law, manufacturers must provide a convenient and free process for folks to recycle their electronic waste? (Note: Manufacturers are not only required to accept their own brand of electronic equipment for recycling, they are also required to accept one piece of electronic waste of any manufacturer's brand if offered by a consumer with the purchase of electronic equipment, covered by the law of the same type by a consumer.) Consumers can use DEC's list of electronic equipment manufacturers registered in NYS, to find manufacturers, their brands electronic equipment covered by the law, and their electronic waste acceptance program websites and contact information.

Livingston County:    https://www.livgov.com/dpw/Pages/household_hazardous_collection.aspx

Erie County (or is it the Town of Amherst?) is having a "drop off" day May 19th.  I believe it is from 9am-12pm 

You need to wait in line for your turn to unload and I've heard it can take quite awhile.  Also and more importantly it is a Saturday in TURKEY season. :(

The Town of Amherst has had collections at their site on North Forest for years until a few years ago.  Then they had an agreement with a joint in Tonawanda to take them.  That deal ceased and now they don't have anywhere for a resident to drop off electronics, at all!

Last year I paid $5 each to dispose of 4 tv's from my FIL's trailer/camper. 

I'm thinking of a new tv for our bedroom but will have to get rid of a big ass Sony.  This isn't a big deal in life like CWD and xbow stuff but was just curious what others have for disposal.

How come the places that sell the new electronics aren't forced to take the old goods like cans and bottles from beverage stores etc??  (used motor oil, tires etc too)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Steve D said:

If you are in Ontario County:https://ontariocountyrecycles.org/BusinessDirectoryII.aspx?lngBusinessCategoryID=35

Manufacturer's Takeback Program

Did you know that under the New York State (NYS) law, manufacturers must provide a convenient and free process for folks to recycle their electronic waste? (Note: Manufacturers are not only required to accept their own brand of electronic equipment for recycling, they are also required to accept one piece of electronic waste of any manufacturer's brand if offered by a consumer with the purchase of electronic equipment, covered by the law of the same type by a consumer.) Consumers can use DEC's list of electronic equipment manufacturers registered in NYS, to find manufacturers, their brands electronic equipment covered by the law, and their electronic waste acceptance program websites and contact information.

Livingston County:    https://www.livgov.com/dpw/Pages/household_hazardous_collection.aspx

Best Buy isn’t a manufacturer 

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

So you have a television to get rid of, how do you do it?

My town does not except them anymore!!

See if your county DPW will take it then.  I can't believe your town dpw will not accept.  Did you call your town highway department?  If so try calling your town hall, or vice versa.  I work for a township, and sometimes we do not get informed of such things.  

This is WHY junk gets trashed on road shoulders, due to municipalities not accepting such odd ball items,  and then they wonder why.

I know all of our collected electronics get trucked to a business in another county, try a quick Google search if you haven't already for such companies. 

5 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Best Buy isn’t a manufacturer 

What is your point????  The Manufacturer's Takeback Program is just some more information. The other list is for places that "supposedly" accept them.

Sorry for trying to help

Their are some scraping flat screens as they are not child friendly. I know Nerf darts are tough on flats.  Those people are looking for the older tv's for gaming yet, long as they work.

Unless the Town of Amherst have that rule, once out to the curb, the town owns it.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

11 minutes ago, Steve D said:

What is your point????  The Manufacturer's Takeback Program is just some more information. The other list is for places that "supposedly" accept them.

Sorry for trying to help

They sell them, they don't make them.