My First Brand New Gun

Going through those old gun factory photos in the other thread and seeing the demolition of the old Ithaca Gun factory reminded me of the purchase of my first brand new gun back in 1968. An Ithaca 20 ga Deerslayer with the rat tail forend and a 20 inch barrel from Wells Boat Shop in Rome NY $126.00, paid him a few bucks a week all summer long and had it in time for Deer season. The purchase was evened out when the owner of Wells bought an Airedale pup from me about 20 years later.

Ithaca was ahead of the curve back then using light gathering front sights and the scout scope mounting system.

Al

ithaca_deerslayer_ad.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 5

An outfit in Ohio bought the Ithaca name and a bunch of the machinery from the old factory and have been making Ithaca 37s in limited numbers for a few years now. I saw a 28 ga featherweight at a gun show and it looked to be every bit as good as the old Ithaca produced guns, I would love to have one, a heck of a grouse-woodcock gun I think. The chrome finish looked real nice and in a practical sense would keep that shotgun looking new for many years.

Al

2018-04-09_064820.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

My cousin has one of the old Ithaca guns. It is a mean kicker I tell you!

I sighted in guns for a gunsmith many years ago, and the M37 was the bruiser even when compared with the big centerfires. I still have the one in 12 Ga that my Dad bought in the mid-to-late 60's. It's a joy to carry in the woods and and very quick to point, but it's nasty as heck at the bench. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

6" groups at 100 not unusual and powers right through brush and branches.  Neither would really be considered acceptable now. 

Back in those days a 6" group with the old shuttlecock foster slugs at 100 yards was tack driving, most shotguns could not keep slugs in a pie plate at 100 yards. The Ithaca Deerslayer barrel was bored slightly under size with no choke giving the slug a snug fitting smooth ride that promoted about the best accuracy one could obtain with the old Foster slugs. As for brush busting it was common to hear that slugs could shoot through brush, there are still many today that believe big hunks of lead will make it through thick stuff and make a kill, as many tests and experiments have proven all bullets can be deflected by brush and that is the problem,  it is best to pick a clear spot to shoot through and avoid hitting anything except the Deer.

Slugs and slug guns have come a long way since 1968, even the foster type slugs have been improved a lot and will shoot pretty well out of a good barrel.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1