Deer walking on leg bones

Jeremy K

Wow.... I've never seen anything like that, and hope I never do. No idea how that kind if injury could have happened on BOTH hind legs???  But talk about a TOUGH animal!!  Glad that they put him down, to end his suffering.

A buddy shot a bear this past season and it wasn't until I started to skin it that I noticed one front foot was a flap of skin. basically walking on bone and the entire bone foot structure was gone and no pads or nails. fully healed and not an injury from this year. It was what I would imagine damage from a trap would look like.  I can't imagine a deer walking or running on that much bone. I wish there was a video

My own largest-antlered buck had a fresher injury, similar to those.  Someone had shot a hoof off, a day or two before, and it was hanging by a thin strip of hide.  My own first shot struck high on the opposite diagonal front leg, breaking the bone and taking it completely out of commission.  He made it into the brush before I could get another 16 gauge slug into him. These days he might have got away, but I was a little bit faster 30 years ago.  The two bum legs really slowed him down.  I will never forget the sight of those wide, light-colored antlers thrashing up and down thru the low brush.  Loosing one leg barely slows them down, but loosing one and a quarter makes them catchable. 

Based on this experience, my guess is that the OP buck's hoofs were severed from an almost-perfectly broadside shotgun slug or large caliber rifle bullet (a good bone-busting caliber).  I am pretty sure that the buck I described would have have done ok on his back stump, had I not intervened before he learned how to use it properly.  One thing is for sure, If he did not have that prior injury, we would have eaten a lot more chicken that year, and my wife would have room for a few more pictures on the wall today.               

5 hours ago, wolc123 said:

My own largest-antlered buck had a fresher injury, similar to those.  Someone had shot a hoof off, a day or two before, and it was hanging by a thin strip of hide.  My own first shot struck high on the opposite diagonal front leg, breaking the bone and taking it completely out of commission.  He made it into the brush before I could get another 16 gauge slug into him. These days he might have got away, but I was a little bit faster 30 years ago.  The two bum legs really slowed him down.  I will never forget the sight of those wide, light-colored antlers thrashing up and down thru the low brush.  Loosing one leg barely slows them down, but loosing one and a quarter makes them catchable. 

Based on this experience, my guess is that the OP buck's hoofs were severed from an almost-perfectly broadside shotgun slug or large caliber rifle bullet (a good bone-busting caliber).  I am pretty sure that the buck I described would have have done ok on his back stump, had I not intervened before he learned how to use it properly.  One thing is for sure, If he did not have that prior injury, we would have eaten a lot more chicken that year, and my wife would have room for a few more pictures on the wall today.               

Guess ole God was not running your projectiles for ya back then  like he does these days huh?  Repent Maybe?  Not on your best behavior back then so ya didnt have the man in your pocket?    More Crap!

Edited by Four Season Whitetail's
  • Like 1

We we're doing a deer drive and pushed a buck past my cousin and he shot a couple of times, he saw the buck go down. When we got up to it one of his shots had taken both front hooves off, the buck must have jumped over something and he tucked his front legs up and caught a 308 projectile. Weird things happen on occasion. This particular deer caught one in the lungs too but I imagine there are a lot of deer out there with some real odd injuries.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

Looks like a Photoshopped to me,, 4 to 5 inches of bone showing and the deers exposed leg meat is still not healed and looks fresh...

Im not buying in...

i did a google search ,it seems nobody is denying the validity of the picture ,just how it became to be is up for discussion.