Synthetic winch rope?

3 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

I am, but just got mine at the end of january. I have used it alot already with my plow, so far so good.

I went with it cause cables rust and if it sits a lot without use I worried about the cable not being functional when I would need it.

Thank you for the feedback.  I too plan to use it for the plow, but also occasional tree work.  Did you go name brand, or like an Amazon?

4 minutes ago, mowin said:

Interested in this also.  Just purchased a 2500# winch for my landscape trailer.  Thinking of swapping out the cable for the rope. 

Guess the rope will stretch????? 

Not sure on this, I too would imagine that you would get some stretch, but they do sell a variety of break strength rope. 

I put this one on this year for plowing. Just got tired of screwing around with the cable.

So far so good. Used it all winter on a 4' plow with no problems or breaks.  It is supposed to have a 4700lb break strength but have not put it to a real test yet.

$20.00 on sale or with a coupon at harbor freight.

harbor.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/atvutv-synthetic-rope-fairlead-kit-63139.html

Edited by Steve D
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I have talked to few guys that plow with an ATV or UTV and take off their ropes or cables and wrap a tow strap around it for the winter. That was my plan for next season just need to find something to wrap my cable onto.

I'm not following you completely.  They wrap what with a tow strap? The winch rope? To prevent fraying, or damage?

Sorry, i am a bit dense this morning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

I'm not following you completely.  They wrap what with a tow strap? The winch rope? To prevent fraying, or damage?

Sorry, i am a bit dense this morning. 

They run all the cable or rope off  the winch then take one of those flat tow straps and wrap it around the winch drum 3 or 4 times then use the hook end on the plow. Something like pictured below except with a tow strap not a ratchet strap. Could use one of those boat winch straps if you you wanted. Basically the tow strap acts as the consumable instead of your winch rope or cable. The AmSteel is super strong and abrasion resistant but it will eventually start to fray similar to a cable. I would rather tear up cheap $10 tow strap than my cable or rope.206213d1317181130-tow-strap-plow-mod-100

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bionic said:

I was peaking at this line, not expecting it to be an indestructible line since its frim Amazon, but I also wouldn't be throwing away the stock Warn brand cable.  $60

51pzQZHBjiL._SY400_.jpg

Here is bulk AmSteel line for about the same price just need a fairlead and hook.

http://www.amsteelblue.com/amsteel-blue-3-16-synthetic-rope-by-the-foot-4-900-lbs/ 

The line i posted is 1/4" line, i will have to see what the site you posted has for options.
I like that with the tow strap, but hoping to fully utilize the rope if i swap over.
Yeah i wasn't sure of that was amSteel rope or not

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I run sythetic, a little advise when plowing swithch to a roller fairland, and in the summer run a hawse fairland. The synthetic will snap after alot of plowing if not using the roller, its because the low angle the rope attaches to the plow it will rub on the hawse fairland. I snapped mine a few times last winter.

Pic is hawse fairland. Also i bought my rope off ebay, wasnt expensive for 2500lb synthetic cable.

20180406_101308.jpg

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I run sythetic, a little advise when plowing swithch to a roller fairland, and in the summer run a hawse fairland. The synthetic will snap after alot of plowing if not using the roller, its because the low angle the rope attaches to the plow it will rub on the hawse fairland. I snapped mine a few times last winter.

Pic is hawse fairland. Also i bought my rope off ebay, wasnt expensive for 2500lb synthetic cable.

20180406_101308.jpg

Thank you for the info, and feedback.  I, honestly was curious how the rope would up to the harsh angle down to the plow.   I do mot plan to throw away the roller fairland, or the stock cable, swapping fairleads with be an option for sure.   

• Like 1

Ill be replacing my cable with a synthetic rope this year, as my cable snapped plowing. Im going to stick with my roller fairlead. for plowing Im just going to use leftover ratchet straps from when I swap them out in my stands. I wont care if they break and they are easy to swap out.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Ill be replacing my cable with a synthetic rope this year, as my cable snapped plowing. Im going to stick with my roller fairlead. for plowing Im just going to use leftover ratchet straps from when I swap them out in my stands. I wont care if they break and they are easy to swap out.

Sounds like a plan.  I am still undecided, but always happy to hear input of others.

• 2 years later...
On 4/10/2018 at 9:20 PM, Steve D said:

I put this one on this year for plowing. Just got tired of screwing around with the cable.

So far so good. Used it all winter on a 4' plow with no problems or breaks.  It is supposed to have a 4700lb break strength but have not put it to a real test yet.

$20.00 on sale or with a coupon at harbor freight.

harbor.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/atvutv-synthetic-rope-fairlead-kit-63139.html

I just bought this one myself , haven’t installed it yet though. Has good reviews too. 

1 hour ago, greensider said:

Yup the blue one I believe it’s spectra fiber

Thank you.  I bought that kit about 2 yrs ago that I pictured.  Its decent, but I will most likely go back to my oem cable.  Buying a side by side this spring/summer, so at that point I might put a good rope on that.