Central A/C question

Steuben Jerry

I'm looking to establish a rough estimate to add central air conditioning to an existing forced air system in our home and was hoping to hear from someone who did this or from any HVAC experts on the forum. I'm just looking for a general ballpark cost as I don't feel like going through an extensive quote process just make a decision.

I've got a 9 year old York Furnace with an Aprilaire humidifier. House is basically an 1800 square ft ranch with a 1600 sq ft unfinished basement. Not looking necessarily to cool the basement as that stays pretty cool in the summer on its own.

Just want a ballpark to decide if I think I want to do it or not. Not looking for a close number, just trying to figure out if it's $2,000 or $10,000 as I honestly have no idea. I've never had any type of heating or cooling equipment installed so I have no experience.

How 'bout it HVAC experts? 

15 hours ago, Critter4321 said:

..... just remember to put in a high return to your furnace so it pull in the hot air from high up

Not only for AC, but during heating season a forced air system will draw in warmer air, heats up faster/better within furnace and equalize the heat differential from floor to ceiling. Does require some demolition of wall sheathing in existing homes.

• Like 1

Had 3 window units going all the time. Electric bill was outrageous. Put in CA and our bill dropped considerably. 

I have a good friend who is in the business, so I PD cost for the parts, and labor was free.  Think the parts cost were around $2300.

• Like 1