Throw N Grow

I use and think after reading and learning a ton over the last two years WTI is the best seed company but if you look at what's in their throw and grow bag you are getting overcharged a ton. I would just go to your local ag dealer and ask for oats and cerial grains, add some red clover. As a perennial wti extreme worked great on an old logging road with low ph last year. Just needed a rake and I added a ton of lime and 200lbs 19-19-19 deer crushed it first week of October.  

Throw and grow still needs prep. You need soil to seed contact. A hand rake can clear it but it takes work. If it's a logging road down to hardpan you may need to bring some soil back on it.

You can get oats,rye,clover, turnip, and.lime and fert.all at your local ag store much cheaper than a prebagged mix. 

We logged our hardwoods 2 years ago and have a few patches  that would be ideal for small 1/4 acre food plots. The spot is pretty deep in the woods and we don't really have the desire to invest in equipment. Is throw n grow any good? Any recommendations? 

I’ve done way better with throw & grow than WTI clover or no plow. Not much food near me so the deer come within days.

I lead blow leaves away, then thrrow the seed and just walk around on top of it.

47759d775136a6a227290ab5f930fa52.jpg

7640397ccdf2f2a2438d584cbeef83c2.jpg

Looks like grass to me but when not much around besides acorns, they come to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

yeah man we put it down and with a lot of prep work and we put the deer deterrent around it so it would get a chance to take and it didnt work. you can rent the equipment and you have to test the soil  for p/h to at lest 3'' down and  fertilize too and still try and keep the deer away for it to take 

14 hours ago, land 1 said:

like people said i would just go with oats they seem easy to grow

so just buy oats at a store like country max and throw it around after raking the soil?

14 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

If I was in your situation, I would probably try Deer Creek's "logging road mix".  It's a pretty cheap mix of ryegrass, clover and fescue.  $27 for 9lbs.  I've been happy with their products, although I am a believer in WTI stuff.  

where would you get this stuff?

13 hours ago, tommyc50 said:

yeah man we put it down and with a lot of prep work and we put the deer deterrent around it so it would get a chance to take and it didnt work. you can rent the equipment and you have to test the soil  for p/h to at lest 3'' down and  fertilize too and still try and keep the deer away for it to take 

I don't have an issue doing lime. And I have a pH soil probe. For what it's worth, i've done clover plots with success, but tilled and did a lot of work. Not sure I want to do that this time around. 

i've wondered how well the probes really work if at all. easier to just send in soil sample to local co-op extension office.

DeerAg Back40 is a good mix. I don't know if George is still hanging around here. If you want an easy mix without making your own. it broadcasts well because the different seed sizes are separated. one doesn't get over cast more than another.

I've tried and compared whitetail institute products to feed store seed and have better"crops" on everything but Power Plant. (Will not use it again) I have used no plow last year with good enough success that I bought 3 bags for this year. Sign up for their emails to get buy 2 get 1 free deals. As has already been said use lime early and fertilizer when you plant.

IMG_20170904_210119874_HDR.jpg

I used WTI a few years back on an old logging road 12 yards wide 85 yards long . It was an extremely Dry summer and the soil is terrible in NH . i raked the whole area.Then used a backpack leaf blower to clear out a little more. waited until about 4 days before a rain storm. seeded the entire area. Lugged some Hay bails out there and spread it lightly throughout the area. It holds the moisture in the ground . Took about a solid 3 weeks to start seeing some good size stuff growing . 

Winter Rye is your best, and most cost effective bet. It doesnt need much to grow at all, after I get done seeding with my ATV, I find it growing in the areas of the frame where the seeds get into. I posted a pic of it a couple of years ago. I plant it in late August. You will have to cut down what they dont eat before you plant again. You can use it as a cover crop to get clover going as well, just mox some ladino clover in with it, the WR will grow that fall, along with the clover, which will come back in the spring. Then just cut the rye down, but cut it kinda long, like 6-8" high and overseed more clover in there. Deer and turkeys love it. You could do it all with a weed whacker and a rake.

• Like 2

As far as the grains go, deer like oats the best, followed by wheat, then rye, with barley the least favored.   Oats will not survive the winter, while the others will and are usually the first good fresh food for the deer in the spring (like about now).   Rye will take the least amount of nitrogen from the soil and do the best if it is acidic.  A 50/50 mix of wheat and oats might work good for you, and has the added bonus of being the cheapest and easiest to find at local ag stores.   Do not plant it until late summer.  

Edited by wolc123

Your best bet is a clover blend, and a cereal grain(cereal Rye preferably). remove leaf litter. and spread right before rains, Ive done it several times in clearings I made within the woods. and right over the top of recently made logging roads. As long as the rain isnt super heavy where it washes the seed away. you should have good results. I use DeerAg and or GRO products. with the absolute best results ever in my years of planting. 

But you must keep leaf litter out after each fall to keep plot established..  

• Like 1

I like plotspike's forage feast.  Clover, oats, wheat, some peas, and a bit of chicory.

I like oats / clover combos.  If the soil is that bad, rye might be a touch better.

You got an ATV?  Put some good sized bolts through a large tire and drag it.  Scratched soil that is mostly bare.  Then enogu hcover to keep birds out of it and moist for longer.

A deep till takes alot of work.  A surface scratch of an inch or two does great on most food plot seeds.

Keep them edges brushy, deer will be there more often during daytime if you do.