Throw N Grow

16 minutes ago, Belo said:

is there anything to plant in the spring or is it all pretty much around the fall?

Soybeans or corn. I want to try some soybeans this year. As previously stated I planted whitetail institute power plant per instructions and it was a flop. So I'll get some beans from a farmer to use. Also I had a great crop of sunflowers. Planted black oil seeds in May as crop dividers. I'll do that this spring too. I enjoyed the sunflowers as much as the wildlife benefited.

Plant clovers now if you want. Id kill everything first when it turns green and on a warm day first, then just spread your clover on top before rain.

If your going to use a nurse crop, you may want to wait until nights aren't as cold, frost threat is gone and soil temps rise.. I did a heavy blend of clovers last year at end of May with no nurse crop and they did great. But i eliminated weed competition first. and we got plenty of rains

is there anything to plant in the spring or is it all pretty much around the fall?

I do throw & grow in May and September. It keeps the bucks coming all summer for good trail cam pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Getting ready to do some work. I don't really see any varieties of oats that are "no till". Am I missing something? 

checked out these 2 so far

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/plotspike-forage-oats?cm_vc=-10005

and at twice the cost...

https://www.whitetailinstitute.com/whitetail-oats-plus-annual/ 

Figured I would mix in some clover or winter rye with the oats for the first go round. 

Also most of these are recommending some serious fertilizer. I don't mind flushing $50 down the drain, but not really sold on the work and extra effort and expense to do 300 lbs of fertilizers and what not the first year. Maybe if it works ok I'd get more serious. Anyone do ok without messing with lime and fert?

There is no seed really labeled "No Till" 

They are just putting seeds together that do not require much work at all to establish. You can basically get most any seeds to grow under the right conditions.. A good long rain for example, will germinate most any seed, just laying on top of the ground..  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Belo said:

Also most of these are recommending some serious fertilizer. I don't mind flushing $50 down the drain, but not really sold on the work and extra effort and expense to do 300 lbs of fertilizers and what not the first year. Maybe if it works ok I'd get more serious. Anyone do ok without messing with lime and fert?

Welcome back buddy!

I think your best bet at this point would be Winter Rye if you dont want to use any fertilizer at all. I have experimented with no fert plots, and they will grow, but I think the most I ever got out of them was  under 10 inches of growth. I planted the same plots with the same mix and added fertilizer the next year and they were more than knee high.

How much area are you going to do?

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

There is no seed really labeled "No Till" 

They are just putting seeds together that do not require much work at all to establish. You can basically get most any seeds to grow under the right conditions.. A good long rain for example, will germinate most any seed, just laying on top of the ground..  

yeah i should rephrase. I'm happy to rake or even use my tiller attachment on my trimmer (it's not really anything heavy duty), but not about to disc. And the "instructions" for some of these specifically mention tilling or discing. 

56 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Welcome back buddy!

I think your best bet at this point would be Winter Rye if you dont want to use any fertilizer at all. I have experimented with no fert plots, and they will grow, but I think the most I ever got out of them was  under 10 inches of growth. I planted the same plots with the same mix and added fertilizer the next year and they were more than knee high.

How much area are you going to do?

I guess it's more of a question of, is it even worth it to try without fert? we're surrounded by corn and apples, but there's a particular spot in the hard woods that they pass through. We're mostly bow hunters so my goal is to steer them towards the stand and not one of the other runs. Less of a dinner spot and more of a later morning snack... Does that make sense? 

This would be a no frills trial year. < 1/4 acre. If we get even decent results we'd get more serious in the following years. 

Edited by Belo

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

I guess it's more of a question of, is it even worth it to try without fert? we're surrounded by corn and apples, but there's a particular spot in the hard woods that they pass through. We're mostly bow hunters so my goal is to steer them towards the stand and not one of the other runs. Less of a dinner spot and more of a later morning snack... Does that make sense? 

This would be a no frills trial year. < 1/4 acre. If we get even decent results we'd get more serious in the following years. 

Oh absolutely worth a try. Winter Rye will grow just about anywhere, no fertilizer really needed for it. It ends up growing in my ATV frame every year after Im done spreading seed lol.

• Thanks 1

I did some Plot Spike Forage feast and some turnips also. I have plenty of sun though so my results would vary from yours but, my plot is growing great so far. 

I did have to till it and pack the seeds in though, it’s definitely not Throw and grow. 

Sounds like WNY has a good idea, keep it simple. Unlike me who went full bore into it right off the bat. Haha

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I did some Plot Spike Forage feast and some turnips also. I have plenty of sun though so my results would vary from yours but, my plot is growing great so far. 

I did have to till it and pack the seeds in though, it’s definitely not Throw and grow. 

Sounds like WNY has a good idea, keep it simple. Unlike me who went full bore into it right off the bat. Haha

i did full bore at my old house. tilled, limed, fert, cut trees. Had great results, but the work wasn't so hard as it was right behind the house. This place is deep and a good 20 minute hike. So it requires an "easier" approach for now as we don't really have any equipment. Old man bought a rancher 400 last year so at least we have something to transport all the crap. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

I have established plots in the woods using oats or winter rye, clovers and chicory using nothing but a leaf rake and a steel rake.  I did use a good dose of pelletized lime.  I had cut a bunch of trees for firewood, so there was a decent amount of light.  I checked one of these plots yesterday, and the chicory came back pretty thick.  The clovers were there, but sparse.  It can be done!

Edited by stubborn1VT
  • Like 1

I hunt on 400 acres of well prepped commercial farmland.  Last year I got a decent feller with the bow.  He was walking the edge of the field eating the weeds.    Filet Minon sucks if you eat it everyday......

Soil contact!  Remove stuff over soil, put seed in a bit of loose soil, push it into the soil...... 

I do several small 1/10th acre spots in the ADK's with a weedwacker and rake.  I don't hunt them, but use them for viewing what kind of deer are around, or atleast how many doe groups.

Many folks wait to fertilize once the seed is grown a bit.  I put a bit of fertilizer, or put some in the fall before I start, then put a decent amount when it's growning a bit.  

Besides food plots....   Hinge cutting to bring your deer another 10 or 20 yards closer.   Deer love to nibble the fresh buds

I'm nuts!   I fertilize the weeds!   I make sure my edges are brushy.   More concealed they are, they more they like it.   

Alternate foodplot idea I use.   Transplant shrubs they like to eat.

That 2 or 3 ft of soil before the corn row starts..... put some lettuce in, chicory.  You just need the right deer to be in the wrong place at your right time......

One huge trick, should be illegal.  Late rifle or muzzleloader, cut a maple tree down.   Works better than a bag of corn!  Do it in JAn/Febuary, you'll like sheds in the trees.  Wait a few days, then cut the high branches down low.     I've gotten atleast a dozen diffent does n bucks on a half gallon of 2 stroke gas.  Great for your freezer, even better for the herd.  Try to do it right before or during a real cold spell.  Seems to guarantee a shed during a cold snap.

I never use fertilizer on my plots, but they have been in a big rotation for many years now. A winter rye planting would probably suit you best, it is also the perfect crop to do with no till planting methods, as it is higher in carbon which will stay a "duff" longer and help retain soil moisture. Throw in some clovers too for a first year and see how it does. For a plot that size, a cereal rye, clover and maybe chicory would be best. 

If you can go back to your spot, Make sure your vegetation is lower to the ground and not real tall. As long as your vegetation is green, Spread your seed, then spray the vegetation good with gly/roundup last week of august about a day before rain. You only need a few hours for roundup / gly to work before rain.. A good Rain will germinate your seeds, as they start to germinate/grow, your sprayed vegetation begins to die, its perfect really. And it eliminates chance for birds to pick your plot clean of  your broadcasted seed lol. Really dont need any tools whatsoever besides a sprayer..

I did a clover plot last September on the 1st the same way. 

Also just seeded my whole backyard at camp since were never there this year.. Spread a huge blend of seeds, rolled with lawn roller and then sprayed all same day. as stuff dies, new seeds starts growing. works great. 

• Like 1

Appreciate all the advice. These few small plots were logged 2 winters ago. I imagine there's some decent nutrients in the soil, but I think I'll probably buy some fert, just not go crazy. Maybe just do a little bit of different varieties here and there.

The WTI stuff can add up. I'm in webster, is there anywhere local to buy some cheaper stuff?

How quick does winter rye come up?

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

Appreciate all the advice. These few small plots were logged 2 winters ago. I imagine there's some decent nutrients in the soil, but I think I'll probably buy some fert, just not go crazy. Maybe just do a little bit of different varieties here and there.

The WTI stuff can add up. I'm in webster, is there anywhere local to buy some cheaper stuff?

How quick does winter rye come up?

Belo

You can try agway on empire for seed.  Never looked there but I know most agways carry seed.

• Thanks 1