Put some turkey loads on paper this morning.

turkeyfeathers

First up my 12 0b0cde9c4870747f1d7f4ccfcc8952a4.jpgf6a06a6966420e9e2c294edfcf769275.jpg4bb9523de834d37e9a015ca603050e9a.jpg

First target is TSS load. I pattern guns to aim at waddle and bottom of pattern covers the noggin All 30 yards off shooting sticks and turkey strut chair. 98e9817a270e97751c5402b9714e192f.jpg3967bf87234ddc3c8a497cd519efd36d.jpg

2nd pattern is daughters 20 gauge. I did drop the pattern down a smidge after this shot. c7b4765bdaf49540e2c62d272ef239be.jpg8a4772c9ffa3495e066bc71677e3b0c8.jpg

3rd is XR 5’s from my 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

Looks like you're dialed in pretty good there my friend!!!   Are you hunting youth weekend with your daughter?

Hunting the Saturday of youth. She has ballet Saturday afternoon and commitment Sunday.  Friend says has birds “ probably “. Looks like free wheeling May for us both. And I usually hunt 20 plus days in May.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

We will be patterning my daughters 20 this weekend.

What loads you shooting ? I tried locating some Federal TSS for her gun but no luck. Cabelas nearby are as useful as boobs on a bull. Picked up the XR’s and pretty happy with what I’m getting  Just a jelly head tube too. 

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

What loads you shooting ? I tried locating some Federal TSS for her gun but no luck. Cabelas nearby are as useful as boobs on a bull. Picked up the XR’s and pretty happy with what I’m getting  Just a jelly head tube too. 

XRs and another one are what we will be trying. I cant remember what the other load is offhand, but Ill let you know. Gun is brand new and has never been fired.

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

You would think after a few years Federal would increase production a little or stores would stock them but no such luck. 

My teen will use the 870 12 I gave him last year and I just might carry the 20 once or twice. XR across the board here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stabe710 said:

Turkeyfeathers,

Where did you purchase the Heavyweight TSS??? I have been having a hard time finding it.

Good luck ! Buddy grabbed last 2 boxes of 12 gauge for me. 20 gauge non existent to find. FN safe act won’t allow to order online either. Cabelas won’t even ship location to my location.   Keep in mind if you do find them buy the 7.5’s and not 9’s if hunting NY. 9’s not legal in NY 

3 minutes ago, virgil said:

Do you mean that you have adjustable sights on your shotgun?

Daughters has Bushnell circle T that glows. I adjusted optics to POI  Had slug barrel dialed in on her gun. Now her gun ready to bang flop ole Tom.  So put on turkey barrel and needed to adjust just a bit. 

I got out and shot last week when I was placing my ground blind for the season. All it took was two shots. It was dead on, the first shot, but I wanted to make sure so I shot it again but this time at 30 yards. First one is at 20 and the second is at 30. I'm confident out to 45 with this load. It's hevi shot mag blends. 2e2159eb1d9560a337f6588a8c2c7224.jpg21960e5dca7ebb9c77644a062a6bcd53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Glad this post was made. My shotgun patterns the same every year, same barrel, same choke tube, same ammo, same fixed bead sight.
But, it did remind me that seeing I plan to try hunting with my bow I needed to put a couple arrows in a target. Haven't touched the bow in a few months. Two shots, broadheads, first to the left, second to the right.34b159ed58de3da74b9b9fd1795bc4d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Edited by Rob...
  • Like 1

Those 3 1/2 shells are too much for me. My brother loves them, but he is about 75 pounds bigger than me. I went back to 2 3/4 a few years ago. All I remember is that they were Winchester and only cost 15 bucks for ten, and they shoot fine out of an old Westernfield with a modified choke at 30 yards and under.

7 hours ago, reeltime said:

My pattern target at a 40 yard measured distance a couple weeks ago. 3.5 inch tss 7. 2.25 oz. Mossy 835 with comp n choke.

Tf how was the recoil or were you shooting a semi?90be43dd2b40a44ffc35523e81b69396.jpg

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

That’s looking mighty good !  1187 SPT and barely feel the 3.5 “   Could shoot all day   Gun is fairly heavy , semi , long barrel and ported choke tube sucks all the recoil   Dang thing throws the empty hull 50 feet lol. Makes for fun trying to find the empty as keepsake when I smash a bird. 

Dont miss the days of shooting my Winchester 1300 with only 2.75 “   It would loosen fillings in my teeth 

I was mistaken, I had purchased the XRs for my shotgun. My daughters, I picked up a box of Triple Beard and a box of Remington Nitro Turkey. We patterned each out of her gun yesterday, and the Triple Beard did just a bit better, but not by much, so after that box is gone, shes gonna stick with the Nitro Turkey, as its quite a bit less expensive. I shot the XR out of my 12, and I cant use it. It hits about a foot low and 4 inches to the left of where I hold at 30 yards. I rechecked with a Fiochi, and that hit just fine. Went back to the XR and it did the same thing. Ill keep it around to test with when I end up buying a dedicated turkey gun, but for this one, Ill stick with the Fiochi.

11 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I was mistaken, I had purchased the XRs for my shotgun. My daughters, I picked up a box of Triple Beard and a box of Remington Nitro Turkey. We patterned each out of her gun yesterday, and the Triple Beard did just a bit better, but not by much, so after that box is gone, shes gonna stick with the Nitro Turkey, as its quite a bit less expensive. I shot the XR out of my 12, and I cant use it. It hits about a foot low and 4 inches to the left of where I hold at 30 yards. I rechecked with a Fiochi, and that hit just fine. Went back to the XR and it did the same thing. Ill keep it around to test with when I end up buying a dedicated turkey gun, but for this one, Ill stick with the Fiochi.

https://www.amazon.com/Williams-Universal-Slugger-Shotgun-Sights/dp/B001U9WI2S

or a Red Dot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Ill just stick with what works. Haley hammered her bird last year with it. I just caught the XRs on sale and thought Id give them a try. I want to pick up a turkey gun at some point, so Im not going to put any effort into changing my Daly to use it for one more season. my turkey gun will have a red dot or holo sight on it.

• Like 1