Coyote den?

Chef

I can afford the fine for that and would be more then happy to pay it to have the yotes out of my back yard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We better not see you bashing anyone this fall that gets caught poaching then in one of the many articles that pop up. You are no better... Is it safe to assume you'd be jumping all over your next door neighbor for shooting the deer in the summer in his garden? After all, they're just a worthless pest to him... Im not one to believe but I do hope Karma is real...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

We better not see you bashing anyone this fall that gets caught poaching then in one of the many articles that pop up. You are no better... Is it safe to assume you'd be jumping all over your next door neighbor for shooting the deer in the summer in his garden? After all, they're just a worthless pest to him... Im not one to believe but I do hope Karma is real...

Go find one post where I bash anyone for anything except for wolc for being a dumba$$

• Haha 1

There is zero difference between killing a coyote out of season and killing a deer out of season. Just because you deer hunt, doesn’t mean you get to make the rules. In the grand scheme of things, deer are much more of a nuisance to landowners than coyotes. So poisoning a yote is exactly the same as poisoning a deer. There’s gotta be a better way to solve this yote den issue.

• Like 9

Just drop rolled up sponges in  sausage casings rolled in bacon fat near the hole. Problem solved. If you do that all winter on canine trails you'll never have a problem with canines..

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Just drop rolled up sponges in  sausage casings rolled in bacon fat near the hole. Problem solved. If you do that all winter on canine trails you'll never have a problem with canines..

Yikes, that's a bad way to go! Shooting may be illegal right now, but would be way more merciful.

What about just flooding out the den with water, making it unlivable or at least very problematic for them? Might get them to seek a quick relocation. Or fill it back in with dirt?

9 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

You just have to look at where these comments are coming from. 

LMAO- yeah, probably a bunch of guys with no game or environmental violations on their rap sheets and a deeper respect for nature in general.

Bunch of boring bums....8)

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Yikes, that's a bad way to go! Shooting may be illegal right now, but would be way more merciful.

What about just flooding out the den with water, making it unlivable or at least very problematic for them? Might get them to seek a quick relocation. Or fill it back in with dirt?

i don't know when pups are born exactly but if they aren't too capable they might drown. not the most humane method. i've known DEC to relocate "nuisance" animals including predators before. Different situation but hell they just relocated a yote that got stuck in the NY Museum. I would've probably called them first. There's legal reasons for dispatching them out of season just like some other wildlife but none of them seem to apply here. Also not exactly sure and a little less likely but you can get ticketed for harassing wildlife too i believe.

I usually don't say too much and will just avoid this thread, but will have my say for a quick minute. 

Hunters are usually a good representative for wildlife.  A lot of this thread is nothing but fodder for the "antis" many of you deem ignorant.  I have seen so far here ...shoot them out of season....drown them.....burn them alive ...and poison them.  All illegal and also just immoral.  I am sure a lot of this is just tough guys talking, but still you do no favors to true hunters that respect wildlife.   

I can totally see the OP being concerned and have to do something, made sense to me.  But maybe we should suggest to call the DEC for help.  

I wonder where people get the idea that hunters are evil killers.... If a person on the fence read these things and felt that way I dunno if I would blame them.  

There is some great, responsible, ethical people on this forum, that I have learned a lot from and enjoyed conversations with.  Even good debates.  

But to advocate some of these things is reckless and frankly ignorance in representing yourselves and the hunting community.  I don't expect anyone to change their minds and I expect to get killed by them from this post. I would expect no less.  But realize that I can understand why people leave this site and not want to be associated with such things.  

I have enjoyed this site so much but things like this are def making it difficult for me to stay as I would rather not be associated with people that would act this way towards wildlife.  Would you burn out or drown or poison a field of deer?  

I am generally pretty thick skinned and also never want to see free speech corrupted.  But I would hope a group of hunters would have far more ethics than I have seen here.  It's disappointing.  

Think I am gonna take a break for a bit.  Hoping maybe a hunting season will bring some more decency about and some good posts on successful ethical hunters that are also on this site.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I usually don't say too much and will just avoid this thread, but will have my say for a quick minute. 

Hunters are usually a good representative for wildlife.  A lot of this thread is nothing but fodder for the "antis" many of you deem ignorant.  I have seen so far here ...shoot them out of season....drown them.....burn them alive ...and poison them.  All illegal and also just immoral.  I am sure a lot of this is just tough guys talking, but still you do no favors to true hunters that respect wildlife.   

I can totally see the OP being concerned and have to do something, made sense to me.  But maybe we should suggest to call the DEC for help.  

I wonder where people get the idea that hunters are evil killers.... If a person on the fence read these things and felt that way I dunno if I would blame them.  

There is some great, responsible, ethical people on this forum, that I have learned a lot from and enjoyed conversations with.  Even good debates.  

But to advocate some of these things is reckless and frankly ignorance in representing yourselves and the hunting community.  I don't expect anyone to change their minds and I expect to get killed by them from this post. I would expect no less.  But realize that I can understand why people leave this site and not want to be associated with such things.  

I have enjoyed this site so much but things like this are def making it difficult for me to stay as I would rather not be associated with people that would act this way towards wildlife.  Would you burn out or drown or poison a field of deer?  

I am generally pretty thick skinned and also never want to see free speech corrupted.  But I would hope a group of hunters would have far more ethics than I have seen here.  It's disappointing.  

Think I am gonna take a break for a bit.  Hoping maybe a hunting season will bring some more decency about and some good posts on successful ethical hunters that are also on this site.  

Being a member of a web forum doesnt associate you with anyone on it. If you choose to leave because of others opinions, thats on you, dont lay blame on the site. The site doesnt advocate anyones opinion, whether or not the site owner or any of the moderators agree with it.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I hope you don't leave. The ethical people here need your support.

I’m sorry if some people here think what I did was wrong. But what would you do if there was a den with pups
40 yards out your back door. You have a 1 year old son and two dogs who don’t walk on a leash. Would you allow protective mother coyote to set up shop out your door. Now there is no proof I harmed any animal. I did smoke out the den with a gopher bomb and then cover the hole with rocks and lawn clippings. If you feel I did wrong I’m sorry but I feel
I did what I had to do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I’m sorry if some people here think what I did was wrong. But what would you do if there was a den with pups
40 yards out your back door. You have a 1 year old son and two dogs who don’t walk on a leash. Would you allow protective mother coyote to set up shop out your door. Now there is no proof I harmed any animal. I did smoke out the den with a gopher bomb and then cover the hole with rocks and lawn clippings. If you feel I did wrong I’m sorry but I feel
I did what I had to do.

I would have got rid of it whatever way necessary.  Nothing unethical about protecting yourself.  Our ancestors did away with predators for a reason. 

You where more humane than they would have been.

• Like 1

I’m not afraid of a wild dog, you have two hunting dogs so worse case scenario turn em loose. Now I would be hesitant to let them run because you put poison out, it works on domesticated animals too I’m sure. 

And as noted above they will disperse from your presence alone. 

You sound like a damn yuppie afraid of an animal that you haven’t even seen to know what it was. 

We deal with Coyotes, Fox, Fisher etc on a daily basis and I have yet to be scared or have to kill any of them. And yes that is right around the house. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I did what I had to do.

I don't think you have to worry about your toddler.  There has never been a case of a coyote killing a human in NY, or any other state that I am aware of.  The pet  dogs are a different story though, and many of them are eaten by coyotes every year in NY.  Several were badly injured in my own home town last year.  I would keep your dogs inside at night.

Please don't leave the forum, for there is no one who I would miss more than you if you did.   You are directly responsible for saving me hours of "prime" hunting time, which was gained by using that butt out tool that you so strongly recommended a few years back.  I was also able to use it as a bore gauge to indicate the only "perfect" shot placement that I ever pulled off.    

I would definitely join you in support of a year-round open hunting and trapping season on coyotes in NY.  Until that happens, you best just follow the rules and be careful with your pets.   The good news is, you must have a lot of deer around your camp as they usually only hang out near a good food source.      

Edited by wolc123

14 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I don't think you have to worry about your toddler.  There has never been a case of a coyote killing a human in NY, or any other state that I am aware of. 

You would be wrong about that. People have been killed and attacked by yotes, though its rare for people to be killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attacks_on_humans

• Like 2

Sounds to me like if you're afraid of every hole in the ground, what you don't need is a camp in the woods.

I’m going to try and not use fowl language in my response to you. But you are a special kind of stupid. I’m certainly not afraid of every hole in the ground. But when there is a active coyote den 40 yards off your back porch with la deer front quarter mostly dragged down the hole it makes you think. Maybe we should dig a hole and bury your dumb A$$ In it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whatever you do, make sure they dont leave the hole, especially if you poison them lol. A guy near me put out a 50lb bag of dog food, soaked in straight engine coolant for them. Well, several of the pups made it to houses a 1/2mile away and died in a kid pool trying to get water and the rest weren't far away dead as well. It got reported and lead back to him.. he got hammered with "goodies" from the DEC.. think 10k in fines.. 

Id just put a cam on it, Sweet pics. I would think your presence at camp would make the mother hi tail out with her pups.. I could be wrong.. 

This cam was tight to a den on the property line.. thousands of pup pics that summer. Counted 9 pups in one picture

HUNT0145.JPG

HUNT1717.JPG

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I’m going to try and not use fowl language in my response to you. But you are a special kind of stupid. I’m certainly not afraid of every hole in the ground. But when there is a active coyote den 40 yards off your back porch with la deer front quarter mostly dragged down the hole it makes you think. Maybe we should dig a hole and bury your dumb A$$ In it.

Weee tough talk from a law breaker who’s afraid of killer animals. 

How do you know it was even a coyote den, you didn’t see anything or hang a cam. 

Maybe stay in the burbs on the weekends where you are safe. Might be a rabid chipmunk roaming around you know. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1