Coyote den?

Chef

21 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

bet a lot of the ethical self righteous posters on this thread would take out the yote if if was 40 yards from their cabin .

BS. I live in the country unlike many of the posters I see that are on the side of killing out of a made up threat to their existence. 

16 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Tell that to AIREDALE, Tacks....Hehehe...  

No offense, but I think your fish cop buddy is FOS...

There are LOTS of medium sized and large dogs that would make short work of any coyote... That is not saying that the 'yote might not get lucky and kill a large dog, but thatwould be the exception rather than the rule...

Damn straight. Let’s not forget chef owns two GSP’s which are game enough to kill a yote. 

10 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Skunks are considered unprotected I believe so no laws apply to how and when they are killed. Similar to porcupine and wood chucks. 

Doesnt make it ok just makes it legal. 

Did not know that or even thought about if they were protected or not. I guess it was a moral issue with me

25 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

There are LOTS of medium sized and large dogs that would make short work of any coyote... That is not saying that the 'yote might not get lucky and kill a large dog, but thatwould be the exception rather than the rule...

Im just reporting the news, but I did get it right from the horses mouth. I almost wonder if the domestic dog thinks theyre just having a typical domestic dog scuffle but the yote knows otherwise lol

8 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Did not know that or even thought about if they were protected or not. I guess it was a moral issue with me

There was a story in Albany county a couple years back where some one was killing porcupines supposedly by clubbing them and leaving them on the side of the road. I don’t know if anyone really did do it but the story blew up and the Sheriff was all over the news saying he would catch them blah blah and then he learned they aren’t  protected and wanted to get laws passed. Of corse nothing ever happened and he was just saying that to be on the news. 

Just wish some folks would remember things like that when blabbing about SSS and things like chef did. It does have an impact beyond your back yard and you will get crap over it not just on a forum but in real life. 

Edited by Doewhacker

36 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

pygmy... i know you've been around long enough to know that it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. My domestic golden is 85 pounds and would be destroyed by smaller yote, let alone a pack (which is how they hunt).

Edited by Belo

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

pygmy... i know you've been around to know that it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. My golden is 85 pounds and would be destroyed by smaller yote, let alone a pack (which is how they hunt).

Well yes 99.9% of Golden’s are laid back house pets. 

Hunting dogs are not the same even remotely. 

I have seen the few Golden’s that are bred for hunting and it’s not even the same. 

I love all the drama videos too, just remember they have nothing to do with chef. Coyotes kill animals yup. 

Also chef posted a thread not knowing what a Fisher was not long ago, guess what animal has large feet and eats rotting meat.....

They don't mess with hog dogs. The red female looking at you caught one 2 years ago and all she got was some ear damage. My buddy walked up and shot the coyote. The might eat some house pets but they aren't fooling with cur dogs. 38f212e5b45c81c265a22375886329bf.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Well yes 99.9% of Golden’s are laid back house pets. 

Hunting dogs are not the same even remotely. 

I have seen the few Golden’s that are bred for hunting and it’s not even the same. 

I love all the drama videos too, just remember they have nothing to do with chef. Coyotes kill animals yup. 

Also chef posted a thread not knowing what a Fisher was not long ago, guess what animal has large feet and eats rotting meat.....

i only posted those drama videos as a counter-point to the cute and cuddly pictures. Do you dispute that they are capable and have a history of attacking animals larger than them and are capable and have attacked children?

That was my only reason for posting. I do hope you would at least admit they're capable. And we can both agree on that, and just disagree on what chef should or shouldn't have done.

1 hour ago, wooly said:

Well if your dog is no bigger than a rabbit ANY predator and probably a few grass eaters will try to snatch it up. Hawks, eagles, owls, coyotes, bears, raccoons, squirrels, field mice.... the list goes on and on. You can't take your eyes off those little guys!

The neighbors of one of our farms has a yellow lab that has been attacked multiple times by the local yotes. Its cost them thousands in vet bills over the years. Its not just little dogs that you have to worry about.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, left field said:

@WNYBuckHunter Warfarin poisoning is a terrible way to die so the least I would do is give your vet a call to let him know your dog ate some.

@wooly Nice pics. Can you come to my place and document all the cute animals?

We did, they said to keep an eye on him and that he would probably poop green, which is what he did. They said he would have had to have eaten a much larger quantity to be affected by it.

38 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Hey Belo I even said it in the post you quoted. Lol 

lots of animals attack humans, doesn’t make it ok to kill them all when ever you want. 

So it's okay for a domestic dog to be euthanized if it attacks a human but wild animals get a pass? Look at the zoo's and the amount of wild animals that have been killed because of attacking humans. Either way wild animals when in nature or in a human occupied area are still wild and will do what ensures their survival whether it's attacking another wild animal or a person.

9 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

So it's okay for a domestic dog to be euthanized if it attacks a human but wild animals get a pass? Look at the zoo's and the amount of wild animals that have been killed because of attacking humans. Either way wild animals when in nature or in a human occupied area are still wild and will do what ensures their survival whether it's attacking another wild animal or a person.

You make zero sense. 

Just because an animal is capable of an attack doesn’t mean it’s going to attack and needs to be killed. Like in this thread. 

6 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

You make zero sense. 

Just because an animal is capable of an attack doesn’t mean it’s going to attack and needs to be killed. Like in this thread. 

So pitbulls aren't put down because they were used as fighting dogs? They didn't hurt anyone. Pretty sure you saying a coyote won't attack smaller dogs or children doesn't make any sense. I get you think it should have been a reactive thing instead of proactive but would you be willing to take the chance on your livestock, pet, or child? The OP doesn't have livestock but I know you do along with a pet or 2 and I think I have seen you mention a child.

Edited by chas0218

9 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

You make zero sense. 

2 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

So pitbulls aren't put down because they were used as fighting dogs? They didn't hurt anyone. Pretty sure you saying a coyote won't attack smaller dogs or children doesn't make any sense. I get you think it should have been a reactive thing instead of proactive but would you be willing to take the chance on your livestock, pet, or child? The OP doesn't have livestock but I know you do along with a pet or 2 and I think I have seen you mention a child.

Again. Not making sense. 

If a pitbull is used for fighting isn’t it hurting other animals that it shouldn’t, and you know they are a domesticated animal so it has nothing to do with a coyote. 

Never said they wouldn’t attack. You seem to have a problem comprehending the difference between an actual threat vs a made up one. 

I wouldn’t and haven’t killed an animal just because it could pose a threat. If one did attack then yes I would but that is not the case here and would be legal. 

If I see a rattlesnake a cottonmouth or a copperhead in my yard they are dead. I know they aren't going to chase me across the yard and attack me but if I surprise them it could be bad. If a coyote gets to hanging around the house I'll shoot it. Plenty of woods for him, stay out of my yard. But living in Texas, our laws are such that this wouldn't be against the law.

On 4/16/2018 at 11:16 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

I usually don't say too much and will just avoid this thread, but will have my say for a quick minute. 

Hunters are usually a good representative for wildlife.  A lot of this thread is nothing but fodder for the "antis" many of you deem ignorant.  I have seen so far here ...shoot them out of season....drown them.....burn them alive ...and poison them.  All illegal and also just immoral.  I am sure a lot of this is just tough guys talking, but still you do no favors to true hunters that respect wildlife.   

I can totally see the OP being concerned and have to do something, made sense to me.  But maybe we should suggest to call the DEC for help.  

I wonder where people get the idea that hunters are evil killers.... If a person on the fence read these things and felt that way I dunno if I would blame them.  

There is some great, responsible, ethical people on this forum, that I have learned a lot from and enjoyed conversations with.  Even good debates.  

But to advocate some of these things is reckless and frankly ignorance in representing yourselves and the hunting community.  I don't expect anyone to change their minds and I expect to get killed by them from this post. I would expect no less.  But realize that I can understand why people leave this site and not want to be associated with such things.  

I have enjoyed this site so much but things like this are def making it difficult for me to stay as I would rather not be associated with people that would act this way towards wildlife.  Would you burn out or drown or poison a field of deer?  

I am generally pretty thick skinned and also never want to see free speech corrupted.  But I would hope a group of hunters would have far more ethics than I have seen here.  It's disappointing.  

Think I am gonna take a break for a bit.  Hoping maybe a hunting season will bring some more decency about and some good posts on successful ethical hunters that are also on this site.  

It has taken me longer than Rob, but I'm taking a break too. 

Have at it guys.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

Hey Belo I even said it in the post you quoted. Lol 

lots of animals attack humans, doesn’t make it ok to kill them all when ever you want. 

but the dec does say it's ok to kill all the skunks, mice, red squirrels all you want right? So your barometer of morality is strictly based on a NY law? A law that in many states doesn't exist. Where you can kill yotes 24/7 without bag limits. They're not native. They're invasive. How do you feel about boar? Many states have no bag limits or seasons on them either.

NY, the same sate that wont let you own an assault rifle. How about California? All of their game laws are perfect too? The same state that supports illegal immigrants? 

1 hour ago, hugedogleg said:

If I see a rattlesnake a cottonmouth or a copperhead in my yard they are dead. I know they aren't going to chase me across the yard and attack me but if I surprise them it could be bad. If a coyote gets to hanging around the house I'll shoot it. Plenty of woods for him, stay out of my yard. But living in Texas, our laws are such that this wouldn't be against the law.

remember you're dealing with new yorkers. There really isn't much to be afraid of in NY despite a rare black bear encounter. I agree with you, after living down south for 2 years, there's a very different mindset to predators. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Belo said:

but the dec does say it's ok to kill all the skunks, mice, red squirrels all you want right? So your barometer of morality is strictly based on a NY law? A law that in many states doesn't exist. Where you can kill yotes 24/7 without bag limits. They're not native. They're invasive. How do you feel about boar? Many states have no bag limits or seasons on them either.

NY, the same sate that wont let you own an assault rifle. How about California? All of their game laws are perfect too? The same state that supports illegal immigrants? 

remember you're dealing with new yorkers. There really isn't much to be afraid of in NY despite a rare black bear encounter. I agree with you, after living down south for 2 years, there's a very different mindset to predators. 

Oh the attempt at drama is sooo over done on this site. 

We’re not discussing morality. We’re discussing how it is illegal to kill coyotes out of season unless it falls in the parameters set by NY. 

I get it, you want to decide what laws are ok to break and which aren’t and when. Too bad, it ain’t up to you. 

4 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Oh the attempt at drama is sooo over done on this site. 

We’re not discussing morality. We’re discussing how it is illegal to kill coyotes out of season unless it falls in the parameters set by NY. 

I get it, you want to decide what laws are ok to break and which aren’t and when. Too bad, it ain’t up to you. 

i disagree. I think we are very much discussion morality. There's only 2 or 3 that are really hung up on the legality. 

• Like 1