Peanut earl questions.

Bionic

So as you all know I bought a deep fryer a little over a month back.  I have only used it twice.   Firat night, onion rings, and chicken wings.  Approximately a week, or two after I made another 20 wings in it.  I keep the earl right in the fryer, in the basement.   The earl has a fat layer on top from the wings obviously.  In this case, is the oil safe for use? Im not against using it, if its going to have an acclimated taste of chicken....however, if it is now rancid from fat, I would discard...

I am new to all this.

The oil was first used around March 12th...so about a month old since its first use.

Any input, and guidance woukd be appreciated 

May answer would be  that it would be fine..

FOR SURE, no pathogens  could survive once you reheat the oil to 325 or higher, so  I would say it is not dangerous...

The only issue would be flavor, and if I were you I would let my nose be my guide....Kinda like dating in my younger days  ...Hehehe..

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You may have to remove the top layer on yours as it was unfiltered Check the label on the cooking oil container to see whether the manufacturer has included any tips on storing the particular type and brand of oil. Though most food-grade oils are generally stored the same way, some may have more specific storage requirements or a longer shelf life than others.

Let the oil cool to about room temperature after turning off the heat. Once cooled, drain the oil through a cheesecloth to remove any bacteria. Pour the strained oil into a glass jar with a metal lid. Tightly seal the container and store in a cool, dark, dry place at room temperature, or in the refrigerator if you live in an extremely hot climate. The oil may appear a bit cloudy after some time in the refrigerator, but it should become clear again once it reaches room temperature.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, G-Man said:

You may have to remove the top layer on yours as it was unfiltered Check the label on the cooking oil container to see whether the manufacturer has included any tips on storing the particular type and brand of oil. Though most food-grade oils are generally stored the same way, some may have more specific storage requirements or a longer shelf life than others.

Let the oil cool to about room temperature after turning off the heat. Once cooled, drain the oil through a cheesecloth to remove any bacteria. Pour the strained oil into a glass jar with a metal lid. Tightly seal the container and store in a cool, dark, dry place at room temperature, or in the refrigerator if you live in an extremely hot climate. The oil may appear a bit cloudy after some time in the refrigerator, but it should become clear again once it reaches room temperature.

Thank you for that info.  I realize I can Google for my info, but I prefer first hand experience.  We did not keep the jug it was purchased in.  We may simply buy a new gallon jug,  and read directions on it this time.  I feel its fine, but would like to be positive.  Thanks G-Man, I always look forward to your input.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

I re-use my oil probably more than I am “supposed” to but I have a duet with the oil container below the fryer. When the oil cools to room temp, I flip a switch and the oil strains to a holding container down below. Then wash the metal fry bin.
The advice to buy that model with the straining feature came from my brother in law and was a good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I agree with straining. I usually leave the oil right in the fryer and store in my pantry most times though. I only strain when I have made anything with breading or flour coating, and the few times I have used a batter. When the oil is no longer clear, looks murky, or smokes, I toss it out. I also only give it a couple months. Even if I only used it once. 

Also, here's some advice, if you deep fry any sea food, toss the oil. Mainly because the oil will have a pretty bad taint of fish taste that doesn't go well with anything else. YUCH! When we do sea food we try to plan it so it's time to toss the oil. I also picked up a funnel, and put the old oil back into the original container.

As for the grease build up, I have never encountered that. Perhaps a byproduct of using the peanut oil? I use veggie oil mainly. Tried coconut oil once, very costly and it was really murky and smoked pretty bad after one use, which was chicken fingers and fries.

• Thanks 1