what are peoples results planting chicory

Worked great for me on an old logging road. Chicory was preferred at least the first year over clover. I'm planting a 1/4 acre kill plot because of the buck action, add a licking branch and 80% of my buck pictures came from one camera. Seemed last week of September and first week of October it was crushed. I have bear, turkey, and mature deer that enjoyed it.

Screenshot_20180415-183230.jpg

Screenshot_20180415-183043.jpg

Screenshot_20180415-183312.jpg

Screenshot_20180415-183451.jpg

• Like 4

I’ve had good growth results with chicory. Seems to help the clover get established as well. My deer didn’t seem to touch it until later in October when it got cold though. They would eat the clover around it until a good frost. Then all of a sudden the chicory almost seemed to disappear overnight. But it’s easy to grow and fed the deer so I’d give it a thumbs up.

• Like 1

I planted it in what amounts to a wide section of log road.  I mixed it with a couple clovers.  It is dry, well drained ground and it doesn't have an ideal amount of sunlight.  The chicory seemed to establish quicker than the clover.  I'm curious to see what it does in its second year.  Hoping to shoot a strutter in this plot next month!

17hplotSept (11).JPG

I Plant it/frost seed it every year within a clover blend.. the deer wipe it out as soon as it gets up and establishes. Id recommend planting it with a couple different clovers. Chicory will thrive in hot months of summer, where the clovers dry out some and wont be preferred.. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If anyone else is a fan of Jim Ward he has a video were he talks about bucks mowing down third or last week of October. I must say that is exactly what I had happen last year. This is the sec9nd year of WTI extreme and the chicory has came back great with no help from me. 

Screenshot_20180520-190423.jpg

Between my own research, and some suggestions from Growalot, I mixed up my own seed blend.  It is similar to WI Extreme.  I haven't checked on it since the start of May.  Now I'm curious.  The chicory did well where I planted it in the woods.  I wish I could work plots, now that it's dry enough.  Work is insane right now.  No fishing, no plot work, no rest for the wicked.  

That chicory looks good Cory.  Hope the deer enjoy it.  I came close to taking a tom out of my woods plot,  but the hen led him away.  It was cool to see him using the plot as his strut zone.