Building a log bridge

nybuckboy

I'm planning on building a log bridge across my creek. I've selected the shortest span and it's about 18" right now and could get another ft higher certain times of the year.  My plans are to fell four pine trees each about 20 ft long. Place 2 side by side and seperate them enough to be able place boards across all three to support a Kawasaki Mule.  After the boards are place across the 4 logs I plan to then run boards length wise for a path for each wheel span. Thoughts and other design ideas?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nybuckboy said:

I'm planning on building a log bridge across my creek. I've selected the shortest span and it's about 18" right now and could get another ft higher certain times of the year.  My plans are to fell four pine trees each about 20 ft long. Place 2 side by side and seperate them enough to be able place boards across all three to support a Kawasaki Mule.  After the boards are place across the 4 logs I plan to then run boards length wise for a path for each wheel span. Thoughts and other design ideas?

The most important information about this build isn't supplied. What diameter tree are you using at the smallest end? Also. When you say "pine"  do you know the exact species? 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, nybuckboy said:

I do not know the species.  I have not actually measured the sizes yet. Initial lay and design. I also have other species I could use locust trees as I have some of them too.

Species is important. Could make the difference between rotting out in 4 years or 20 years. Locust is TOP NOTCH if they are big enough. There is a reason they were used so much for fence posts. Oak is another very good one, but like Gman said. peel the bark. Makes a big difference. I put a bridge in at camp and I put a log in the ground on either side of the creek for the log bridge to sit on and not be in direct contact with the ground. (if that makes sense). Might be a good use of a pressure treated 6x6. 

• Like 1

I built a bridge last year for my compact tractor.I used telephone poles cut to length, drilled 2 holes in each end and drove 4 ft rebar thru,placed them about 16" apart, then screwed 2"x10"x12' pressure treated boards to the poles.Works excellent for me, probably overkill for your application.

• Like 1

We had utility poles for 25 yrs with no problem. until they got washed out last fall.  Poles are still good but too short now so we have to rebuild & come up with something better/longer.  We put a new deck on last summer & now 90% of that washed away in the high waters, dam!   FYI Poles will work & last.

Other options..cargo container ( covered bridge with lockable door) trailer body see cargo container.  Cable suspension ( I built one of these was to far a span to cross my creek no other way was 62 ft long) 

If you built as Culver said a section of telephone pole or pt.wood for your logs to lay on spaced out less than 2 ft On center with decking added of 2x4 or 6 or what everwidth you want will hold your ATV no problem. Just make sure your logs are of a rot resistant species and bark pealed. Of also build it a ft higher than you think.. water can get pretty high or beaver can move in and make it higher than you thought it would get

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

18"?  Just use some pressure treated 2x12s.    Heck, you can flip it up when not in use to avoid rot. 

Think he means the water depth is 18" at the moment, and it could get approximately a foot or so deeper, due to storms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

If it was really only 18" span, I would avoid the bridge and take a big step.  haha I am sure you are correct.

I was thinking heavy on the skinny pedal, and build a jump for the mule, kiddyup.  Haha

Sorry. Carry on....

42 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Are we disregarding ALL COMMENTS or just those related to this post? Too funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might as well disregard every comment I ever made.   In my defense, I have been suffering from the flu for 5 days or so.  

• Like 1

My buddy has a bridge over his creek . Occasionally it floods so bad that the water washes away the railroad ties that are sitting on top . Something to think about if the water should ever reach a depth that would dislodge the pine since the top boards are attached to them .  His railroad ties usually get stuck in the bank withing 50 feet of the bridge and just get pulled back with ropes .