Finally loaded up!

LET EM GROW

I finally got around to loading up some TSS Shells for the 20ga! 1-5/8oz #8 and some duplex loads of 7x8s. When New York ever gets around to changing the minimum shot size to legally hunt with, Id love to load some 9s, 9.5s and 10s for smaller calibers like the 410! These pellets flat out hit hard!! 

Let my daughter seal them with Nail polish and color them up some so I can distinguish the 2..  She loves getting involved. 

Snapchat-636650055.jpg

Snapchat-772766185.jpg

• Like 11

Hopefully get a warmer decent day before this weekend, and ill pattern them quick. I have a Youth Mossy Maverick 20ga, with undertaker .572 22" bbl. and a Remmy 870 20ga 26"bbl with IC .555 & Carlsons Super Full .575  to pattern with. Id like to have one gun setup for tight patterns, and the other for good hunting patterns.. 

• Like 1

The roll crimp and overshot card was replaced by the star crimp back in the early 1950s... Now it is back in some of these specialty loads...Funny how things come around...

I'll be eager to see how your handloads perform on the patterning board... Good Luck  !!....

• Like 1

Im also in the process of building a shot trap. Since the price of this shot is not cheap by any means. Hoping if I can catch at least 75% of the shot, after each pattern test. I can tumble it and re use it and be set for several years. We make gaskets and rubber sheets in couple departments at work, so i will dangle 3 or 4 1/8" sheets in front of a piece of tin, with a trough under neath. I think should be suffice.  Trial and error at this point!

What tube you shooting ? Hope you get out in the turkey woods some this year and thwack ole Tom with one of those.  Print out pics of Alivia helping and her and the bird.  Perfect photo album material right there.  Love it. Brought a smile to my face.  Thanks for posting. 

Thanks Grampy TF . She is bound and determined to conquer. Im not stopping her, only helping lol. Just need this weather to break so we can get outside.. been a long winter. 

TF, i have an 870 w/26"bbl and an IC 555 and a Carlsons 575 to pattern, also a Moss Maverick, 22"bbl, and a 572 Undertaker for starters. Hoping to get some tight patterns with the 870, and more of a hunting pattern with the Mossberg.. Since The Mossy is quite lighter in weight between the 2.. But if both shoot better than store bought lead loads. Its a success in my book, I cant spend too much on chokes this year. Got a lot wrapped up in materials lol 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The roll crimp and overshot card was replaced by the star crimp back in the early 1950s... Now it is back in some of these specialty loads...Funny how things come around...

I'll be eager to see how your handloads perform on the patterning board... Good Luck  !!....

I have a 20 ga re loader but thought it would be best with these fussy loads to do it by hand, the roll crimp is simple. I just need to trim the hulls slightly before loading the wad into the hull for next time. Theres a little too much extra hull to roll over the overshot card, to make a perfect roll crimp anyways lol And this is with a filler pad under the overshot card too lol. but I wasnt unloading the wads from hulls to trim them. Next time though! LOL

17 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I have a 20 ga re loader but thought it would be best with these fussy loads to do it by hand, the roll crimp is simple. I just need to trim the hulls slightly before loading the wad into the hull for next time. Theres a little too much extra hull to roll over the overshot card, to make a perfect roll crimp anyways lol And this is with a filler pad under the overshot card too lol. but I wasnt unloading the wads from hulls to trim them. Next time though! LOL

you roll crimping by hand with a drill attachment? I've found that a Q-tip with a very light coating of WD-40 rubbed around the outside of the hull just prior to the roll crimp process really makes it nice an uniform with much less pressure needed.   If you need the load raised in the hull you can add under the hull as well, I'd just grab a very dense card.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

you roll crimping by hand with a drill attachment? I've found that a Q-tip with a very light coating of WD-40 rubbed around the outside of the hull just prior to the roll crimp process really makes it nice an uniform with much less pressure needed.   If you need the load raised in the hull you can add under the hull as well, I'd just grab a very dense card.  

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering that as well, Im not a huge fan of changing up recipes since they are tried and true, with pressures and all. I Didnt want to change it up the first time around. I may try that for next time, thanks again.. The rolled real easy, But the drill press wouldnt slow down enough for my liking. And i didnt want to use a hand drill. I would imagine spinning at a more ideal rpm may have helped my results as well. 

51 minutes ago, reeltime said:

From the things I have read the hand loads like a more open choke and the factory loads like a tighter constriction choke.

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

I heard that as well, but everyone keeps saying every gun shoots a little differently. The 555 IC was recommended by many, and so was the more open chokes from .570 to .580.. so we will see. Id like to think any of them will be better than shooting factory lead out of the barrel, regardless of what choke. I see un believable patterns with a more open choke like a factory full, then turn around and see the same gun shoot a choke .030 tighter and the results are the same + -. I got the hardest part done, now the fun begins, except each "boom" is going to be like 10$ ... lol until my shot trap is built

10 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering that as well, Im not a huge fan of changing up recipes since they are tried and true, with pressures and all. I Didnt want to change it up the first time around. I may try that for next time, thanks again.. The rolled real easy, But the drill press wouldnt slow down enough for my liking. And i didnt want to use a hand drill. I would imagine spinning at a more ideal rpm may have helped my results as well. 

I made a jig out of PVC pipe. It was for 12 gauge but i imagine you could find some pipe that works. the shell went in and the crimp tool on a variable speed hand held drill inserted into the pipe from the other end. if kept the tool square and set to the exact same depth on every case. I'll try to remember tonight and I'll take a pic. Worked pretty slick. When I was reloading slugs I didn't see any pressure indications when I varied behind the sabot. Really didn't change that much between star crimp or roll crimp. But always good to keep your eyes open for it

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

Nice, I like the creative thinking! I know exactly what you mean. I made a 90 degree v block, with a machine screw for the clamp, then clamped to the table, or held tight by hand. It works great for any round parts, and is adjustable per diameter, but used on a drill press but i could make a jog for a handheld like you have too, worse case..  Im really not a fan of the rpms it was turning. And work would fire me if I brought them in to load lol. Tricks i learn from work. Now that i think of it, i bought an old school small drill press that is at my moms, i should go scoop it up.  

I think im going to let these fly tomorrow if the rain holds off.  

• Like 1