Turkey's Killed on Decline

TurkeyHuntPA_NY

Hey everyone-

Just seeing everyone's opinion on this. I started hunting NY in 1996. My dad and I noticed it was loaded with birds. As the years went on, it was harder and harder to find birds. Now they are starting to be around more like they were 20 years ago. I recently saw I report from the state about the decline in hunters and decline in turkey kills. Has anyone noticed this? I still hunt the same area year after year. Some years I see a lot of birds, other years not so much. Last year I saw more birds than ever. Let me know what your observations have been over the past. Here is the link to the report....https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/30420.html

To be honest, the NWTF has seen a decline in #'s and say it is mostly due to habitat... That's why they have their program "Save the habitat, Save the hunt"... If anyone turkey hunts and isn't a member they should really think about joining... It is a GREAT org and the do a TON in each state to help not only turkeys but all the animals that benefit from habitat restoration... 

• Like 1

I think Weather and Varmints are  two big factors regarding broods hatching and surviving. In places where varmint populations are high they will have a negative effect on nesting. Coyotes, Foxes, Coon, Possums and Skunks will all search out and eat the eggs.

Low fur prices have reduced trapping big time, more and more posted land and Hunters quitting and getting out of Coon and Fox hunting in large numbers resulting in a huge dip in participation that there was 25 years ago.

Wet springs which seem to have been common in recent years make for low survival rates for young turkey poults.

Add in some habitat loss and there are some big problems for Turkeys.

• Like 1

Spring hatches have been miserable last few years. Weather is biggest factor. Early to late 90s were huge populations. Warm sunny springs. Birds were rousted every 75 yards. Since the population has dropped so has number of hunters. My camp had 10 spring hunters back then . It's now down to 2.  Easy birds are gone and lot of guys have given up. Hopefully may will be nice warm month . That is. Biggest factor . Last years hatch varied across state with the weather

• Like 1

16 hours ago, airedale said:

I think Weather and Varmints are  two big factors regarding broods hatching and surviving. In places where varmint populations are high they will have a negative effect on nesting. Coyotes, Foxes, Coon, Possums and Skunks will all search out and eat the eggs.

Low fur prices have reduced trapping big time, more and more posted land and Hunters quitting and getting out of Coon and Fox hunting in large numbers resulting in a huge dip in participation that there was 25 years ago.

Wet springs which seem to have been common in recent years make for low survival rates for young turkey poults.

Add in some habitat loss and there are some big problems for Turkeys.

As much as I love my turkeys I’m getting soft. I swerved hard to avoid a opossum the other night. This thing was front tire and oil pan centered but I opted out. 

Agree 100% to low fur prices with nobody hunting coon or trapping.  Habitat or lack of is noted another huge factor. 

My area finally had a decent hatch and survival rate last year. We are seeing more turkeys this year than we have in quite awhile. It has just been year after year of wet springs for us. i thought last year was more of the same, but come the fall, we were seeing nick groups of hens and youngsters.

As for guys running hounds, it is a dying sport. You can't run coonhounds without trespassing. In the old days, you would just leave your gun, get in and get your dogs, and get back to where you could hunt. Now, with all the professional deer hunters, you put your dogs and sometimes yourself in danger. I gave all my coonhunting up before my dog got treed on someone's property and they got it in their head to go out and shoot him. I had a few dogs that were worth more than some of my vehicles, and lets just say, I wouldn't have taken it well. Times and traditions change, and I had to change with them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1