How many here have bought land just for hunting

Hunter007

NYS and taxes go together, cant have one without the other.Started out with a old mobile home on 31 acres, great hunting spot.

Decided to build a small cabin,  mistake, taxes tripled, for really no services other than plowing road.

If i had to do it over ,no building, just a nice travel or 5th wheel.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have 2 lots that I bought for hunting. Close to home and handy but taxes are high. High is relative. I pay almost 8k a year in taxes but have nearly 300acres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish our taxes were 8k for 300 acres we pay 7600 for 40 acres and a 1500 sq ft house. Can't wait to see what they get us for after our addition is done and the house is 3000 sq.ft.

Edited by chas0218

Frontage is big on determining taxes on vacant land. I've bought land for hunting and then built house on it. I wouldn't not build a building on it if it was just for hunting.  A trailer or shed on skids would be way to go.

As for what to look for . Number of neighbors and size of their properties. It's cheaper to buy a large parcel then a small one(per acre) 

Is there saleable timber on the piece. I helped a friend buy a piece after a quick cruise of the timber revealed 2x the asking price of said property. (He max out the credit cards, then logged piece and paid off cards in less than 90 days before huge intrest kicked in ) 

Water sources,  terrain,  does a farmer lease land ? All have factor in buying