If they introduced hog in the middle of the Adirondacks would they survive

Hunter007

38 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I somewhat have my doubts. Between the cold, snow, and probable lack of food, I don't think they'd survive or breed nearly as fast as they do in the south. I had a friend near Tully, NY (he's dead now), but he told me stories of hogs on trail cams and even had a picture of a hog someone had killed nearby, so they've been feral in some parts of NY for a while.  We have small bands of them in PA and NJ also, but nowhere near the nuicanse numbers they experience in Dixie & Texas. My un-educated theory is that we don't have the right type of environment for them to thrive and get out-of-control. 

If you look at where they are most on a map in this country  it is in the  warmer parts  of the country  hogs got introduce here first by the Spanish  about 400 years ago in Florida and since that time seems like they   just we're not able to spread throughout the whole USA .

Either because of climate or hunting or both maybe in colder climates between less food and less cover for them to hide from hunters  they have a tuff time spreading north. 

That is why i think claims of them getting out of country here like they do in the south are probably exaggerated. 

Between the weather and just more hunting and less places for them to hide I doubt they would spread like crazy like they do down south. 

I mean we already saw  the  ones that got introduced to the wild here by accident where easily eliminated  by DEC  already.

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

There are wild hogs in java. The few that were in Allegheny were shot by hunters. There are more in one of the catskill countys.. make no mistake they will survive and thrive here. They may lose one of their 3 litters a year if born in winter but ,hogs will enlarge a burrow from a fox coyote and live in it. Even a domestic hog will revert to hair and elongated skull in only 3 gen in the wild. They are not something you want here at all. Amish had 1 hog get out .. took 5 months to catch it. In the meantime it rooted up friends field and woods about 5 acres worth from 1 hog.. plus dec has no shooting ban on them.  To keep sounders from disbursing..

• Like 1

Just speculating since they have been here 400 years and not spread far north in  all that time  tells me they have tuff time in colder climates . Especially with human hunting. Maybe with out human hunting it would be a different story.  

Other  introduced species like the European  starling have spread over all north American in   only 100 years for example .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Yea I saw that before. 

But are they still out there or did they get them all 

Any  recent trail cam pictures

Around of them .

I haven't heard anything lately. I'll ask a few local farmers in peru I know and see what they say. I know DEC was taking the matter very seriously. Peru is known for it's apple orchards and cattle farmers then it eases into rolling hilltops and mountainous terrain. I would think once they hit the big woods. They'd be hard to corral like they were hoping.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Just speculating since they have been here 400 years and not spread far north in  all that time  tells me they have tuff time in colder climates . Especially with human hunting. Maybe with out human hunting it would be a different story.  

Other  introduced species like the European  starling have spread over all north American in   only 100 years for example .

They have been steadily moving north . Birds fly much greater range .hogs dont have to move out of an area until population demands it

Texas and floridia have a very high density fortunately the kill a lot down there. It thins as it goes north as they disperse. 

There is good reason they were banned from game farms in nys 

Edited by G-Man

Areas with extended periods of deep snow, low food value and abundance are hardships that only the properly developed can thrive in.  I would not think they would survive more than 2 hard winters but again they are adaptable.  

That said if they did get a hold in the ADK I would think they would be hard to remove with so much land available.  They are an extremely hardy animal that have thrived in the Americas since being introduced.   Besides the destruction they can cause disease would be another major concern of mine.  Hope that is one issue the ADK never has to deal with, the animal population is low and sightings are rare but at least they are native.