If they introduced hog in the middle of the Adirondacks would they survive

Hunter007

Just a hypothetical question 

If they introduced hog in the middle of the Adirondacks would they survive  .And if so 

do you think they could be managed  with hunting and trapping  to have very little environmental impact .

And yea I know  this will never happen . But could it work if it did ?

Anywhere they are hunted, they are very destructive. And almost impossible to get rid of. I wouldn't want to see them here.

That being said, hypothetically, yes, except for the high peaks in winter, I think they could survive in NY.

• Like 1

I've hunted them quit a few times and seen the damage a few pigs can do overnight to a food plot.Not even the outfitters like them and would rather have better deer,quail and turkey population then pigs.They eat everything the ADK's doesn't have much going on as far a nutritional food as it is.Releasing pigs up there would destroy what little is there.Then they'd head south and destroy that too.They'll survive there Russian boar.

I can not remember where I read it but in the late 1800s early 1900s some millionaire that owned one of those so called "great camps" attempted to establish several exotic big game species including Russian-European wild boars. It turned out to be a big failure because of the weather and terrain-habitat. It was not the temperatures it was the deep snows that did the boars in as their short legs made it too hard for them to navigate and they all died of starvation basically. About the same time another rich guy turned loose a bunch on the Cumberland plateau in Tennessee and they established a breeding population that are still carrying on today in them parts.

• Like 3

I would say they could survive......

That said, no way I want them here! As mentioned they are a highly invasive and destructive species, and breed worse then rabbits! They are also a nasty breed that kills for the hell of it, people think they have issues with coyotes? It's nothing compared to what the Eurasian Boars would cause.

This is the only thing our current Governor has even done I agree with:

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/96757.html

• Like 1

Yea they're  here already. Peru Ny in Clinton county it was confirmed a guy on an orchard or farm killed a big sow and DEC got upset cuz they wanted to live trap them. So now there scattered around Clinton county with a few siteings here and there. The evidence is the destruction they leave behind in farmers fields and anywhere they are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Yea they're  here already. Peru Ny in Clinton county it was confirmed a guy on an orchard or farm killed a big sow and DEC got upset cuz they wanted to live trap them. So now there scattered around Clinton county with a few siteings here and there. The evidence is the destruction they leave behind in farmers fields and anywhere they are.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/03/12/nyregion/feral-pigs-plaguing-upstate-new-york.html

Yea your right 

Can't find any recent sightings  up there .

Wondering if they  got them all .

Edited by Storm914

9 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Trusting the NYTimes is like using a sand blaster to wash your car. Uptown, is that you?

https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/19086/20120109/feral-hogs-invade-champlain-valley-adirondacks

https://www.essexonlakechamplain.com/feral-pigs-in-the-adirondacks/

I don't trust them it is on more then one news outlet 

Edited by Storm914

3 hours ago, Rob... said:

I would say they could survive......

That said, no way I want them here! As mentioned they are a highly invasive and destructive species, and breed worse then rabbits! They are also a nasty breed that kills for the hell of it, people think they have issues with coyotes? It's nothing compared to what the Eurasian Boars would cause.

This is the only thing our current Governor has even done I agree with:

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/96757.html

Storm, I guess you missed this one.

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Yea I saw that before. 

But are they still out there or did they get them all 

Any  recent trail cam pictures

Around of them .

Ask about trail cam pics of boars. It's really not that hard to ask a question. 

1 hour ago, Rob... said:

Ask about trail cam pics of boars. It's really not that hard to ask a question. 

Well really I wanted to know  if the could surviving the Big Woods in the Adirondacks .

With out depending on raiding the farmlands that border the park  up there.

Maybe  not since I have not seen anything about that .

Edited by Storm914

The fellow I referred to in the above post was named Litchfield, he had to have had some serious money. The place he built was near Tupper Lake and it is still in the family. Below is some info I found and a link that has photos of his castle.

Al

I may be able to give you some information on Litchfield Castle. Construction began on the castle in 1910, on the shore of Jenkins Pone, renamed Lake Madeline after Mr. Litchfield's wife. 600 Italian stone masons were contracted to construct the castle. The stone they used was native granite, quarried on the property, some 8,654 acres. It is built of stone, steel, and concrete, the floors are tile and marble. The walls vary from 3-6 feet in thickness. It is French medieval type arcitecture with two towers, each 3 stories in height. The exterior took about one year to build, while the 100 room interior required two more years.

When Mr. Litchfield first bought the property, he had been in the area on a summer trip. At the time he was a teenager. He purchased the land to develop "a game preserve equal to the finest Europe can provide". He fenced the park with a woven wire fence 8 feet high, and began importing exotic animals. Elk, moose, wild boar, fallow deer, jackrabbits, etc. All of which subsequently perished.

http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/litchfie.htm

• Like 2

I somewhat have my doubts. Between the cold, snow, and probable lack of food, I don't think they'd survive or breed nearly as fast as they do in the south. I had a friend near Tully, NY (he's dead now), but he told me stories of hogs on trail cams and even had a picture of a hog someone had killed nearby, so they've been feral in some parts of NY for a while.  We have small bands of them in PA and NJ also, but nowhere near the nuicanse numbers they experience in Dixie & Texas. My un-educated theory is that we don't have the right type of environment for them to thrive and get out-of-control. 

• Like 2