Opening week tactics

rachunter

Normally i turkey hunt the third week it's always been good for me in the southern zone,now i hunt up in the ADK's first three years where successful last year was a dud,so i'm going up for opening week can't change vacations so i'm going.There's 3 to 5" of snow with more on the way.I never turkey hunted in the snow and have no clue what to look for or where and how to set up? i went up last week to scout but it was almost impossible to get around and i didn't see any birds.What are some of the tactics that you guys/girls have used in snowy conditions? I've been google searching but not much out there.

BTW my brother saw a gobbler with a white bread here on long island yesterday he's going to try and get a picture of it.

Can't help with snow tactics....That ain't spring gobbler hunting..

Hopefully, by the opener there will be some reasonable spring weather and you can hunt birds as you normally do..

I hope so, because I am hunting Ontario next week for the opener  , April 25th  to the 30th....

• Like 3

The weather is really turning for the better after this next couple days, if there still snow you’ll have to find feed as I doubt there will be much breeding happening. The turkey rut is usually 3 weeks behind home at my camp in the adk’s. I generally save a tag for the 3rd week for an adk gobbler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm in the southern zone, northern Columbia county.  Haven't seen a single tom in the fields this week.  But been seeing a single hens by themselves in the same spots, telling me there laying/nesting. 

Supposed to be in the 50’s Saturday. Hopefully the nicer weather Spurs ( pun intended) the toms on.  

• Like 2