8 Year Anniversary Coming Up

Lawdwaz

Yes, this site was born after Empirehunting.com went away. I cant remember exactly what happened with that one, but i think it had something to do with the site owner just not having time for it anymore, so he let the domain run out. Most of the core group here came from there. It is kinda crazy to think its been 8 years already though.

This site is moderated pretty loosly, most of it is done by John, Eddie and myself. The mood around here goes through the same basic cycles every year for the most part, with a couple of flare ups here and there, but its not too bad overall. Anyone that thinks this site sucks or is out of control, probably hasnt spent much time in chat forums before. There are usually 3 basic ways they are moderated, one way is just letting it be a complete free for all, which doesnt usually work out very well, as they get out of hand in a hurry and most people leave and it dies a slow death. The second way is for all of the mods to have a heavy hand and throw the ban hammer around at the first sign of anything. Those sites die because they arent any fun. Then theres the way we do it, which is a good balance. Yeah sometimes things can get kinda crazy and go way over the line, but thats when topics get locked, etc.

Ive met a bunch of guys from here over the years, even a few that I tend to disagree with in the forums. I can say though, that I think theres only 1 that I didnt particularly care for, and I wont mention any names, though he isnt here anymore. The rest are a great bunch of people, and alot of fun to get together with.

I am going to try real hard to host a get together out at my place this summer, and whoever wants to show up is more than welcome.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yes, this site was born after Empirehunting.com went away. I cant remember exactly what happened with that one, but i think it had something to do with the site owner just not having time for it anymore, so he let the domain run out. Most of the core group here came from there. It is kinda crazy to think its been 8 years already though.

This site is moderated pretty loosly, most of it is done by John, Eddie and myself. The mood around here goes through the same basic cycles every year for the most part, with a couple of flare ups here and there, but its not too bad overall. Anyone that thinks this site sucks or is out of control, probably hasnt spent much time in chat forums before. There are usually 3 basic ways they are moderated, one way is just letting it be a complete free for all, which doesnt usually work out very well, as they get out of hand in a hurry and most people leave and it dies a slow death. The second way is for all of the mods to have a heavy hand and throw the ban hammer around at the first sign of anything. Those sites die because they arent any fun. Then theres the way we do it, which is a good balance. Yeah sometimes things can get kinda crazy and go way over the line, but thats when topics get locked, etc.

Ive met a bunch of guys from here over the years, even a few that I tend to disagree with in the forums. I can say though, that I think theres only 1 that I didnt particularly care for, and I wont mention any names, though he isnt here anymore. The rest are a great bunch of people, and alot of fun to get together with.

I am going to try real hard to host a get together out at my place this summer, and whoever wants to show up is more than welcome.

Yep a great site been a member since June 2010.We have had only a few banned in all these years and the one that i rermember best tryed and did come back Funny it was

• Like 2

i vaguely remember Empirehunting.com as a neighboring property hunter posted his prized 120+" buck up there. I had a ton of encounters always with the intent of getting others on the deer but they couldn't seal the deal.  i wasn't ever a member though.  i know quite a few John recruited from the Realtree forums, including myself. They've gotten pretty slow, mostly i feel due to issues with hosting and software. had all kinds of problems with it.

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

You have a Ban Hammer?

Have ya ever used it ? Was it fun ? 

I would love that power lol

Edited by sodfather

I for one am on a few  forums(mostly hunting related) that I visit from time to time. I like this one because of all the different topics that come up. Some I could care less about and others I find quite interesting. I have also learned a thing or two and enjoy hearing how others do things and their opinions on things. When it seems to get out of hand I just take a break for a few days and come back later.

While some might not  agree I will continue to post my perspective on things I know about, things that are near & dear to my heart and hope I don't piss someone off in the process.

Still a great forum in my opinion.

• Like 1

I was another on that old site and have tried a few others. This one is my favorite and only regular stop. We all like to chat and share with folks that enjoy the same pursuits.

Like most everything else most of the folks are solid peeps and you always have a few dickheads.

The dickheads I ignore and the good folks I like to read what they have to share and what I can learn or share myself.

Lots of folks on here I would love to share a hunt, fish, meal or beer with.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Anyone that thinks this site sucks or is out of control, probably hasnt spent much time in chat forums before.

nail on the head right there.

i belong to a dozen or so. probably only active in a few. The car boards being the most fun. A few that are heavy handed are lame. Good for technical content, but slow traffic. The ones that are really loose are typically the older car forums where the make or model went away. Those that remained are just hanging on for the lolz. Heck one had a "post your wife/gf" thread that was epic for a long time. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Belo said:

nail on the head right there.

i belong to a dozen or so. probably only active in a few. The car boards being the most fun. A few that are heavy handed are lame. Good for technical content, but slow traffic. The ones that are really loose are typically the older car forums where the make or model went away. Those that remained are just hanging on for the lolz. Heck one had a "post your wife/gf" thread that was epic for a long time. 

I LOLd...I remember that thread. I totally forgot about it....if I remember right it got locked finally because it was crashing the site that thread got so long.

30 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Too much time on their hands

I moderated on one hunting board where an oft banned member would make several accounts and then post at-a-boys on threads he started. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

A GTG in Bristol is something I could definitely do! I built a couple of houses in that area 35 years ago. Mind if I camp in your driveway for the night?:drinks:

The biggest problem with these sites is people's inability to simply apologize when they've taken things too far. I've done so on a couple of occasions here, both gone too far and then later apologized. It happens. Criticize the post, not the poster. The particular post is right in front of you and you're allowed to disagree. But you don't know anything about the person who posted it, which makes personal attacks extremely petty.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, philoshop said:

A GTG in Bristol is something I could definitely do! I built a couple of houses in that area 35 years ago. Mind if I camp in your driveway for the night?:drinks:

The biggest problem with these sites is people's inability to simply apologize when they've taken things too far. I've done so on a couple of occasions here, both gone too far and then later apologized. It happens. Criticize the post, not the poster. The particular post is right in front of you and you're allowed to disagree. But you don't know anything about the person who posted it, which makes personal attacks extremely petty.

Sure thing, if you have a camper you can park it next to the barn and run power right to it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I just googled it and your a hour away, heck yeah nothing like a ny redneck party..

• Like 1