2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

Got to spot at 4:55 and already gobbling.  Gobbled about 100 times in the roost til 6 am then dead silent.  Had a raccoon come to about 6 feet from me and peak behind a tree. And saw 8 deer, and 5 of them circled me for 30 minutes.  Amazing no scent control and they were within 15 yards.  

Off to check deer stands.  

Heard two shots this morn around me.  

Congrats to everyone that tagged Today!!!

Got lucky this morning. Second year in a row I bagged a gobbler by sitting in the same chair in the same ground blind and waiting. Never saw or heard anything until 8:10 a.m. Then they got fired up I believe due to it warming up with the sun. He ran up to my decoys after a couple of short low calls. 9" beard, 1" spurs. Patience is not only a virtue, it is a producer.                                                        valoroutdoors.com                                

5-1-18 Opening Day.jpg

• Like 22

Turkeys 1  grampy 0........ Gobbles off the roost, silence when on the ground. Not many birds at all on our property this year. May go look elsewhere.  But a great day in the woods, playing hooky from work!

• Like 5

Ours went silent off the roost as well. Had one sound off between my buddy and I. I was sure he was on a rope towards my friend.....no dice ...neither of us saw him.

Did have a Bald Eagle cruze through....pretty awesome sight. It landed in a tall pine and the crows proceeded to dive bomb it for around 5 minutes before eventually being chased away.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Back at em. Another nice morning out. Wind and rain next few days so I’ll wait to take daughter out over the weekend.  Plus I’m not so sure about driving this farmers path after some good rain , I’ll get stuck. Good luck to all headed out. 

• Like 2

Ok , I’ve got a 150 yard walk from field edge through woods.  Leaves are loud and I of course boot 2 birds off the roost on way to my tree. Oopsy.  Play the normal game ? Wait longer before calling ? I’ve booted birds before but not exact spot I’m hunting. Darwin Award for the day goes to me. Ugh. 

• Like 2

Heard em gobbling only 200 yrds away... Unfortunately, I was still in bed. Only reason I heard em was I had my window open, and my dogs heard em too, and we're going nuts.  I went outside and listened to the music as I got camoed up and went across the street.  By the time I got to a spot to sit, they had flown down and started walking away.   Couldn't stay long as I had work to do.  

22 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Had him at 30 yards but he’s covered in hens.  No shot. His head was so white , blue and red.  Alls quiet now but what a gobble ! Don’t think it’s any I kicked off roost. 

sounds like the new ground is worthwhile!  cmon , couldnt slip those tight TSS loads in there.....  Lol . Go get em .  Hope you get another chance. I wont be back out til Sunday and Monday so relying on you to flop one. 

• Like 1