2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

On 5/6/2018 at 6:08 AM, turkeyfeathers said:

He’ll remember where you are late morning. Birds flew down. Sporadic gobbles. Can’t hear dude anymore. Mama fox in field Fired up the thermacell and my own thermacell after taco pizza last night. That outta wake her up 861b7afd1977a910e69f5edd449e3a90.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be a.guide!  Apparently your hunts are very exciting!  Lol

You gotta keep some of these pics for her to look back on.   The look you have here is "really.....we just got here" lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Is this classified as sleeping in the woods ? Her streak in jeopardy if not 1146ccf947bc0109601cd4f14494b3b5.jpg

Aaaa youth. The days when ya could nod out or wake in a blink!

That tri-pod looks sweet! I want one! What is it? 

Tapped out. First time not hearing gobbles on new dirt
I’d shoot this Jake because he’s so darn ugly and be doing him a favor. b792c98fb3822dda46b48448d04d1780.jpgf160c2e39d7ade06bb8b740d99d9a14c.jpg
Apparently we have 5 lil ones. No pics of mama yet yesterday showed pic of pup with squirrel or something and don’t think they’re hunting yet b8d475dc1fe12f24ae8de0f49cb273b5.jpg5703f30ffef22788936ca9476f972964.jpg
Peek a boo 96d737b88478204a3723a34eb85edcfc.jpg

• Like 2

I’m more curious about the flavor of the shake then the brass or Tri-pod!!!!!!

Tim Horton’s iced cappuccino. A definite drive thru stop condition for her to get up at 3. Apparently the caffeine does not keep her awake

Had birds gobbling on the roost from 5:15 to 5:50 and one lone gobble at 6, but now nothing. I think they answered my tree yelps once, but won’t answer now. This is getting frustrating now. Hoping those gobblers will swing by later the morning

25 minutes ago, E J said:

Me and a different buddy are hunting this morning. Just had three jake's in tight. A long beard is out there answering but hasn't come our way

Gotta beat the feeling to overcall and keep the volume down.  He may come silent   Id run some soft sweet loving purrs every 20 minutes with a simple cluck or two now and then. 

Couldn't go to.favorite spot this morn.   My ex BIL is hunting there .  That's ok. Went to close spot on land lease .so far had to move from first spot cause 2 coyotes been flanking me all morn.. Saw a deer in this spot at 15 yards. But no gobbles even.   Give it an hour or so and might have some breakfast and see what the lake has to offer.  

rps20180513_071630.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

If it sounded good it was a hunter. The worst calling is usually hens. But can usually tell the weekend warrior hammering the box call at 120 decibels every 3 minutes. 

Think your right.  Heard it twice now a ways over. Not on our land.

And hey I resemble that remark!  Lol.  Except i wait at least 4 minutes.  Well the coyotes liked it.  

• Like 1

Wife informed me I have to take her to breakfast. Then she's heading to her mom's.  I'm thinking I should go look for some morells and leeks.  And while I'm at it I might as well bring the shotgun and a couple mouth calls.  Might catch a long beard looking for love. 

• Like 3

Tagged out. I know where these birds roost. The last three hunts I was I tight to them but still flew down and walked off with the hen. I heard these birds fly up last night do I knew pretty well where they were. I snuck in this morning closer and had birds on three sides of me. I Yelp, they would gobble. The hen would Yelp, they would gobble. But when this tonight flew down he came straight to my calling. Then he spotted my Jake and hen and that sealed the deal. 21lbs. 1" spurs and a 8 3/4" beard. You never know what's going to happen. Now it's walleye time. Good luck to you guys. Keep hunting.

IMG_20180513_070249400.jpg

IMG_20180513_063206512.jpg

IMG_20180513_130654.jpg

• Like 17

Went looking for morells and dig up some leeks late in the morning. The leek patch is near a field the birds like to hang out in.  Few soft clucks, and a tom double gobbled only 100 yrds away. I clucked and purred softly one more time and shut up.   Next time he gobbled, he was on the other side of the field.  Snuck a peek to see him walking slowly away.  Think he's the same tom my cousin missed twice in the same field.  Might have to ambush him as I don't think he's going to come to any calls.