2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

4 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I still believe that turkey do not exist in NYS but these guys keep proving me wrong (unless they are really hunting elsewhere in claiming to be in NY - hmmmmm).

boy do they have you fooled! their actually trophy guinea hens. ....now you know.

• Like 1

930 AM .  After a short series of  glass & slate pot calling ,this guy came in from behind my hut  following  along a creek bed looking for a spot to cross  to check out a hen decoy in the field.   No gobbles, pretty much silent .  I kept hearing   drumming which made me look out the rear window, surprised the hell outta me to see him full strut at 15 yrds in the timber.  10+ in beard,  1" spurs.

IMG_5535.jpg

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, mjac said:

930 AM .  After a short series of  glass & slate pot calling ,this guy came in from behind my hut  following  along a creek bed looking for a spot to cross  to check out a hen decoy in the field.   No gobbles, pretty much silent .  I kept hearing   drumming which made me look out the rear window, surprised the hell outta me to see him full strut at 15 yrds in the timber.  10+ in beard,  1" spurs.

IMG_5535.jpg

Nice bird and nice pic.  The ole silent strutter ! Congrats. 

IMG_5535.thumb.jpg.65976d70e14f05860ab438a4757aa21e.jpg

Awesome! Tell us about that shotgun it looks like something cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Awesome! Tell us about that shotgun it looks like something cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remington model 10? I think my cousin has the same one with adjustable choke. Which he didn’t pattern I learned so he’s toting my gun Friday. 

Edited by turkeyfeathers

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Remington model 10? I think my cousin has the same one with adjustable choke. Which he didn’t pattern I learned so he’s toting my gun Friday. 

It's my trusty 1961 J.C. Higgins 12ga  pump with factory  POWer-Pac  choke system . They are interchangeable  screw in choke tubes   There's actually  an air gap .  approx 1" between the barrel and the choke insert . Chambered jc_0.jpg.770f5ffd97e95fa5cc815b630c409968.jpg for 2 3/4 " shells only  but packs a punch.  Walnut stock & forend.  It;s known for having one of the smoothest actions of any pump. Push the pump release button with the gun at an upward angle and the action will slide all the way down without touching it ~  Dynamite turkey gun. 

s-l1000.jpg

Edited by mjac
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Bill Schmidt said:

Mjac-- The JC Higgins - 12 gauge ,Model 20. I have one. Never took a Turkey with it. After reading about what you wrote, I want to take it out at least once now that it is leafed out.

20180517_074958.jpg

Does yours have all the chokes ?   Long(  full ) , Medium (modified ) and short range (improved ). 

I have an extra full choke for turkey if interested..  I love this gun !

• Like 1

I went and "guided" my buddy's son.  He's 19 and getting back into hunting.  We got out at 4:30 and walked in on a roosted flock at the home farm.  3 toms and a bunch of hens in the flock.  I could also hear 3 other toms hammering on the roost.  I set him up behind a huge white pine and put an old decoy out 15 yards to his right.  I backed up 25 yards and got down behind another pine.  They were gobbling steady, but didn't hear them fly down. 

As soon as a tom gobbled on the ground, I gave them some soft talk on the old slate.  I could see a line of hens headed down the snow machine trail, so I shut up until they were out of sight.  I cut at them pretty aggressively and got them coming, then just scratched in the leaves.  A couple of two year olds came to investigate.  They were so busy trying to look for me behind the pine tree that they didn't even notice the decoy.  He shot the first bird at 27 paces and floored him.  His first regular season bird.  9" beard, 3/4" spurs.  I was surprised.  He only weighed 15.75 lbs.  Is that what happens to toms during the "turkey rut"?

He was pretty excited.  Birds were still gobbling to the south, so we took a run at them.  I called in a hen to less than 10 steps and she took off like a helicopter and that was the end of that setup.  

Sorry for the lack of pictures.  I have ordered a replacement digital camera from the Amazon.  

• Like 7

Well done, Zeb  !! Congrats to your young hunter...

Some gobblers are just smaller than others...I have seen a few 14-15  pound 2 year olds over the years..

The smallest was shot by a friend of mine...Weighed 12 pounds, had a 9" beard and 3/4" spurs...Seemed to be a perfectly healthy gobbler, just small...

On the other end of the spectrum, my ex wife shot a 23 pound slob that had an 8 " beard and 3/4" spurs...

Very likely a 2 year old bird....Possibly the Moog 5050  of the turkey world...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Well done, Zeb  !! Congrats to your young hunter...

Some gobblers are just smaller than others...I have seen a few 14-15  pound 2 year olds over the years..

The smallest was shot by a friend of mine...Weighed 12 pounds, had a 9" beard and 3/4" spurs...Seemed to be a perfectly healthy gobbler, just small...

On the other end of the spectrum, my ex wife shot a 23 pound slob that had an 8 " beard and 3/4" spurs...

Very likely a 2 year old bird....Possibly the Moog 5050  of the turkey world...

I was admittedly bigger than 23lbs at 2!

Edited by moog5050
  • Haha 2

Out with cousin today on 250 acres. We had bird almost in lap last week. Hope to get his first bird under the gun. He’s toting my turkey thumper today. It’s going to feel weird not carrying a gun Good luck to all headed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Alls quiet. Running and gunning hitting the crow call. Betcha this tree made some noise when in fell d952ed4c44308459c4e9238f6a032ceb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seems to be the big debate , if no one is around ...

• Like 1

I'll be following along today , woke up and found the wife passed out on the bathroom floor , apparently she's had a migraine all night and was sick a few times . Had to call in to work today so she doesnt have to watch our son in her condition .  

6 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'll be following along today , woke up and found the wife passed out on the bathroom floor , apparently she's had a migraine all night and was sick a few times . Had to call in to work today so she doesnt have to watch our son in her condition .  

She’s pregnant........!!

And hopefully feeling better today. 

Edited by Lawdwaz