2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

15 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Passed up a big strutter at 50yds this morning. Definitely didn't feel comfortable with the longbeard XRs at that range. Think I'm jumping aboard the TSS train next spring.

Xrs would have flattened him hard. 92 in 10” circle on splatter target at 65 around head / neck. Plywood target was on jumped and got smashed over. I don’t think tss would get you more range but being 7’s you get density of pattern and they’ll hit like 5’s   Go beat that bird again and tip him over. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Xrs would have flattened him hard. 92 in 10” circle on splatter target at 65 around head / neck. Plywood target was on jumped and got smashed over. I don’t think tss would get you more range but being 7’s you get density of pattern and they’ll hit like 5’s   Go beat that bird again and tip him over. 

I've really been turned off by the lack of penetration of these loads on the past couple of birds that I've taken with them, particularly on hits that are a little low. My buddy that I was hunting said the same thing about the bird he killed with XRs on monday. There was nothing between me and him but air. I've killed them farther with hevishot but just wasn't feeling good about it and didn't want to risk buggering him up. There's a trio of longbeards togetherI, the other two stayed just inside the timber with hens. Will try them again tomorrow. The wife will be up to bat. A double would be perfect...;)

• Like 2

My buddy and I were split up this morning because he overslept. It worked in his favor. He would have been with me if he had gotten up on time. I was nowhere near where the turkey's were and they ended up right in his lap. He got a decent Tom. 3/4" spurs 19.5 pounds probably 9" beard. There was a couple of hens and two Jake's in the flock as well.

• Like 7

Covered some ground to get to where we played a couple times with a bird. We should be close to his living room. Note  to self , remember to take Head not and gloves out of lower pants pocket before walking through wet high field.  Yup , soggy head net on. Ain’t the first time. Good luck boys n girls.  No roost gobbles yet , crows just started up. 

• Like 2