2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

Two yrs ago a friend of mine thumped a tom.  Within seconds of the shot, a fox grabbed it and started dragging it off.  He sat there stunned for a few seconds then ran at the fox and scared it off. 

Edited by mowin

On a well known NY fishing site a regular contributor reported that right after he shot his second  turkey of the year a coyote ran out and grabbed his turkey.  He was able to scare it off and got his bird.  They are very hungry this time of year.  I have seen shot turkeys move around after they have been down for a while, but never move in a coordinated way.  Too bad, sorry to hear.

No luck guys. Looked for every minute since I found out it was gone. Only took 3 10 min breaks. I think I walked a total of 5 miles looking for it. Huge lesson learned that’s for sure! I’m going to call deer search on last time and see if they can maybe help me out. If not I may head back out tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

No luck guys. Looked for every minute since I found out it was gone. Only took 3 10 min breaks. I think I walked a total of 5 miles looking for it. Huge lesson learned that’s for sure! I’m going to call deer search on last time and see if they can maybe help me out. If not I may head back out tomorrow morning.

If it’s 80 degrees there like here he’ll be past any fit for consumption I’d think. Thank you for looking so diligently. Sorry on you lost him. 

• Like 1

If it’s 80 degrees there like here he’ll be past any fit for consumption I’d think. Thank you for looking so diligently. Sorry on you lost him. 

I figured that a couple hours ago. Meat won’t last at 85 degrees. It’s just for closure at this point.

If he's mortally wounded he probably won't have made it all that far, but he will have crawled right into the nastiest piece of cover he can find. If there's multi-flora rose look right into the base of the biggest, thorniest bush out there. If there's a hollow log, look inside it. Try using binoculars to scan the thick stuff, even if it's only 10 feet in front of you. The narrow depth of field can help isolate things that would otherwise get lost in the clutter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Being a Deer Search member, I honestly never heard of a dog tracking turkeys. First, you need a little blood trail to get the dog started on the line. But I am in no way saying, the right dog could not help you!  I admire your search efforts so far. Still hoping somehow you will find him my friend.

• Like 1

goin out in am to my best spot with my proven setup and have at it in the morn!  got two more hunts in Sat and Sun morn.  Where im going there are still empty shells laying there from past successes,  hope to add one to it. 

Damn Turkeys are keeping me off the lake!  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Being a Deer Search member, I honestly never heard of a dog tracking turkeys. First, you need a little blood trail to get the dog started on the line. But I am in no way saying, the right dog could not help you!  I admire your search efforts so far. Still hoping somehow you will find him my friend.

Neither have I nor the deee search guy, but even he said it’s worth a try. There was plenty of blood on my pants and on the ground around. Although birds don’t have near as much blood as mammals do. If I’m lucky some predator will find it tomorrow and make a big enough mess for me to spot or some crows will give up its location to me.

• Like 1

Ok guys heres the story of what unfolded today. I got to the property I hunt at 4:48 and finished up my sandwich and drink. I decided to change it up and go to where theyve been roosting instead of going to my blind. I got to the tree I was thinking of and walked 20 yards to place my decoy out. I bumped a decent sized bird from the tree and hurried back to my tree. A few min after I hear some gobbles to my left and see a bird stand up in the tree directly infront of me about 40 yards out. I was sure it was a hen because I thought i saw a grey head, no beard and lack of gobbles. When it flew down to my right I saw that it had a beard and I decided to take it. It was moving from my right to directly in front of me but walking away. It was on the edge of my self imposed range, but I was comfortable taking the shot. When I shot it went right down and started flopping in its spot. A few min later it got up and started to run away so ran as fast as I could and stomped on its head. In the process I dropped my phone (camo cased) and pot call. Took me a little while to find both of them and in the mean time I did hear a branch snap in the direction where the bird was but figured it was flopping around.  The beard wasnt too big (about 8") but its spurs were pretty big. Turns out as you all know that was not the case. Still not sure what happened, but I'm hoping to figure it out next time I go.  Im happy I got aggressive and it worked out in that aspect, but I made some choices Ill never make again. From now on I run to the bird and don't let it out of my sight till I tie it up to a tree. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

May Tom , little Nicky , Taco Tim , Pygmy Lawdwaz?! Some of the usual turkey killers each spring. How ya doing ? 

Moog , you still have a few days , unload that bear gear and have at it. 

Easily the least days I've hunted since 1982.......I'll hunt Arcade in the morning for only the second time this spring.  Just don't have the fire in the belly....we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Tomorrow night wifey and I are meeting up with three other couples for dinner.  Not just any three couples; all three of the guys are 40+ year friends.  One guy, Jack, has been a buddy since 1968.  Love them all like brothers and their wives are the best too, all 25-30 year marriages. 

Depending on how things go at dinner, maybe I'll hunt Sunday too but no worries.  I've been blessed to kill more than my fair share of spring gobblers in my not so humble opinion.

Enough of the booze talking;  I'm gonna slam one at 5:30am tomorrow and notch the damned tag, PDQ.

• Like 6

Really want to go out, but I'm doing a pool fence tomorrow and Sunday.   I know if I get up tomorrow morning or Sunday morning, the fence won't get done.  

Monday.   The smoker will be fired up. I need stick burner therapy.  Lol.

• Like 1

Made it out this morning for only my 3rd time of the year.  Heard one way off, but hopefully it picks up. Man these skeeters are thick right now. 

Edited by J.B.
  • Like 1

Wanted to go today, but too much on the plate. Grandsons baseball tournament, trying to get bass boat ready, and yard work will fill up this day. But "hoping" to get out one last time tomorrow. 

Congrats to all who were successful. Best of luck to all still trying. 

Wanted to go today, but too much on the plate. Grandsons baseball tournament, trying to get bass boat ready, and yard work will fill up this day. But "hoping" to get out one last time tomorrow. 
Congrats to all who were successful. Best of luck to all still trying. 

Where’s the tourney Grampy? Local or a big one? I’m in Bergen, NJ with a 13u program. We won a BIG one in game 1...5 more (yeah- I said 5!?! Borderline child abuse!) to grab a trophy!
Sorry for the hijack!