2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

I got out today, should have been a perfect morning, i got 1 to gobble at 5:15 to a crow call. He didn't gobble much, I felt he wasn't a "hot" one? Had a buck come in behind me and started snorting, he probably snorted 10-15 times, I never heard that bird again! I did a big circle through the property , checked all the fields, never heard another bird. Called it at 10 as I got "stuff" to do. Hopefully get out tomorrow or Monday morning. I already put in for the 30 and 31 off from work. I won't quit till the proverbial fat lady signs!

• Like 3

Got one on state land in CT for the close. Got in at 5 and had one gobbling where i killed one may 4th. Set up within 15 feet of the tree i shot first bird at.

get all set and put a jake and feeding hen out quietly. Few mins later heard some light yelps from 30-40 yards. I ended up sitting in the middle of a 7 bird roost, only 3 gobblers. 

Luckily, after a few yelps my woodhaven crystal, a gobbler pitched down to 30 yards, strutted 3 times along with coming closer. Pulled the trigger at 20 yards. 5:43am I was picking the bird up. Struck 2 hot birds on way out but it was getting warm and its a long hike out uphill. 

Im done for the season i think. No NY birds this season but 2 CT birds. Happy with what I got. 

Also, the patternmaster code black turkey choke in my SBEII absolutely annhilated this tom. Had blood dripping all over the back of my pants from carrying him back. The carry sack of my vest was pooled when i got back to truck. Highly recommend the choke, it shoots tight out to 50 yards.

Edited by whaler
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bill Schmidt said:

. Forgot callers. Yelping and cutting on a green pen tube. Working good!

They have a new invention for turkey hunters; it's called a vest.  They work amazingly well for keeping all your accoutrements in one place so you don't have any excuses......... :)

BTW, I didn't have a pen in my vest yesterday.  I think I had everything else in there though. 

26 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I think we might be hunting the same spot.  Nothing.  

Local fire dept siren going off and a dog howling with it.  Lol.  But not a turkey peep, not even in the distance

That is pretty much the story of my entire season....Reminds me of the 1960s Rachel Carson book " Silent Spring"....

11 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

That is pretty much the story of my entire season....Reminds me of the 1960s Rachel Carson book " Silent Spring"....

This has been my slowest year in a long time.  Opening morning had some roost gobbles and one come in behind me.  Then havent hardly heard a gobble since.  Had one come in silent about 70 yards out on a dead run across the field a week ago.   

But my usual turkeys haunts have been so quiet.  My best spot in the last 5years haven't hardly been there without roost gobbles has been so dead .  Sitting here this morning and haven't even heard anything around me either.   This is probably my last sit for the year.   

Never saw a hen all season.  Usual see them walking the field edges or trails where I hunt almost every time out in past years. Dunno.  

9 minutes ago, mowin said:

TF, 

It so cool and damp I had to close the windows and turn the heat on.  

I feel like you look in that pic. 

Where are you?

88 and and my knuts are stuck to the chair.............humid as all get out here in Amherst.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Where are you?

88 and and my knuts are stuck to the chair.............humid as all get out here in Amherst.

Columbia county. Near the mass border. 

Rained most of the day. Only 60* 

• Like 1

It’s gotta be 100 with 90% humidity in golf dome today and dumb arses still want to hit balls. I do warn them ahead of time they’ll be at their ideal wrestling weight after hitting a large bucket in there.  Just reloaded the thermacell for tomorrow . Might be a bit buggy. 

• Like 2