2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

Got in on the three tough birds i cant seem to kill. Got in close, maybe too close, sat a little later than i hoped, 5:10. Moon brightened everything. They were fired up and they had a hen with them. Right around 5:20 they shut up. Besides the hen talking a little it was crickets. I only gave one tree yelp series on a crystal slate. I looked out in a clearing around 6AM and see a dark blob, great I think, they pitched out silently and i didnt spook them. Turns out it was a sow and 3 cubs. 

I only got within 70 yards before i realized and boogied out of there. Never encountered one with cubs but I didnt want to find out any resulting encounter.

I then moved up a little and the hen and i believe 1 gobbler pitched down and moved off pretty quick. There was a bird (s) hammering about 200 yds away and so i put the sneak on them. Gave some yelps and i see them basically running away. 

Got on them again about 300 yards away and they did the same thing, gobbled, strutted, then basically bolted. 

Extremely skittish birds. Maybe the bears had something to do with their behavoir but it was likely me just getting too close and calling. They know my tricks. It was a good season but Im eating NY tag soup. Looking forward to May 1 next season and setting up on these birds again. Hope everyone had an enjoyable season as well. 

• Like 3

I heard a few roost gobbles...Seems the bird I was hunting was roosting on the neighbors this morning...

The fat lady sang, and I was there at noon to listen to her...This is only the 3rd season  since 1975 that I have not killed a gobbler in NY, and  the other 2 seasons I could have killed some jakes...Only had one gobbler in range and things did not work out right...

No shots fired...No hits, no swings, no errors....Glad the season is over, so I can get some fishing in...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I heard a few roost gobbles...Seems the bird I was hunting was roosting on the neighbors this morning...

The fat lady sang, and I was there at noon to listen to her...This is only the 3rd season  since 1975 that I have not killed a gobbler in NY, and  the other 2 seasons I could have killed some jakes...Only had one gobbler in range and things did not work out right...

No shots fired...No hits, no swings, no errors....Glad the season is over, so I can get some fishing in...

At least you were in the game.  As you know, you can go from zero to hero in 30 seconds!!

NEXT year will be a banner year.......

5 hours ago, mowin said:

Lying in bed and listening to turkeys gobbling.  Haven't heard or seen one around the house since around the first week of the season. They know that there safe. Lol

I am with you.  Heard my first bird all year this morning at 11am while building a blind for deer season.   Those birds just love to mock me.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Friend scored a few cases of these and selling me a bunch. Got em cheap too. They patterned better in my 12 than the new version tss. Maybe someday daughter can shoot one lol. e8cceb4f7b8811c5757865c24d21ebff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, you actually buy new ammo for hunting turkey.  I have had the same ammo for 4 years now.  lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Wait, you actually buy new ammo for hunting turkey.  I have had the same ammo for 4 years now.  lol

Doesnt sound crazy to me. I usually shoot until they stop flopping around. Not unusual to reload 2 times. All said and done 9 shells. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, whaler said:

Doesnt sound crazy to me. I usually shoot until they stop flopping around. Not unusual to reload 2 times. All said and done 9 shells. 

I could hunt turkey the next 25yrs and pretty sure my one box of shells will last!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I could hunt turkey the next 25yrs and pretty sure my one box of shells will last!

The way turkey hunting has gone for me lately, no need for new ammo purchases on my end either!

And moog, hope you don't continue to save ammo on coyotes too!  With that new fancy rig!!  Let Em Rip!

• Like 2

Friend scored a few cases of these and selling me a bunch. Got em cheap too. They patterned better in my 12 than the new version tss. Maybe someday daughter can shoot one lol. e8cceb4f7b8811c5757865c24d21ebff.jpg&key=8a6046ef8b52f059edf64fefa39747bd3e0453b1f8a15dbf44154c71cff4dc26

Nice! I prefer the 7's, but had to use the 6's in Maine this year due to the laws there. They hit like a truck. I thought about buying a few boxes from Roberts after they grabbed up all the remaining stock, but I think I will just start handloading TSS after my HW 7's run out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice! I prefer the 7's, but had to use the 6's in Maine this year due to the laws there. They hit like a truck. I thought about buying a few boxes from Roberts after they grabbed up all the remaining stock, but I think I will just start handloading TSS after my HW 7's run out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Did you also like the old heavyweight versus the new replacement tss ? Pattern was tighter and no gaps with the old I thought. The new are great too but did see a little difference on paper. No experience with the 20 loads on birds yet but one of the 2 birds this year ( 30 yards ) barely flopped The other at 18 was XR 5’s And was equally dead I’m curious what a 3.5” load of 9’s ( although illegal in ny ) would look like on a splatter turkey target.