2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

So here’s the low down on the hunt. 

We got into our blind before light and got the decoys set. We settled in and waited to hear some gobbling. Right at first light the toms started sounding off on the roost. The first ones we heard were a couple hundred yards to our left. A minute later, more from the right. After a bit we heard a third group a little further away almost directly ahead. I did Some light calling a few times and got responses. After a while you could tell they had gotten off the roost. 

We could hear the birds getting closer from both sides. I saw Some hens starting to come out from the brush about 150 yards to our right. At this point Haley was sleeping so I woke Her up and told her to start getting ready. As she started getting situated, a big tom walked out and started strutting. Not far behind, a second tom stepped out and began strutting and gobbling. The first tom followed the 5 or 6 hens around in the field about 100 yards out as the second locked onto our decoys and walked slowly down the field edge toward them. The first tom then locked on the decoys and they both began coming in faster. I told Haley to get her gun up and ready, they were coming fast. The first tom got to the decoys and started attacking the Jake decoy. I kept Telling Haley to shoot but she couldn’t get on him. Just then the second tom ran over and pushed the first tom off of the decoy and began attacking it. The two toms then squared off and Haley pulled the trigger on the first, and biggest tom. She shot right over him and hit his fan. It got crazy in the blind as we had to move to get her on the second tom, which hadn’t run. She got on him and pulled the trigger. I could See he was hit hard as he ran off then flew up, circled out into the field and crashed. He ran around in circles for a couple of minutes and we waited for him to go down. Once he laid down, we walked over and she finished him with a follow up shot. Hugs, kisses, fist bumps and pictures ensued. 

When we got home we setup the video camera to see what footage I had  I got The whole thing up to right after the miss. I never Got the kill shot, but the footage is super cool. I’ll post it once it’s up on YouTube. 

• Like 13

We tapped out.  Off to ballet ( her not me ) Only gobbles on roost off in a distance. We’re both a no go for tomorrow   Still great to get out in the woods with her. Her first bird awaits , one of these days.  

Congrats to all the youths and mentors   Not just for getting a bird but the experience that comes with listening to the woods wake up. We’re all successful in that aspect. 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Video of most of the hunt. I hit The button by accident after the first shot and wasn’t recording the kill. What can I say, I’m an amateur lol

That was fantastic.  And trust me, your video skills are a lot better than mine. Lol

• Like 2

Wife informed me that since we can't go out to breakfast tomorrow, I've got to take her to dinner so no roosting this evening.  Guess Kayden and I will be going in blind tomorrow morning.  

Tried telling her we'll have one flopping before she gets out of bed, so there's plenty of time for breakfast.  She didn't buy it.  

Edited by mowin
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, reeltime said:

we put 7 longbeards, 3 jakes, 6 hens to bed last night.   gonna see if we can get Gavin a bird first then take Addison after that. would like to take them both at the same time but having a 9 and 11 yr. old in the blind is like having 2 wet cats in a burlap bag. lol.   bring on the PA youth hunt!

Good luck everyone!!!

for the internet game wardens where we were hunting was clarified before I ever left camp. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, reeltime said:

for the internet game wardens where we were hunting was clarified before I ever left camp. 

Don't worry about them. You took two youths out, in PA, and got them both birds at separate times. Congrats on more or less a double.