2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

I have a local flock pinned down but decided to let them go, I’d rather have more birds next year than a chance at killing one this year. Darn good late season spot too, it had more birds each day over the last week. 

Had a good season, plenty of gobbles and birds and took a jake with a buddy. 

Tonight a neighbor stopped by with a box of turkey stuff for my boy, the guy that he got it from is 85 and done hunting so he wanted to pass it on to a young guy. Damn nice gesture and the calls are somewhat unique and sound real good. 

• Like 3

I got out this morning and had 1 gobble as i was walking up the hill. 4:58am! I got in close and there were 2 adults roosted, I could see them at about 60 yds. They were gobbling a lot! 1st one pitched out and across the road and instantly started gobbling, the other stayed on the roost for over an hour. I think he was waiting for the hen to show up (me) eventually he pitched out to across the road so I booked down to the edge of the road. I could see them in the large field so I called aggressively and got the hens cranked up, but the hens lead them all away. They were gobbling right up till 7am! went back to the roost site at 9:30 and sat till noon never heard another bird. I will probably go back on Wednesday, I cleared a lane to right under the SOB's roost tree. I'm going to get in close and not even call, I want to see what they do if I don't try to "work" them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Talk to me. Who’s out there ? Nice morning from the porch drinking  coffee. Song birds started very early. 

Got a couple birds....on the golf course this morning. Your daughter always looks soo relaxed on stand...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Talk to me. Who’s out there ? Nice morning from the porch drinking  coffee. Song birds started very early. 

I'm still out there the next two mornings....Finally have some gobbling....Got two more days to work on him....

On 5/28/2018 at 5:12 PM, Pygmy said:

I heard my first gobbler on the property this morning since Moog hunted with me...

Perhaps the jinx is wearing off...I still have 3 more mornings....

I hope he didn't jinx the whole province of Quebec for bear hunting while he was there....<<sigh>>….

Too late!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

You want me to drive out and shut them down?  Lol

I'd love to see you most anytime, My friend, but if you show up here prior to June  first, I'll shoot the tires off that sissy truck of yours......Hehehehe….

• Haha 1

I was out till about 8:30 this morning. It was frikin hot! I didn't see or hear anything. My heart says hit the woods in the AM, my brain says sit in front of the fan. Setting the alarm for tomorrow. We shall see if my head or my heart wins the battle when that alarm goes off at 3AM.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Getting my moneys worth this season...#2 down @11:00. What a rough/grueling season!!5b0f1eedb6036_100_0305(2).thumb.JPG.4d3e78f8511903efa6c12dc5820dcf87.JPG

Excellent job. Way to stick it out. I've had season's where I hunted to the last weekend. It gets tough. Good job nice bird.

Well im obviously done for the season.  I was hoping that I was going to go out today, but I thought i was supposed to take a make up organic chemistry exam (professor cancelled at 9am this morning). I did head on last saturday to look for the bird one last time and maybe get on another one. I did set up about 60 yards from another tom and some hens that flew down. He was very big, but was not interested in my calling at all. Heard 3 seperate gobblers with in 200 yards, so Its looking good for next year at least. I did see some very interesting things, one of which was a huge snapping turtle in the middle of the woods and a salamander (or newt) on a trail as well. Not my best season, but I do have to count this season as a success, becuase I did shoot one and only lost it because I wasnt paying attention to it. I also learned more this season than any other season prior. Next year Ill be going all out to tag out with my new knowledge. Thanks for all the support guys! 

• Like 2

Alarm set for 5:30 to wake kid and push her out the door for school. Tempted to head out just to listen but I’ll pass. Good luck to everyone headed out for the last day. Post up and let us know how it’s going. Nothing better than a tag punched on the last day 

• Like 1

Alarm set for 5:30 to wake kid and push her out the door for school. Tempted to head out just to listen but I’ll pass. Good luck to everyone headed out for the last day. Post up and let us know how it’s going. Nothing better than a tag punched on the last day 

We know a thing or two about that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Went to Farmersville yesterday got right in early where they have been roosting, nothing, never heard a gobble! Hunted till noon never found them. I'm in my blind on a field in Little Valley hopefully they will come. It's raining already and the wind is blowing15-20 mph! Still better than work! 

1527761480678-100315849.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Went to Farmersville yesterday got right in early where they have been roosting, nothing, never heard a gobble! Hunted till noon never found them. I'm in my blind on a field in Little Valley hopefully they will come. It's raining already and the wind is blowing15-20 mph! Still better than work! 

1527761480678-100315849.jpg

Well heck, there’s two in front of you now!!!!!