2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

What a beautiful morning. Crisp... Ok.. cold, clear morning. Little wind and 4-5 toms gobbling on roost only 80 yrds away.  Had to be 8 or more across the street gobbling constantly. Assuming some of those were Jake's.  Probably heard over 100 gobbles. Kayden was shaking with excitement.  Unfortunately, the toms and hens flew into the field well out of range, and totally ignored the deeks and my calls.  Eventually they walked out of sight.  We hurried over to the other side of the road, but the birds had worked there way onto posted property and kept on going.  

Really looking forward to May 1st. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 2

Not a single gobble from the trees today. Totally weird. Then about 8am we heard a gobble in our field. We couldn’t see the bird cuz of the terrain. He walked back into the woods. He wasn’t interested at all. Going to sit a few more hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not so "live" anymore, lol but firgured its the best place to put it.. My step son went with his dad. It was a first ever turkey hunt for both of them.. Saturday he missed a nice tom, but yesterday he got back at them and took his first.. a Jake! He was beyond pumped.  Glad he made it out!

IMG953152.jpg

• Like 18

On 4/21/2018 at 7:50 AM, bigpaul said:

Sorry your not hunting.  Great picture, I can smell the gunpowder burning!

Was hoping for some good pics here.. Wanted the rest of the property over the ridge in the background, along with some strutters up front. Well I am satisfied with this! lol 

Got a tip from a buddy on some possible dirt. Got permission and heard owner likes Redds Apple cider so dropped off a case other day. Out here now , crow call and binocs. Alls quiet so far. Nice piece of property. Cmon gobbles !  Got one hitting my crow call , deer everywhere back here. Found this on the way in. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39736243-3C6F-4BAF-9BD4-A20FCD5B0925.jpeg

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 8

I am out for my first listen of the season this morning. Two gobblers are gobbling in two different spots. One quite a bit more than the other, both from the usual places they roost. My curiosity has been satisfied soI'm headed back in to get ready for work. I think I have a first timer coming with me opening morning so hopefully both of them hang out for a few more days.

Edited by E J
  • Like 1

This morning I was taking the dogs out and heard a couple of gobblers firing off right behind our barn and pond area. Im guessing they are hanging around because of our turkeys down in the barn. I figure next week Ill have to spend a couple of hours back there to see if I can catch them hanging around again.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

This morning I was taking the dogs out and heard a couple of gobblers firing off right behind our barn and pond area. Im guessing they are hanging around because of our turkeys down in the barn. I figure next week Ill have to spend a couple of hours back there to see if I can catch them hanging around again.

Need me to sit “ shotgun?”    

• Like 2

put some turkeys to bed tonight.  first flock had 19, 6 hens, 13 jakes and toms.  second flock had 10, 7 hens, 3 toms.  the 2 flocks were a half a mile apart. watched the flock of 10 fly up.  the 7 hens flew up between 7:52 and 7:59. the toms flew up 8:00 to 8:02.  the flock of 10 did no gobbling on their own.  the flock of 19 gobbled about 20 times from 7:50 to 8:17.  at 8:20 made both flocks gobble by coyote howl. 

• Like 1