2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

Checkmate!
2 gobblers entered , only one left Not the one I missed other day. I think other was. Took the clear shot and they were getting close and spooky. 891bed5643ac5c573dfe0297d72d4f38.jpg&key=04a9231f4602f309bd6bec45a69b048f79f764d9a17a4cd77c421e138365dba0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! I knew you were slow playing us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Nice bird Turkeyfeathers. 

Looking like some rain tomorrow but maybe ok for the early flydown???

That river looks a little wide for a bird to willingly come across if he's got hens on his side. But thats my opinion. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

looks like a sat morning wash out here......:negative:

Here too but spent another vacation day.Throwing the pop up blind up in morning for daughter and I. Scoped out old logging trail today. She can hunt til 10 as has ballet. I killed that bird today calling 15 yards from where I shot tree Tuesday.  Blind will be right there too. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Here too but spent another vacation day.Throwing the pop up blind up in morning for daughter and I. Scoped out old logging trail today. She can hunt til 10 as has ballet. I killed that bird today calling 15 yards from where I shot tree Tuesday.  Blind will be right there too. 

how is turk action in the rain?  I usually dont go, but i do have a blind and the itch to go. But i really hate hunting in a blind.  

Good luck - hoping to see a 24 hour double!  

12 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

how is turk action in the rain?  I usually dont go, but i do have a blind and the itch to go. But i really hate hunting in a blind.  

Good luck - hoping to see a 24 hour double!  

Birds have tendency to shut down some in rain and wind. They can’t hear as well for predatory senses. I’ve killed birds in the rain , wind neither of us like.  Got a big pine  tree you could sit under ? Snip a few low branches.  Running a box call ? Chalk will absorb moisture quick so put in gallon sized baggie and can still run it. Take scotch brite pads to condition slates over and over. Best would be glass or mouth call. During rain watch fields , they’ll rely on eyesight more than hearing and will hit fields to shake off. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Checkmate!
2 gobblers entered , only one left Not the one I missed other day. I think other was. Took the clear shot and they were getting close and spooky. 891bed5643ac5c573dfe0297d72d4f38.jpg

Congratulations on the bird. Need to top off the day with a frosty brew at Yelling Goat...oh wait...maybe not just yet.

Birds have been vocal lately, ground talk after fly down   Hunted Tuesday Thursday, Friday. Worked birds to gun range all 3. Lousy spring has them hot right now. Next week or so should be even better. Give me overcast , cold and light winds every day. Woods are starting to show signs of filling out   The last week it’s on. 

Good morning for me. Didn't get the kill but had a lone jake come in silent. He tooled around at about 40 yds for a while then strolled off. Man I forgot how hard your heart beats when they come in. I needed him to come another 25yds for me to have taken the shot with the bow.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Good morning for me. Didn't get the kill but had a lone jake come in silent. He tooled around at about 40 yds for a while then strolled off. Man I forgot how hard your heart beats when they come in. I needed him to come another 25yds for me to have taken the shot with the bow.

Yup , that heart beating feeling never gets old. Once again today I had to tell myself relax on grip pressure with the striker for the slate call. When those feelings go away I’ll quit hunting birds. No better rush ! No hunt is the same but the Adrenalin , the holy crud feeling is always the same. 

Yup , that heart beating feeling never gets old. Once again today I had to tell myself relax on grip pressure with the striker for the slate call. When those feelings go away I’ll quit hunting birds. No better rush ! No hunt is the same but the Adrenalin , the holy crud feeling is always the same. 
Yep.
I need to find a way to over the gag reflex I have with mouth calls. I may have gotten him to come that 25yds if I could have made a few more calls. But, with the bow, once I had eyes on him, the call was set down, bow in position, and release on the loop.
I only have two arms. LOL

Sitting here by the fire, and I can here a tom quite a ways away gobbling his head off.   

Live near Lebanon valley speedway, and someone has rented the track.  Everytime the engine revs, or the tires squeal, he gobbles.  Unfortunately he's way far away from where I can hunt.  

But sitting here with a campfire, and listened to gobbling.  Win.. just wish I couldn't here the valley speedway. 

Hence why our place is on the market.