2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

17 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Got a 2yr old this morning in the Adirondacks, tagged out. Had to really work for them this year but I accomplished my goal of killing 2 birds with the bow with no blinds and no calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! Thats tough. You have to have everything in order to take a mature tom with a bow and no blind. Impressive for sure.

Congrats! Thats tough. You have to have everything in order to take a mature tom with a bow and no blind. Impressive for sure.

I’ve hunted 19 days and probably walked 200miles doing it. Had toms in range 23 times, drew the bow back 14. I have been really bored of turkey hunting the last few years, this year wasn’t boring at all, don’t know if I’ll ever try to get 2 with the bow again. It really cut into my fishing, I’m glad this turkey season is over.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’ve hunted 19 days and probably walked 200miles doing it. Had toms in range 23 times, drew the bow back 14. I have been really bored of turkey hunting the last few years, this year wasn’t boring at all, don’t know if I’ll ever try to get 2 with the bow again. It really cut into my fishing, I’m glad this turkey season is over.

Congratulations! Two with the bow. in one season, is something not too many accomplish! Tip O' the hat to you sir!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Hah, now youre just bragging!

i think my favorite part of turkey hunting is the early morning woods waking up. Trying to make a plan and executing it is fun. Ive shot a few birds with the bow and no blind and it is tough work. 

I think totting the shotgun and doing some walking is all good with me, find some sheds, some morels. Good days in the woods. 

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Congrats Marine, mission accomplished!

• Like 1

Upon sitting I tried purrs and clucks , lost hen and convinced myself I was the lost hen , Yelp gobble , cutting   Seldom called but threw what I had out there. Not a peep. I had every crow for miles riled up covering a lot of ground. Some days they talk but others they don’t 

Hah, now youre just bragging!
i think my favorite part of turkey hunting is the early morning woods waking up. Trying to make a plan and executing it is fun. Ive shot a few birds with the bow and no blind and it is tough work. 
I think totting the shotgun and doing some walking is all good with me, find some sheds, some morels. Good days in the woods. 

My favorite part of turkey hunting is sneaking up close enough to hear them breath! My two birds this year combined were probably 11yd shot.

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Got a 2yr old this morning in the Adirondacks, tagged out. Had to really work for them this year but I accomplished my goal of killing 2 birds with the bow with no blinds and no calls.

That’s awesome!   Well done.  

• Like 1

Buddy is in Ohio this morning. He bought stock in avian decoys apparently. He’s currently working a bird. Videos all his hunts which is pretty cool. Neat chick fight video of hen n deke other day. 15cf0c44bed43ebdd1c2f76355057212.jpg

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 3

Well I have some terrible news. I went back to look for something I dropped after I shot and when I went back my turkey was gone. I’m not sure if it got up and ran or something took it. I did stomp it’s head after I got to it. Does anyone know of any tracking dogs close to the 3j area. I’ve never had this happen before

• Sad 3

17 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Well I have some terrible news. I went back to look for something I dropped after I shot and when I went back my turkey was gone. I’m not sure if it got up and ran or something took it. I did stomp it’s head after I got to it. Does anyone know of any tracking dogs close to the 3j area. I’ve never had this happen before

Wow, is putting it mildly on this story!!  Do you see footprints of humans or predators close to where you had left the bird?

13 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Sure you looked in the right spot ? Could have gotten mixed up in the excitement. Think it was dead ? There’s no tracking dog like help.  I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of this happening.  Sucks.  FYI don’t need to do a head stomp , head stand as he flaps out for a few seconds works. I always do the jump up after the shot , run like a fat kid to free donuts , stand on his noggin for awhile but usually its not needed as I tend to hammer them pretty good.  Became part of the hunt 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Sure you looked in the right spot ? Could have gotten mixed up in the excitement. Think it was dead ? There’s no tracking dog like help.  I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of this happening.  Sucks.  FYI don’t need to do a head stomp , head stand as he flaps out for a few seconds works. I always do the jump up after the shot , run like a fat kid to free donuts , stand on his noggin for awhile but usually its not needed as I tend to hammer them pretty good.  Became part of the hunt 

They are tenacious for sure.  I've had a couple lay still for a good while and then start flopping around.  Luckily I was next to them and able to wrestle them down.  If they do get up and run off I don't they will ever be found.  They are not like deer where you can track and possibly make a follow up shot.

Wow, is putting it mildly on this story!!  Do you see footprints of humans or predators close to where you had left the bird?

No tracks of any kind. It’s definitely the spot I stomped it’s head. I’m doubting that it was any predator. Called the dec agent and he said something similar happened to him and he never found his bird. This really sucks

Thats rough. Sorry to hear. Maybe grid search a little? 

I was out on a bird ive been hunting all season. Started gobbling at 4:55. I couldnt get where i wanted because the woods were crunchy but i was within 70 yds. He flew down the other way and basically did a loop around me. He was out in a field when i left for work. He gobbled probably 100 times. This bird is smart. If i get out sunday im going to ambush him, sit silent.

didnt hear any other birds or see anything else on the way out.

tomorrow im hitting CT state land for the closer. 

42 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

No tracks of any kind. It’s definitely the spot I stomped it’s head. I’m doubting that it was any predator. Called the dec agent and he said something similar happened to him and he never found his bird. This really sucks

Dang, that's a tough pill to swallow. Talk about bad luck!

Between being shot and stomped, he probably didn't go far. Search all the nearby nooks and cranny's, and under bushes.

Don't think it would be a coyote, as after the shot, they will high tail it out of there.

Hope your luck improves and you find him!

shot one with a bow once and never found it during the fall season.  But it would seem like after a shot and a stomp that critter couldnt have gone far.  I had a deer eaten by coyotes to nothing last year.  If you were gone for a half an hour a yote could have cert been in the area.  Was it a jake and a raptor carried it off?  Seen some eagles and hawks carry some big stuff in the air.  Or any other hunters nearby?  Would def do a good grid search doesnt seem it would go far if it wasnt taken. http://video.foxnews.com/v/5788424377001/?#sp=show-clips   best of luck - hope good news for you! 

shot one with a bow once and never found it during the fall season.  But it would seem like after a shot and a stomp that critter couldnt have gone far.  I had a deer eaten by coyotes to nothing last year.  If you were gone for a half an hour a yote could have cert been in the area.  Was it a jake and a raptor carried it off?  Seen some eagles and hawks carry some big stuff in the air.  Or any other hunters nearby?  Would def do a good grid search doesnt seem it would go far if it wasnt taken. http://video.foxnews.com/v/5788424377001/?#sp=show-clips   best of luck - hope good news for you! 

It was a 2 year old Tom at least. Smallish beard so I’m thinking 2 years old. No other hunters, but yotes have never been a problem here. Only thing I see a lot is fox, but I don’t think it would come in after the shot like that.