2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Did you also like the old heavyweight versus the new replacement tss ? Pattern was tighter and no gaps with the old I thought. The new are great too but did see a little difference on paper. No experience with the 20 loads on birds yet but one of the 2 birds this year ( 30 yards ) barely flopped The other at 18 was XR 5’s And was equally dead I’m curious what a 3.5” load of 9’s ( although illegal in ny ) would look like on a splatter turkey target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a 12ga 3" handload 2.25oz of 8s for my 535. i didnt buy any specialty choke for it. Tested it with the factory xxfull 670 and an undertaker 665 i had in another gun. It was an awesome hunting pattern and not super tight. If I remember right it was around 320 in 10" @ 40 and about a little higher outside the 10" wasnt too much of a difference between the chokes. With the 665 doing a tad better than the 670. If i load anymore for that it will probably be 7s or bigger for coyotes. Turkeys with a 20ga is fun! lol   

Did you also like the old heavyweight versus the new replacement tss ? Pattern was tighter and no gaps with the old I thought. The new are great too but did see a little difference on paper. No experience with the 20 loads on birds yet but one of the 2 birds this year ( 30 yards ) barely flopped The other at 18 was XR 5’s And was equally dead I’m curious what a 3.5” load of 9’s ( although illegal in ny ) would look like on a splatter turkey target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't personally shot the Federal TSS loads yet, but I haven't been all that impressed with the numbers I've seen other guys put up compared to what they should be capable of. My gun will put up 180+ with HW 7's, most examples I've seen with the Fed TSS 9's are only around 220 or so. Good handloads of TSS 9 will be close to, or over, 300. It may just take a choke maker figuring out the sweet spot for the new Federal wad, but if I'm spending that much on shells I'll just load my own for maximum performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk