Other (NON Hunting) Forums You Frequent?

Lawdwaz

5 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I just tossed out my old White detector from  the ‘ 70’s . Been toying with the idea to get back into it .

I have 2 detectors that perform quite well, a Whites Coinmaster GT and Teknetics Patriot. They are both digital, not like the old Whites you tossed which were analog. It is great hobby, especially when the lull between hunting seasons. Give it a go again, you will be happy you did!

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 5:13 PM, Dinsdale said:

Africahunting.com, accurate reloading, 24 hr campfire, a Blaser/Sauer rifle forum, tacoma world, private bird watching group, and check taxidermy.net and some knife making boards occasionally.

Hey, what is 24hr Campfire about? 

34 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Hey, what is 24hr Campfire about? 

Its a looney bin.

Just a hunting/gun forum, decent classifieds for the most part. Mostly Americans, but a few Canucks, and a handful from other places.

I find it super "clique"y if thats a word......the "regulars" will give advice that is very outdated at times but have like 50,000 posts so folks take their word as gospel. 

Lawdwaz posts there, couple others I see from this thread, but we use the same screen names, not sure about anyone else from this forum.

I know a couple guys from African section that have a clue (as there are many who don't, that post just awful advice there) so I check that out and a few other boards. I post once and a while just in case I use the classifieds and it adds to a post count a little. Bought and sold a few things there over the years with good transactions.

I'm sure Lawdwaz could add more, he has hung out there more and knows way more members than I do.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Its a looney bin.

Just a hunting/gun forum, decent classifieds for the most part. Mostly Americans, but a few Canucks, and a handful from other places.

I find it super "clique"y if thats a word......the "regulars" will give advice that is very outdated at times but have like 50,000 posts so folks take their word as gospel. 

Lawdwaz posts there, couple others I see from this thread, but we use the same screen names, not sure about anyone else from this forum.

I know a couple guys from African section that have a clue (as there are many who don't, that post just awful advice there) so I check that out and a few other boards. I post once and a while just in case I use the classifieds and it adds to a post count a little. Bought and sold a few things there over the years with good transactions.

Thank you for that info.  You seem to have been to many places, would you happen to know of any deep woods backcountry Canada forums? That are about bush living, and remoteness?

There's a pretty good Alaskan one, but I haven't been there in years and don't have the name or link handy. I can try and look around for it.....

Some years ago I became friends with a guide I met when on a semi guided Caribou hunt way the hell up in Canada who lived a subsistence lifestyle in a tiny village of only 60 Newfies, but actually in Quebec just off the Saint Lawrence Seaway. Just a occasional mail boat scheduled to go there once a month. Got to visit him a few times, was the best outdoorsman I have ever met; one could learn a thing or two if you could hook up with someone like that for a spell. I did.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

There's a pretty good Alaskan one, but I haven't been there in years and don't have the name or link handy. I can try and look around for it.....

Some years ago I became friends with a guide I met when on a semi guided Caribou hunt way the hell up in Canada who lived a subsistence lifestyle in a tiny village of only 60 Newfies, but actually in Quebec just off the Saint Lawrence Seaway. Just a occasional mail boat scheduled to go there once a month. Got to visit him a few times, was the best outdoorsman I have ever met; one could learn a thing or two if you could hook up with someone like that for a spell. I did.

That is awesome, I am extremely awe inspired by such things.  It is something I would love to experience at some point in my life, something about that way of life, in THOSE setting, deep in wilderness, leaves me with a feeling that I cannot describe.   I envy the trips you seem to have been on.  Good for you, and thank you for sharing.  I feel I could sit down, and just ask you a million questions.  Have a good night.

25 minutes ago, Bionic said:

That is awesome, I am extremely awe inspired by such things.  It is something I would love to experience at some point in my life, something about that way of life, in THOSE setting, deep in wilderness, leaves me with a feeling that I cannot describe.   I envy the trips you seem to have been on.  Good for you, and thank you for sharing.  I feel I could sit down, and just ask you a million questions.  Have a good night.

Eh....lots of members here with more knowledge than me; paddling Yukon rivers, hunting Alaska DYI, the Rockies, wandering around the Daks' ,etc.

Lots of cool places out there to see......

@Bionic 

24C is fairly extensive so you should be able to find some interesting info. As Dinsdale says, the classified is large and moves very fast. The Campfire section of 24C is a tough read - lonely internet constructs trying to out stupid each other. Proceed with caution. 

Have you seen Alone? The last season was won by Canadian brothers (you'll probably want to kill them a few episodes in) and the first few seasons were set on Vancouver Island. Beautiful place but a tough slog with the continual wet.

Newfoundland is gorgeous. Fair warning, a day in the woods without DEET and headnetting and you'll be leaping off a cliff. Great people; great food. My wife's family are all Newfies. 

Try bushcraftusa and there may be some specific Canadian material. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, left field said:

@Bionic 

24C is fairly extensive so you should be able to find some interesting info. As Dinsdale says, the classified is large and moves very fast. The Campfire section of 24C is a tough read - lonely internet constructs trying to out stupid each other. Proceed with caution. 

Have you seen Alone? The last season was won by Canadian brothers (you'll probably want to kill them a few episodes in) and the first few seasons were set on Vancouver Island. Beautiful place but a tough slog with the continual wet.

Newfoundland is gorgeous. Fair warning, a day in the woods without DEET and headnetting and you'll be leaping off a cliff. Great people; great food. My wife's family are all Newfies. 

Try bushcraftusa and there may be some specific Canadian material. 

Thank you.

Yes, I have seen Alone.  I am more of a "The Last Alaskan's" tv show fan, I love the extreme remoteness.  

I appreciate your info, thanks again.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 6:28 PM, Bionic said:

Thank you for that info.  You seem to have been to many places, would you happen to know of any deep woods backcountry Canada forums? That are about bush living, and remoteness?

Bionic, I would hit YouTube  with a bushcraft search. Some of them have websites with forums. You could just do a web search, but you may find sites that think back country camping means you have to walk 100 feet from your car to your site and the toilet is an out house, but still have showers.

I was rereading this and realized I forgot to mention Smoking Meat Forums. I love that site. Spent some reading through it and learned a lot. Only have a few posts over there, but I only just started using a smoker last Fall. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Bionic, I would hit YouTube  with a bushcraft search. Some of them have websites with forums. You could just do a web search, but you may find sites that think back country camping means you have to walk 100 feet from your car to your site and the toilet is an out house, but still have showers.

I was rereading this and realized I forgot to mention Smoking Meat Forums. I love that site. Spent some reading through it and learned a lot. Only have a few posts over there, but I only just started using a smoker last Fall. 

Great idea,  thank you.  The smoking meat forum, I will suggest to my dad, it is in his blood from the family farm in PA.  He loves that stuff, thank you.

I watch Maddy the Goose channel on Youtube.  He backcountry canoe camps in Ontario, typically Algonquin Provincial Park.  He is so real, and interested to watch.  He could really have a tv show in my opinion.  I should search some more on YouTube,  but typically watch Can Am side by side stuff lol.