Picked up six more apple trees at Home Depot they where half priced for some reason that makes a total of twelve new trees this year at hunting camp..

7C9150C1-3CB3-482D-A47A-9E56F5AA939A.thumb.jpeg.88aac7e57e888477699043f30b50eb66.jpeg
08731E95-5178-461B-A60D-89980631BDE4.thumb.jpeg.0a6599d1af61d02631053ae64f003803.jpeg

How many more years until they produce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good job!!

Grafted 4 trees today for neighbor, and planted 2 of my own, 10 more coming next week.

I have several 10 tree orchards around the property after fencing to keep the deer off them both horns and browsing buds In spring. After the reached 3 to 5 in in diameter I removed fences. The biggest issue I have now is bear.. climbing them and breaking off limbs.amd or just pulling them down snapping the roots. I've found 3/4 to 7/8 whips produced in about 5 years. Larger diameter produce faster. But all 1st year plantings all flowers should be removed so they put energy into the roots anot fruit. 

Great to see everyone so active, it's motivating for me. I planted ten kieffer pear trees and one harvest pear tree in the last  week. Thanks again to Ryan from Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery he was great in every way including reaching out to me and explaining what is goals are and why he selects certain trees. Even better he is a forum member. 

I have another four pear trees and four apple trees to go. I ton of work to do by hand but I couldn't be happier to do it.

I grafted 8 apple trees on to M111 rootstock about a week ago.  Waiting to see if the grafts take.  I don't know the variety of any of the trees I grafted, but they are all good producers from places that I hunt.  None of them are crab apples. 

1 is an old variety that was planted on the family farm before my grandfather bought  the place.  1 is a yellow apple that is growing on the roadside.  An old timer told me they make really good cider.  1 is a heavy producer of small, red apples.  The people who planted them twenty years ago have since moved away.  The last is a very old tree that is on my Mom's lawn.  It produces huge apples, and I suspect it might be a Wolf River.  

We'll see if my grafts are successful.  If so, I will plant them in pots and keep them in a nursery, then plant them this fall or the following spring.  It's a long process, but hopefully it will be worth it.  

Why didn't I think of doing stuff like this twenty years ago?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

I grafted 8 apple trees on to M111 rootstock about a week ago.  Waiting to see if the grafts take.  I don't know the variety of any of the trees I grafted, but they are all good producers from places that I hunt.  None of them are crab apples. 

1 is an old variety that was planted on the family farm before my grandfather bought  the place.  1 is a yellow apple that is growing on the roadside.  An old timer told me they make really good cider.  1 is a heavy producer of small, red apples.  The people who planted them twenty years ago have since moved away.  The last is a very old tree that is on my Mom's lawn.  It produces huge apples, and I suspect it might be a Wolf River.  

We'll see if my grafts are successful.  If so, I will plant them in pots and keep them in a nursery, then plant them this fall or the following spring.  It's a long process, but hopefully it will be worth it.  

Why didn't I think of doing stuff like this twenty years ago?

I’ve been thinking about this stuff for quiet some time;;; I was fortunate enough to be able to acquire my own land which I never thought I would have the opportunity to do,,, It’s only been four years but every year the improvements get better,,, I wish I could of started this stuff long ago but hopefully will reap the benefits in the coming years but I know my son will for sure.