Not an emotional guy, but...

mowin

About 18-20 yrs ago, I took my nephew on his first turkey hunt. He was using his older brothers, Mark,  870. Mark passed in a farming accident a couple yr prior, and Adam wanted to try hunting to honor his brothers memory.  Adam took a very nice tom that morning. 

Unfortunately, Adam passed in a house fire in 2011 leaving behind  a wife and 3 kids.  I keep there dads memory alive with stories of hunting trips, and luckily, both boys were very eager to experience what their dad loved to do. 

Last yr, kayden was old enough for youth turkey season.  We hunted under the same tree as his dad and I did many yrs ago. Kayden took his first, a nice tom on the second morning, using the same 870.  Later that morning, Dominic piped up and said he hoped he could take his first bird under the same tree next yr when he would be old enough to hunt.   Oh boy.. talk about pressure.  

Well, I'm happy to report, we did it.  Dom took his first sitting under the same tree, using the same 870 as his dad and older brother.  

I'm not a emotional guy, but got to admit, I got a little choked up.   Have to think Mark and Adam had something to do with it. 

Here's the kicker, Adams daughter wants to hunt next yr. Unfortunately,  the property is changing hands, and I know this will be my final spring chasing turkeys on this property.  The new owners will be opening up some fancy Inn and restaurant with walking trails throughout.  

The lucky tree is in the background. 

IMG_20180421_071228856.jpg

Edited by mowin
  • Like 32

What a beautiful story. Got a big ol' lump in my throat while reading it. No doubt in my mind, that there were some smiling faces from above. To go along with the smiling ones down here. You my friend, are the definition of the true hunter spirit. It really is all about making and keeping memories alive. My hat is off to the young hunters, past and present. And also to you sir. Congratulations! 

• Like 1

That’s awesome, love these type of stories.getting misty eyed for your kids ,grandkids nieces or nephews etc .  doesn't make a mane weak, if anything it makes him more of a man.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1