Is it hunting?

G-Man

4 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Why? Because it’s relevant and so ironic that a guy that has no problem using such a lowly careless method feels he has a right to judge anything hunting related. 

Weren’t you the guy who posted about that thread in other threads? 

No.  Never mentioned the other thread.  

The OP is only discussing a topic about what he considers hunting. He didn't bash anyone on there style of way of hunting. Simply stating his opinion.  Do I agree with him?  No, but I'm surely not going to take my time to quote him on another thread where I disagreed with him there too.  

Oh well.  Going to pick up the grandnephews for day two of youth turkey season.  If you're going out this morning, good luck.  

• Like 1

Hunting is a huge collection of combined activities. Marksmanship is one element of hunting. Patterning the prey and getting close enough is another element of hunting, understanding your prey is another part, and on and on. They are all pieces of hunting. So yes long-range harvests are "hunting". Is long range hunting as challenging as styles of hunting that require up-close-and-personal harvests? .... Well, that is a different discussion. But no, shooting distance is not the entire definition of what is hunting and what is not.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 5

Some of the hunting shows on TV will be rifle hunting over a beautiful crop field surrounded by undisturbed bedding areas. As the hunter and camera man sit and watch several deer out in the field waiting for a 'shooter' to come out within 250 yards, sometimes longer distances. It's hunting, but to most hunters who don't have a set up like that, it seems like shooting ducks in a bath tub......compared to hunting public land or areas of private land that see hunting pressure. Must be nice! It looks like fun to me, and I like all forms of hunting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mowin said:

No.  Never mentioned the other thread.  

The OP is only discussing a topic about what he considers hunting. He didn't bash anyone on there style of way of hunting. Simply stating his opinion.  Do I agree with him?  No, but I'm surely not going to take my time to quote him on another thread where I disagreed with him there too.  

Oh well.  Going to pick up the grandnephews for day two of youth turkey season.  If you're going out this morning, good luck.  

Short term memory I guess, moving on  

mowin

Sorry... I truly believe that most of the " illegal is illegal crew has done something in there lives weather it's game related or a traffic violation that's illegal.  

If there so vocal to bash someone for violating ANY game law weather it's a squirrel or deer, then they should turn themselves in for doing 56mph in a 55 mph zone.  There's no difference.  You broke the law... Shame on you.

Don't say it's different... The law is the law.. PERIOD.  Weather it's a traffic violation or game law, it's the same thing.

Soooo, how many of these " game law" followers are law breakers in different fields

11 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Short term memory I guess, moving on  

mowin

Sorry... I truly believe that most of the " illegal is illegal crew has done something in there lives weather it's game related or a traffic violation that's illegal.  

If there so vocal to bash someone for violating ANY game law weather it's a squirrel or deer, then they should turn themselves in for doing 56mph in a 55 mph zone.  There's no difference.  You broke the law... Shame on you.

Don't say it's different... The law is the law.. PERIOD.  Weather it's a traffic violation or game law, it's the same thing.

Soooo, how many of these " game law" followers are law breakers in different fields

Wow.   Did I ever mention the other thread.. no.  Also that thread was directed at all the BS that's been going on in this forum.  

Seems you have nothing better to do then to troll others.  Good job.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What about putting sponges in sausage casings with bacon grease rubbed on it to kill coyotes what is that teaching the next generation of hunters? 

I dont give a rats patio how far away someone kills something or any of the other scenarios you put up. Who the heck are you to pass judgement? 
Go kick rocks. 

Wow guy you just can’t let it go. Get a life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whatever weapon one prefers to use to make the kill is the end game, "hunting" is searching out and finding game then putting yourself in position for a shot to make a kill clean as sure as possible. Terrain and habitat can make hunting kill scenarios vary widely, use whatever weapon it takes to get that kill accomplished for each particular situation. Ideally that would be a weapon the hunter is proficient with and has confidence in, and be suited for whatever the distances that may be faced with in the area they will be hunting in.

Al

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Wow.   Did I ever mention the other thread.. no.  Also that thread was directed at all the BS that's been going on in this forum.  

Seems you have nothing better to do then to troll others.  Good job.. 

How bout staying on topic. 

My post was not trolling, it was questioning how he could possibly pass judgement given his other comments. 

You choose to try and attack me and it didn’t work out for you. 

Now back on topic of passing judgement. 

4 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

What is a gorget? 

You started a thread based on passing judgement but you don’t pass judgement? Yea ok. Makes sense like the word gorget. 

Gorget is a stick tied to a line sharpened on both ends its baited and swollowed then you retired as its caught in games throat. An early form of a hook, or you can ball up a whale bone and cover it in a fat ball and let it be swollowed the fat melts in the stomach and bone unveils killing the prey from the inside as it punctures internal organs....

As for this post I simply asked what people thought. And gave my point of view ..I don't berate people on how they hunt.. I dont look down upon people for shootinglong range I simply stated it just not for me.. 

You need to learn to read and use context.!!!

I feel like I'm chatting with my niece and nephew.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Gorget is a stick tied to a line sharpened on both ends its baited and swollowed then you retired as its caught in games throat. An early form of a hook, or you can ball up a whale bone and cover it in a fat ball and let it be swollowed the fat melts in the stomach and bone unveils killing the prey from the inside as it punctures internal organs....

As for this post I simply asked what people thought. And gave my point of view ..I don't berate people on how they hunt.. I dont look down upon people for shootinglong range I simply stated it just not for me.. 

You need to learn to read and use context.!!!

I feel like I'm chatting with my niece and nephew.

A lot of what you type out doesn’t make sense. Here and other posts. 

Maybe learn to proff read and write before attempting to attack me for reading and context. 

Sorry for messing up your post on judging others and bragging about how awesome you are because you like the way you hunt better than the way the next guy hunts. 

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Hunting is a huge collection of combined activities. Marksmanship is one element of hunting. Patterning the prey and getting close enough is another element of hunting, understanding your prey is another part, and on and on. They are all pieces of hunting. So yes long-range harvests are "hunting". Is long range hunting as challenging as styles of hunting that require up-close-and-personal harvests? .... Well, that is a different discussion. But no, shooting distance is not the entire definition of what is hunting and what is not.

True, I just wonder if instruction of a new hunter if long range marksmanship is where I would start. Obviously marksmanship is important with any weapon. I just wonder as my friends kids are learning long range thru a school program where 200 yard shot on deer is the norm (parent doesn't hunt). I just believe the distance takes away from the relationship/awe that one attains from truly watching the game at close quarters. It seems almost mechanical at range emotion seems removed.. I've watched the youths raise their gun seeing deer 250 yards away quickly non stealthily.. that would not work at 50 yards.. patients seems to be lacking in the hunts I've seen taped by the program sit in blind watch way across field and shoot.. not sure that's how I would of like to teach my kids.

Although the result is the same.. game is taken.. 

Just.my thoughts. ....

4 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Shooting well IS a vital hunting skill . If you can't shoot well you're a poor hunter..

Marksman ship is important with any weapon in hunting. Very true.

But to me shooting at distance is a disconnection from the animal you pursue. 

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Marksman ship is important with any weapon in hunting. Very true.

But to me shooting at distance is a disconnection from the animal you pursue. 

I definitely see your point. I personally  prefer close range hunting , no matter the weapon. I probably spend 25% of my time in stand with my eyes closed, relying on my hearing. Occasionaly napping.  Am i still hunting ? Lol..

Works well for me..

• Like 1

To me, it’s huting still because you have to be a good enough shot For a successful kill. I think there’s many logistical and ethical factors involved in what we perceive as “hunting” vs “not hunting”. For example, if said Hunter is taking a Deer at 100 yards in a stand or blind in a spot that was scouted by him/ her and they had to make it to their spot and post watch without getting busted, the. I would definitely consider it hunting and a “fair chase and take” situation. If however, the shooter is sitting in their truck and happen to drive by a field loaded with deer and take one, that is clearly not hunting in my book. There are no absolutes involved in ethics , there is always gray and situation specific. Just my 2 cents too :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

A lot of what you type out doesn’t make sense. Here and other posts. 

Maybe learn to proff read and write before attempting to attack me for reading and context. 

Sorry for messing up your post on judging others and bragging about how awesome you are because you like the way you hunt better than the way the next guy hunts. 

Maybe you should "proff read" your own posts before slamming others ! I believe the word you meant to type was proof .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Maybe you should "proff read" your own posts before slamming others ! I believe the word you meant to type was proof .

You do know I did that on purpose right? 

Way to add to a thread. 

And he came at me first fella. 

Oh and my first post auto corrected to patio instead of patoo but I left it because it was funny. Just in case you want to keep this going. 

Edited by Doewhacker
Added info for Eddie

19 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Anyone can kill a deer with a high powered rifle and most any distance. Does not take much" Hunting" to do that.  If the masses had to hunt with short range weapons they would quit.

It's hard to tell with you, but don't you raise deer and let people hunt behind your fences?

This is really starting to look like just another anti gun thread. If everyone is so die hard that the guns are the reason for deer declines, then maybe you should get in those marches the kids are putting on.

Ban the guns, then all the elite bow hunters will finally STFU! FFS! Does anyone read the crap they post these days? Sorry, to many die hard bow hunters are starting to sound like anti gun people. Way to go in the fight to defend the 2nd Amendment. Thank you for your contribution to help Andy ban guns, it's much appreciated.